Expensive headphones really worth it?
Jun 24, 2010 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

TheThrane

New Head-Fier
Hey there!
I've been looking around at this forum, asked some question and finally decided to buy a pair of M50's as my entrance to the world of audiophiles. But one click away from ordering the M50's, it hit me if it's worth the money? The M50's cost 140 pound where i live and I, a poor student, was wondering if the step up in sound quality is really worth the money? 

I know that asking this question on a forum dedicated to sound lovers, likely all the answers will be "YES!", but if someone could please convince me... I want the feeling that when i lie in my bed in the dark, the music just flows beautifully into my ears making me relax and forget about all my little worries.

Jun 24, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 36
I'm not totally up on exchange rates, but it sounds to me like you're about to pay twice as much as you should for m50s. Shop around some more, heck, maybe even have some shipped from the US.

Should you get m50s? Yes. Should you pay 140 pounds for them? No. $100 US is a more reasonable price.

Jun 24, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 36
It's all relative. Whether they will sound good to you really depends on what you're used to listening to. If you're used to just listening to some crappy earbuds that came with your mp3 player/ ipod/ whatever, then you're in for quite a treat.

Jun 24, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #5 of 36
Yeah, you seem to be paying a bit of a premium for them.

Jun 24, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #6 of 36
I know i could get a new car for that price 
wink_face.gif
 but they don't sell them in my country, Denmark, so have to buy them from here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Headphones-ear-cup/dp/B000ULAP4U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277423395&sr=1-1

Anyway, i use to listen to the earbuds that comes with the ipod so i guess there will be a world in diffrence?

Jun 24, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 36
I'll buy into this but cannot give advice as "worth it" depends on so many factors:

1.  The quality of the material being listened to (and that covers a HUGE field both hardware & software)

2.  How often headphones are used

3.  The budget

4.  The degree of insanity of the audiophile.

OK, I'll confess to being absolutely insame as I've just spent heaps on a pair of Sennheiser HD 800's.  I cannot comment on them yet as they just arrived but first impressions are fine.

BUT there are some very good alternatives.  We have been away for a month and I took with us a Cowan S9 with heaps of classical music in FLAC form.  The earbuds used were q-Jays and the quality of reproduction rather flawed me - great from top to bottom.  I've not been a fan of earphones/earbuds in the past and detested compressed audio but have been forced to revise these prejudices.

John

Jun 24, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 36

Quote:
I know i could get a new car for that price 
wink_face.gif
 but they don't sell them in my country, Denmark, so have to buy them from here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Headphones-ear-cup/dp/B000ULAP4U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277423395&sr=1-1

Anyway, i use to listen to the earbuds that comes with the ipod so i guess there will be a world in diffrence?

Shop ebay. You can get those same headphones for a third of the price on amazonUK. 130 pounds is exorbitant!

Jun 24, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #9 of 36
Might look around some more, hopefully getting a much lower price. But what do you guys say to this versus match:

Default iPod earbuds Vs. ATH-M50
Conditions: Both played from iPod Touch
Amp: No amp
Sound: All songs is 320 kbps

Jun 24, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #11 of 36
You won't be dissapointed the ATH-M50's blow stock earbuds out of water and then continue to launch them above the clouds.

Jun 24, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #13 of 36
Yes. However, you have to invest in the total system. Quality source material is essential - I prefer SACD and vinyl - and you have to have an amp capable of fully powering the headphones you have.

I've found it worth it, since I really enjoy music. I've also been able to keep my upgraditis in check, too. I've bought more music and parts for DIY projects, but haven't made a serious investment for more than a year now. However, I've been thinking hard about the JH13 and the LCD-2. Both were true highlights of CanJam for me.

I don't really need the LCD-2, but now that I've got full-sized headphones nailed down (both dynamic and 'stat) as well as a serious speaker rig, a quality portable rig seems like a good idea.

Jun 25, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #14 of 36
Well of course. more money means more investment to create the phones,

well except for some phones (looking at dre beats.)

like for myself i auditioned the ps1000 and oh my god. my ms2i and 325i are just like puny headphones. right now im planning to sell both my phones to get the ps1000

but the best thing to do is test those expensive headphones then you DECIDE if its worth it 
L3000.gif

Jun 25, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #15 of 36
You asking us?

What can I say? The sound gets better, yes, it sounds more true to life, the venue comes to the life and all the instruments in place? Help you relax? That's up to the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back