Evolving the UM Reference: A New Chapter for the Mason Series—Mason Nuit Étoilée & Soleil Tombé
Jan 30, 2024 at 2:22 AM Post #136 of 194
I think that considering these pricings a normal as per previous happenings isn't particularly savvy , and that reacting is the normal

It's been discussed more and more on why someone cares about late rampant greedy pricing practices from some brands and what this cause in the market of totl iems

why not ..and how is this opposite or counterproductive to discuss what's happening here and how/why totl prices change and changing so fast as for late ..

I don't have 0.1% interest in listening to these IEMs , I'm sure someone else is in line with me so ..

it has been discussed through and more and more though

may be normal and good for you , but not for anyone who could afford same things before price escalated .., but now he's left without much choice when those items and their parents on other companies progressively followed trend and got to the fast price-hike treatment ..it's the trend , so : why not ?

I am not curious at all about the sound of Soleil Tombèe , I live well without knowing it ; but I am against companies rising more and more the bar of price irrationally just ' because there is a chance '
there's no ethic and no rationale besides maximum greed , other totl brands will shortly follow and my chances to buy totl iems will narrow and lessen at a faster rate
You do your thing and I do my thing. Neither can you stop me from buying an $8,500 IEM, nor can you stop UM, Oriolus, PMG, Noble Audio, Rhapsodio to name a few from making them.

I am sure that many will agree with your view and some will agree with mine too. Let us leave this discussion at that.

When was this planet a fair place in its known history of a few thousand years is a question everyone should ask.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 4:09 AM Post #138 of 194
At this rate, the company is going to release another “upgrade” in a few months for $9000. And by next year, they’ll come out with $10,000 models. This marketing habit is contagious and it only emboldens other companies to do the same.

It is an unstoppable virus.
Look at the positive side though, we have so many fantastic IEMs in the $100 - $2,000 range that there is actually no need to even go further.

I can make a list of IEMs that are so good at this range that I have not felt the need to buy anything above $2000.

The most expensive IEM in my collection is $1,300 and it is a gem. I just finalized an IEM for $1,750 and I have feeling that it will sound like a TOTL.

Amber Pearl is already floating in the market for $5 K and I am sure that they will start selling at much lesser in the near future.

We can try Mentor at $2 K pretty soon too.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #140 of 194
Look at the positive side though, we have so many fantastic IEMs in the $100 - $2,000 range that there is actually no need to even go further.

I can make a list of IEMs that are so good at this range that I have not felt the need to buy anything above $2000.

The most expensive IEM in my collection is $1,300 and it is a gem. I just finalized an IEM for $1,750 and I have feeling that it will sound like a TOTL.

Amber Pearl is already floating in the market for $5 K and I am sure that they will start selling at much lesser in the near future.

We can try Mentor at $2 K pretty soon too.
Then why are you posturing as if you're "threatening" to buy an $8,500 IEM. Apologia for bad practices is really something else. No one said anything about fairness either.
If you find a Mentor for 2k, lemme know so I can buy it.

Jan 30, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #141 of 194
Then why are you posturing as if you're "threatening" to buy an $8,500 IEM. Apologia for bad practices is really something else. No one said anything about fairness either.
If you find a Mentor for 2k, lemme know so I can buy it.
I have started clearly that I could buy a $8500 IEM if I wanted to. I prefer IEMs at under $2K for now. You will find a Mentor for $2K by April or May and the biggest reason for this will be the Amber Pearl and Mason 2024 edition.

Even though many people are complaining about the bad business practices of Unique Melody, I see this as a big opportunity. People who are going to buy these IEMs, despite the price and the so called bad business practices of UM. They are also going to sell some of their IEMs. As many have mentioned that money is no object for these people, isn't it obvious that the new releases will flush out the older versions at deep discounts?

I am also quite confident that frequency shifting BCD and the other new tech which UM is raving about will somehow get copied or even improved upon by other manufacturers such a Canpur or Nobel who have had remarkable success with BCD tech too.

I am sure that many have already heard how good the Canpur 622B is at around $3 K. Noble Spartacus has also made a good name for itself in the mid-fi segment.

Why criticize UM if it is leading the way and doing what it has been doing for years?

We are on the same side brother. Relax

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #142 of 194
I have started clearly that I could buy a $8500 IEM if I wanted to. I prefer IEMs at under $2K for now. You will find a Mentor for $2K by April or May and the biggest reason for this will be the Amber Pearl and Mason 2024 edition.

Even though many people are complaining about the bad business practices of Unique Melody, I see this as a big opportunity. People who are going to buy these IEMs, despite the price and the so called bad business practices of UM. They are also going to sell some of their IEMs. As many have mentioned that money is no object for these people, isn't it obvious that the new releases will flush out the older versions at deep discounts?

I am also quite confident that frequency shifting BCD and the other new tech which UM is raving about will somehow get copied or even improved upon by other manufacturers such a Canpur or Nobel who have had remarkable success with BCD tech too.

I am sure that many have already heard how good the Canpur 622B is at around $3 K. Noble Spartacus has also made a good name for itself in the mid-fi segment.

Why criticize UM if it is leading the way and doing what it has been doing for years?

We are on the same side brother. Relax
There are only 99 Amber Pearls in existence. It’s highly unlikely that they will impact the used market price of MM. In fact we’d have already seen that if it were to happen.

Jan 30, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #143 of 194
1) Yes, and we are open to CIEMs orders.
2) Straight to my ears the sound is more open with a lot more air than Le Jardin
There is also more and deeper bass. They are very different to my ears, different enough to call them the next generation not just in terms of technology.
On the tech side, explanations from Sam: the BC-Turbo boost the voltage to the BCD 20x more than the traditional approach. So the vibration will be enhanced 3x on average. For example, the new BC-booster can effectively boost 6k solely from BCD, it will effectively improve the clarity and openness but control the sharpness and distortion to minimal. It is almost impossible to be done by acoustic drivers, considering Mason already equipped with the best of the best BAs. It is doable on Le Jardin(and other UM BCDs), but you have to find a DAP has very high voltage output (with low distortion) which is rare in high end DAPs. The same philosophy applies to other frequencies.
What's the sound signature and which genres are more suited for the Mason?

Jan 30, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #144 of 194
At this rate, the company is going to release another “upgrade” in a few months for $9000. And by next year, they’ll come out with $10,000 models. This marketing habit is contagious and it only emboldens other companies to do the same.

It is an unstoppable virus.

I haven't followed the market in extreme detail over the past decade+ since I last purchased a CIEM from UM, so others are far more familiar with each generational price increase, but I suspect that if UM had included release prices for every generation in that 'road-map' chart, it'd probably raise some eyebrows.

Perhaps I am mistaken, but I imagine it'd probably indicate a steep upward curve.

Well, all I can say to UM is "live by the sword; die by the sword". Que sera sera.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #145 of 194
1) Yes, and we are open to CIEMs orders.
2) Straight to my ears the sound is more open with a lot more air than Le Jardin
There is also more and deeper bass. They are very different to my ears, different enough to call them the next generation not just in terms of technology.
On the tech side, explanations from Sam: the BC-Turbo boost the voltage to the BCD 20x more than the traditional approach. So the vibration will be enhanced 3x on average. For example, the new BC-booster can effectively boost 6k solely from BCD, it will effectively improve the clarity and openness but control the sharpness and distortion to minimal. It is almost impossible to be done by acoustic drivers, considering Mason already equipped with the best of the best BAs. It is doable on Le Jardin(and other UM BCDs), but you have to find a DAP has very high voltage output (with low distortion) which is rare in high end DAPs. The same philosophy applies to other frequencies.
Ignoring effects of BCD, would they be comparable to RH / LJ with a lift and extension on the bottom end?

Jan 30, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #147 of 194
How many units of Mason 2024 are they going to be able to sell as per your estimates?
Did they sell out of those ridiculously priced Indigos? Weren't they limited? Until MKIII was released!

Jan 31, 2024 at 2:09 AM Post #148 of 194
Personal i live in Hong Kong and that is just a hour or 2 away from UM China Headquarter
Yesterday, UM invite me to try the all new Mason which I still not make up my mind yet, firstly because Mason series work better for classical music (thats why I never try the old mason), secondly Chinese New year is up coming which there are a lot to spend even if I try it now I probably won’t spend 8500USD/61900RMB righ before the Chinese new year.

And I did ask them about why releasing the Amber Pearl right before this Mason and not wait for this Mason to bundle with which make a lot of sense to me, and their official answer is Amber Pearl is kinda of a special tailored version for another company and they did not court as their official release of Mason series, and only the 2021 fs(msrp 8000?) one is, so which mean it is a 3/4years upgrade.

In China; the 2nd hand market price for2021 Mason FS is rmb~15000, 2023 multiverse mentor 21000, MEST mk2 5-6k. I probably will just wait for people to resell their 2024 Mason lol

Jan 31, 2024 at 3:48 AM Post #150 of 194
No one is barking by the way....

Instead of following your precious advice , i will stand criticizing them :wink: for pricing 8000$ something they source and build for 1/10 of the price ( probably less ) is ' offensive ' for somebody , and limiting for somebody else ; this would remain a personal matter and not translate into a more general problem : if it didn't become a rule , and inflating prices and pricings on flagship iems didn't became common as much as there's option to do it , so that other brands are progressively invited to the table .

Since it happens and the brands responsible for doing are out there and know well about their greedy ways and effect,
I am happy to denunce it (and of course not accept your advice to mute adapt and look it another way ); and I will do eventually too for any brand that follows a similar rampant blindly speculative behavior

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back