Evolving the UM Reference: A New Chapter for the Mason Series—Mason Nuit Étoilée & Soleil Tombé
Jan 31, 2024 at 4:19 AM Post #151 of 202
No one is barking by the way....

Instead of following your precious advice , i will stand criticizing them :wink: for pricing 8000$ something they source and build for 1/10 of the price ( probably less ) is ' offensive ' for somebody , and limiting for somebody else ; this would remain a personal matter and not translate into a more general problem : if it didn't become a rule , and inflating prices and pricings on flagship iems didn't became common as much as there's option to do it , so that other brands are progressively invited to the table .

Since it happens and the brands responsible for doing are out there and know well about their greedy ways and effect,
I am happy to denunce it (and of course not accept your advice to mute adapt and look it another way ); and I will do eventually too for any brand that follows a similar rampant blindly speculative behavior
I believe the story is not that simple, putting aside that the cable with come with the iem itself worth 2k USD if you purchase it directly from PW Audio, UM is putting a lot more effort to build this TOTL unit than other companies which only buyping DA unit that is available for sell and putting as many as they can into IEM and calling it TOTL, it is what happening in china. Instead UM tailor made they own sounds unit, from what I can predict those special unit that use exclusively on the new Mason will stay in Mason series for maybe a few years then you will see it on Mentor then mest etc etc, you end up can use these unit for just 1000-2000USD, but not today

Jan 31, 2024 at 4:26 AM Post #152 of 202
Um has been very busy trying to saturate progressively and continuously all angles of the iem market lately , nothing to condamn but something to notice as for being not exactly the same marketing habits philosophy and r&d times of other brands

Hifiman Meze Abyss DC etc quite any other established world flagship headphones builder could have easily priced their respective totl products at 3x current prices , which are already high and already accepted as possible standards for their level ; they didn't do it : even in their design revisions , which happened and happen in years not in months , pricings didn't bend out fo the way and/or not exponentially ; Susvara were already there years ago and are current against anything ; I am not sure that who is advocating for 'fit price' as the currents for flagship iems wants to talk costs for material or tuning or for building them and compare them or their tech to the ones that lays inside their headphones counterparts

I believe the story is not that simple, putting aside that the cable with come with the iem itself worth 2k USD if you purchase it directly from PW Audio, UM is putting a lot more effort to build this TOTL unit than other companies which only buyping DA unit that is available for sell and putting as many as they can into IEM and calling it TOTL, it is what happening in china. Instead UM tailor made they own sounds unit, from what I can predict those special unit that use exclusively on the new Mason will stay in Mason series for maybe a few years then you will see it on Mentor then mest etc etc, you end up can use these unit for just 1000-2000USD, but not today
few years ? at their current rate , and increasing .. - i wouldn't bet easy on it

I am not discussing what happens down the line though but rather what causes hyperinflation of late pricings as it seems irrational and based on opportunity and greed , a pure speculative habit (that damage the sector, the users first of course ) ..I may be wrong but..

Jan 31, 2024 at 4:56 AM Post #153 of 202

Instead of following your precious advice , i will stand criticizing them :wink: for pricing 8000$ something they source and build for 1/10 of the price ( probably less ) is ' offensive ' for somebody , and limiting for somebody else ; this would remain a personal matter and not translate into a more general problem : if it didn't become a rule , and inflating prices and pricings on flagship iems didn't became common as much as there's option to do it , so that other brands are progressively invited to the table .

Since it happens and the brands responsible for doing are out there and know well about their greedy ways and effect,
I am happy to denunce it (and of course not accept your advice to mute adapt and look it another way ); and I will do eventually too for any brand that follows a similar rampant blindly speculative behavior
I am writing my opinions and I mean no disrespect to yours.

Who am I to give anyone any advise?

Good luck crusading. It will benefit all of us if you have any success with it.

I am not mute nor adapting. I am just realistic and not emotional about it as you are.

Companies will do their thing and I am sure that there will be companies like Unique Melody who have a huge fanbase in China itself to not worry about any of the things you are saying.

But, you do you and I do I and let us leave it at that.

Jan 31, 2024 at 4:59 AM Post #154 of 202
I am writing my opinions and I mean no disrespect to yours.

Who am I to give anyone any advise?
I don t know who you are . but you did it anyway ... So I answered, and no barkings like you tell.

You re not the only thinking and advicing to pacifically adapt to current pricing and marketing practices

I am not mute nor adapting. I am just realistic and not emotional about it as you are.

Companies will do their thing and I am sure that there will be companies like Unique Melody who have a huge fanbase in China itself to not worry about any of the things you are saying.

I dont know at all that you are realistic while I am emotional.., sure I would have prefered to read that you kept any personal judgement of such to yourself , ..whatever anyhow

Jan 31, 2024 at 5:08 AM Post #155 of 202
few years ? at their current rate , and increasing .. - i wouldn't bet easy on it

I am not discussing what happens down the line though but rather what causes hyperinflation of late pricings as it seems irrational and based on opportunity and greed , a pure speculative habit (that damage the sector, the users first of course ) ..I may be wrong but..
It is So funny that people in china forum is translating this forum and discussing how would this iem from UM end up.And how many unit that UM have actually produced. Back in the days, unit like mentor, retailers have to wait a month or 2 until they have that in stock.
In China forum people are discussing mainly on their pricing and releasing the so call TOTL amber pearl unit just a few months before this new Mason which is betraying the loyal um users. And on the other hands they reason um seem to want to release it right before Chinese new year so everyone is getting their bouns so that can afford the unexpected high msrp

No, you are wrong about this.
although UM is a china based company but their target and fans are mainly oversea

Jan 31, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #156 of 202
It is So funny that people in china forum is translating this forum and discussing how would this iem from UM end up.And how many unit that UM have actually produced. Back in the days, unit like mentor, retailers have to wait a month or 2 until they have that in stock.
In China forum people are discussing mainly on their pricing and releasing the so call TOTL amber pearl unit just a few months before this new Mason which is betraying the loyal um users. And on the other hands they reason um seem to want to release it right before Chinese new year so everyone is getting their bouns so that can afford the unexpected high msrp
not surprising
something feeling rushed indid ( to me, too )

Jan 31, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #158 of 202
Nope!

Feb 1, 2024 at 6:34 AM Post #159 of 202
1) Yes, and we are open to CIEMs orders.
2) Straight to my ears the sound is more open with a lot more air than Le Jardin
There is also more and deeper bass. They are very different to my ears, different enough to call them the next generation not just in terms of technology.
On the tech side, explanations from Sam: the BC-Turbo boost the voltage to the BCD 20x more than the traditional approach. So the vibration will be enhanced 3x on average. For example, the new BC-booster can effectively boost 6k solely from BCD, it will effectively improve the clarity and openness but control the sharpness and distortion to minimal. It is almost impossible to be done by acoustic drivers, considering Mason already equipped with the best of the best BAs. It is doable on Le Jardin(and other UM BCDs), but you have to find a DAP has very high voltage output (with low distortion) which is rare in high end DAPs. The same philosophy applies to other frequencies.
I own the N30LE and Amber Pearl...could you please elaborate how these compare in sound to AP? And how do they compare to each other? It would be very helpful to know sound signature differences to make a decision if I want to add to my already large UM collection...

Thank you!

Feb 3, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #160 of 202
The Mentor is to my taste so so so good. Anything can be beat, but I doubt the Mentor could be beat by much and it is just not wort the time, money, and risk.

By a used Mentor for around 2.5K- and done with it.

Feb 3, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #161 of 202
The Mentor is to my taste so so so good. Anything can be beat, but I doubt the Mentor could be beat by much and it is just not wort the time, money, and risk.

By a used Mentor for around 2.5K- and done with it.
If I could get a mentor with slightly more sub-bass and thicker mids, it’d be perfect. I love my mentors.

Supposedly AP fits this bill but I haven’t wanted to drop the $ on a used pair yet.

Feb 4, 2024 at 9:12 PM Post #163 of 202
Um has been very busy trying to saturate progressively and continuously all angles of the iem market lately , nothing to condamn but something to notice as for being not exactly the same marketing habits philosophy and r&d times of other brands

Hifiman Meze Abyss DC etc quite any other established world flagship headphones builder could have easily priced their respective totl products at 3x current prices , which are already high and already accepted as possible standards for their level ; they didn't do it : even in their design revisions , which happened and happen in years not in months , pricings didn't bend out fo the way and/or not exponentially ; Susvara were already there years ago and are current against anything ; I am not sure that who is advocating for 'fit price' as the currents for flagship iems wants to talk costs for material or tuning or for building them and compare them or their tech to the ones that lays inside their headphones counterparts

I just realized the Moondrop Solis 2 exists at 170% mark up with more isobaric robbery 3 months after 64 did it 🤣 (and the mk3 and the hype 10). Not only did moondrop say F it and more than double their "lets throw off the shelf drivers in a shell" flagship, but that interview with precog and 64's R&D continues to actualize.

Moondrop, home of the 9, the 19, the 39, the 69, the 119, the 319 dollar waifu also arbitrarily charging 2700 over 1099 🤣🤣🤣 THIS IS THE WHOLE POINT OF US OBJECTING.

Feb 6, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #164 of 202

These huge prices may soon fall flat on their face, anyway - economies around the world (including W. Europe, USA and UM's home country) are allegedly teetering on the brink at the moment (not that you'll hear that admitted on the TV news).

I applaud innovation and that takes R&D, but I dislike greed. Innovation and R&D do not have to go hand-in-hand with greed.

I think Fiio are (generally) a fairly good example of a company pushing themselves to create new products, without feeling the need to charge insane prices, although I'm not suggesting they're saints.

Feb 6, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #165 of 202

No, you are wrong about this.
although UM is a china based company but their target and fans are mainly oversea
anyone who bought AP to get a TOTL UN IEM is stupid.

UM didn’t release AP. It’s not a UM IEM. It’s Cayin’s limited edition TOTL IEM, co-designed with and produced by UM.

Anyone who didn’t get this, didn’t bother to read.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back