Evolving the UM Reference: A New Chapter for the Mason Series—Mason Nuit Étoilée & Soleil Tombé
Jan 29, 2024 at 6:32 AM Post #121 of 202
Nope, the last Mason iteration was the Le Jardin in 2022 and it was $7,999.
Ok, then I don't understand it anymore. I thought the new "Mason FS" was the successor to the old "Mason FS". Isn't that what the name suggests? If that's not the case and the new Mason FS is the successor to "Le Jardin", I didn't get it, but that would be because UM made a big, very big communication error 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jan 29, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #122 of 202
Ok, then I don't understand it anymore. I thought the new "Mason FS" was the successor to the old "Mason FS". Isn't that what the name suggests? If that's not the case and the new Mason FS is the successor to "Le Jardin", I didn't get it, but that would be because UM made a big, very big communication error 🤷🏻‍♂️

Here is the road map that unique melody posted themselves a few days ago. It should help clear up then confusion.

IMG_8543.png

Jan 29, 2024 at 6:44 AM Post #123 of 202
Here is the road map that unique melody posted themselves a few days ago. It should help clear up then confusion.

IMG_8543.png
From the French names, I can now intuitively understand that this is the successor to Le Jardin. After all, the old Mason FS is only called "Mason FS".

Honestly, @UniqueMelody should work on the PR. It would be great if this aspect was made explicit and more was said about the exact positioning of the new Mason FS in the portfolio. Perhaps we could have spared ourselves a little agitation.

Jan 29, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #125 of 202
This is what I find so interesting. It is $500 more than a previous release and comes with additional accessories as well as (what is advertised to be) a superior cable.

Was the meltdown as bad for Le Jardin?
I was one of the early adopters of the Red Halo/Le Jardin. It was ridiculed at first but not as badly as the new iterations. The consensus was that people would only buy RH/LJ for the bragging rights. However, that changed after Canjam NY when HiFiHawaii808 bought it. It was his favorite IEM for a long while.

So, all it takes is that one of the big guns start raving about an IEM and the perception changes. No one makes fun of RH/LJ anymore.

Jan 29, 2024 at 8:43 AM Post #126 of 202
In fact , now that this discussion has been called 'meltdown' or someone else can rewind to same line models already priced 8000$ 2 years ago , the matters discussed in these pages completely make no sense or lost it

Jan 29, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #127 of 202
This is what I find so interesting. It is $500 more than a previous release and comes with additional accessories as well as (what is advertised to be) a superior cable.

It happens for every big UM release but no this is definitely the worst case I’ve seen.

Jan 29, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #128 of 202
it seems that there will always be someone who doesn't care ( legitly so ) someone else who calls out company/ies for unjustified lunar pricings -or speculation in case it is a thing: as in many cases these pricings do not seem to reflect anything rational- because the continued trend eventually drag and have been dragging up more and more and more widespreadly flagship pricings through last years , and then someone else who invites to accept it as the new normal

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #129 of 202

It happens for every big UM release but no this is definitely the worst case I’ve seen.

Really interesting chart, suggests a "generation 6" Mentor model is on the way (at minimum) before then a year of no new models, circa 2025 or 2026. This post is only speculation of course

Jan 29, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #130 of 202
First of all, I would like to apologize for not explaining the development history and design philosophy of UM's dual flagships to everyone. Here is a recently compiled list of the updates to Mason and Mentor over the years, which I hope will better illustrate how UM's dual flagship products have evolved over the years. Because AP was a product developed by UM in cooperation with Cayin and sold exclusively by Cayin, it was not included in the UM product yearbook.

The Mason series has always been UM's Statement product, and the design and development process is to spare no expense, to concentrate the best resources we can call on. For each generation of Mason, we equip him with the latest technology, introduce the best cables we can mix and match, use the most advanced shell processing technology, and cooperate with newly designed top accessories. Therefore, the original intention of Mason's development is not to find market demand and develop products accordingly, but to challenge the ceiling of IEMs performance, technology, and creativity. Mason is not a simple IEM, but a reference-grade listening solution in our current understanding.

The Mentor series was originally positioned as a secondary flagship with reduced techs from Mason, and we have continued for 4 generations. But with the fifth generation MM, we changed our thinking. The development of MM was first guided by the market. We extracted the listening preferences of audiophiles from global media and forums and conducted quantitative summaries. Based on the listening preferences of the general public, combined with the framework structure of the flagship series with BA driver as the main body, MM was developed. This is also why the first four generations of Mason and Mentor were released simultaneously, while the fifth generation Mentor was released nearly two years later than Mason.

Compared with Mason, we did not give Mentor the top cable, we controlled the price and also gave audiophiles more space to match the cables by themselves. It has been proven that even though the MM and FS look similar, the sound is completely different. One thing is certain: the draft of the next generation of Mentor has not been drawn yet, and it will not be a simple Mason-reduced work. I am also looking forward to the new Mentor, but let me first recover from the stunning experience brought to me by Mason NE/ST.

The sound performance of the new Mason is still worth a try. I was shocked beyond words when I listened to the prototype when I visited the UM headquarters in December. I understand that not every audiophile is willing to pay a high price to own it, but I think it would be a pity if an audiophile missed the opportunity to listen to the new Mason. It is very special. Canjam NYC is coming soon, and I will be waiting for everyone there with the new Mason.

P.S. Now UM's technical department director Sam is by my side. I accompanied him to the Shot Show with UM's hearing protection sister company. He is one of the creators of BC-Turbo. If you have any questions, I can answer them on the spot.
I agree with the fact that it actually would be a pity to judge without actually listening to the new Mason.

I am eagerly waiting to hear from Headfiers who attend CanJam NYC.

Good Luck & Gong Xi Fa Chai

@UniqueMelody

Problems with the price of UM iem’s? Or any high end (er, ultra high end) iem’s? Well, that is what this game has become. If someone is willing to pay then they will make them.

Don’t just blame the company for making more and better stuff and charging crazy prices. Someone is buying them. Iem users want the best sound, whatever that means. I have some expensive ones and some less expensive ones. Less expensive sounds great, more expensive typically sounds great-er. Worth the difference? Probably not.

If you don’t like it, find your price point and settle in. You still get great sound and, after all, it is about the music, isn’t it? I have the Multiverse Mentor and don’t think I will venture above that but knows. Foolish is as foolish does.

Incidentally, I believe every hobby or sport has the same pricing structure issue. As long as you have the cash, there is always something better than what you already have. For example, the cost of a high end hi-fi equipment, and all the accessories available, is absolutely insane.
I agree a 💯

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #131 of 202
Previous product releases were only new segment opening.
After that there was a common understanding that even updated products would not keep the price of previous version but increase each time.
Apple did that first when the yearly iphone price jumped and previous year iphones kept the same pricing thus moving the valuation up.

Doing it again and setting a trend, all constructors does it and the whole market is moving up without much value created.
Heading for Mest Mk 4 at 3000$ msrp but if you don't do business you just say stick to your pricing range
which means lower value each year.

From an pure economist point of view it may even slow down R&D, having less incentives to invest instead of modifying product perceptions.

They're available in Europe now for 8618€ or 9325$
https://audioessence.ch/en/collecti...ue-melody-mason-fs-nuit-etoilee-flagship-iems

Next move is the psychological 10k but it won't be difficult to get there.

If you work in marketing, some threads here on Head-Fi are diamond mines with infinite gifts
for how much you can observe and learn to target whales psyche.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #132 of 202

I think this over reaction is being created.

Why is it that anyone should even care about a single company's pricing strategy when there are new IEMs being released on a weekly basis around the world.

Why not study the market and make prudent decisions based upon one's budget and sound preference?

I am actually looking forward to the impressions of these IEMs from CanJam NYC as I am pretty sure that even the deniers will get in line to try them.

It is totally fine to dislike an IEM after an audition or even disregard it because of the price but I don't know what the chaos is all about.

Any company who is into luxury products will continue to raise the bar and test the market.

I won't buy an $8,500 IEM not because I can't afford it but simply for the reason that it does not align with my philosophy.

I will not reject it either because I am curious to know what these will sound like.

Jan 29, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #133 of 202
I think this over reaction is being created.
I think that considering these pricings a normal as per previous happenings isn't particularly savvy , and that reacting is the normal
Why is it that anyone should even care about a single company's pricing strategy when there are new IEMs being released on a weekly basis around the world.
It's been discussed more and more on why someone cares about late rampant greedy pricing practices from some brands and what this cause in the market of totl iems
Why not study the market and make prudent decisions based upon one's budget and sound preference?
why not ..and how is this opposite or counterproductive to discuss what's happening here and how/why totl prices change and changing so fast as for late ..
I am actually looking forward to the impressions of these IEMs from CanJam NYC as I am pretty sure that even the deniers will get in line to try them.
I don't have 0.1% interest in listening to these IEMs , I'm sure someone else is in line with me so ..
It is totally fine to dislike an IEM after an audition or even disregard it because of the price but I don't know what the chaos is all about.
it has been discussed through and more and more though
Any company who is into luxury products will continue to raise the bar and test the market.
may be normal and good for you , but not for anyone who could afford same things before price escalated .., but now he's left without much choice when those items and their parents on other companies progressively followed trend and got to the fast price-hike treatment ..it's the trend , so : why not ?
I will not reject it either because I am curious to know what these will sound like.
I am not curious at all about the sound of Soleil Tombèe , I live well without knowing it ; but I am against companies rising more and more the bar of price irrationally just ' because there is a chance '
there's no ethic and no rationale besides maximum greed , other totl brands will shortly follow and my chances to buy totl iems will narrow and lessen at a faster rate

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #134 of 202
I was one of the early adopters of the Red Halo/Le Jardin. It was ridiculed at first but not as badly as the new iterations. The consensus was that people would only buy RH/LJ for the bragging rights. However, that changed after Canjam NY when HiFiHawaii808 bought it. It was his favorite IEM for a long while.

So, all it takes is that one of the big guns start raving about an IEM and the perception changes. No one makes fun of RH/LJ anymore.
Just because they can, doesn't mean they should. It's not about UM's bottom line, it's about the rest of the market saying "oh wow, we thought 3K was the ceiling and got a little sassy with 5K, but now the lid's blown off the roof! All 2024 models now with a fresh 200% price increase for incremental improvements!"

The excuse used here has been "R&D" and that's so lazy. This has nothing to do with a little mom & pop company trying to "make an honest living" and therefore must re-coup the re-invention of the wheel. This is luxury pricing for whales. Hell, there was even some bogus IEM a couple years back that was bejeweled out the wazoo and approached or exceeded 5 figures and it was an all off the shelf BA unit with next to zero "R&D" they just put the drivers in a shell and then took it to Swarovski. Never mind the RA-C-CU exists at 9,999-12.3k 🤣🤣🤣 at least that was the miniaturization of an AMT but even then it's just a money-no-object unit. Look at UE, no matter if they cram 40 drivers in the next "Live" IEM it's not jumping from $1899 to $5,000 but they COULD totally *GET AWAY WITH IT*. Why won't they? because their clientele is primarily professionals not audiophiles who they can pull one over on.

An appeal to authority in the HeadFi space isn't a great hook to hang one's hat on when considering the actual objections which may harm the health of the market more broadly. Normalizing explosive price increases isn't healthy. Again, anyone who wants to spend their money as they see fit, go right on ahead. I'm not blaming consumers, I'm chastising manufacturers. If the UM MM was the amongst the pinnacle of acoustic achievement thus far, what's an additional 3.5K say about that unit and the motivations to release such a unit? A bargain next to the Storm? In-so-far as "markets" work, you have to actually move volume to break even. Surprise, the unit build doesn't approach that nominal figure and all the overhead has been in place for years.

Jan 30, 2024 at 2:15 AM Post #135 of 202
Just because they can, doesn't mean they should. It's not about UM's bottom line, it's about the rest of the market saying "oh wow, we thought 3K was the ceiling and got a little sassy with 5K, but now the lid's blown off the roof! All 2024 models now with a fresh 200% price increase for incremental improvements!"

The excuse used here has been "R&D" and that's so lazy. This has nothing to do with a little mom & pop company trying to "make an honest living" and therefore must re-coup the re-invention of the wheel. This is luxury pricing for whales. Hell, there was even some bogus IEM a couple years back that was bejeweled out the wazoo and approached or exceeded 5 figures and it was an all off the shelf BA unit with next to zero "R&D" they just put the drivers in a shell and then took it to Swarovski. Never mind the RA-C-CU exists at 9,999-12.3k 🤣🤣🤣 at least that was the miniaturization of an AMT but even then it's just a money-no-object unit. Look at UE, no matter if they cram 40 drivers in the next "Live" IEM it's not jumping from $1899 to $5,000 but they COULD totally *GET AWAY WITH IT*. Why won't they? because their clientele is primarily professionals not audiophiles who they can pull one over on.

An appeal to authority in the HeadFi space isn't a great hook to hang one's hat on when considering the actual objections which may harm the health of the market more broadly. Normalizing explosive price increases isn't healthy. Again, anyone who wants to spend their money as they see fit, go right on ahead. I'm not blaming consumers, I'm chastising manufacturers. If the UM MM was the amongst the pinnacle of acoustic achievement thus far, what's an additional 3.5K say about that unit and the motivations to release such a unit? A bargain next to the Storm? In-so-far as "markets" work, you have to actually move volume to break even. Surprise, the unit build doesn't approach that nominal figure and all the overhead has been in place for years.
My post wasn't meant as an "appeal to authority". I'm simply pointing to the fact that Head-FI has its celebs who can make or break an IEM. It's part of the group psychology here. I've jumped on a quite a few expensive hype trains with respected head-fiers in the locomotive. I ended up selling them all.

As for this new release, I won't buy it. I simply can't afford these prices anymore. And the embarrassing translation error is truly a faux pas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back