Evolving the UM Reference: A New Chapter for the Mason Series—Mason Nuit Étoilée & Soleil Tombé
Jan 26, 2024 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 194
Evolving the UM Reference: A New Chapter for the Mason Series—Mason Nuit Étoilée & Soleil Tombé
1706247668984.jpeg
For 13 years, the Mason series has served as UM's flagship, embodying our vision of reference sound. It has consistently showcased the latest audio technologies we've developed, pushing the boundaries of sonic excellence.

In 2021, marking the 10th anniversary of the Mason, we introduced bone conduction drivers to the established multi-BA architecture. This groundbreaking innovation, present in the Mason FS and Fusang, introduced a two-way sound transmission system for the first time in flagship IEMs. Since then, we've further refined this technology with the silver-palladium BCD driver (Red Halo, La Jardin) and the FreqShift BCD (Multiverse Mentor, Amber Pearl). Through this journey, we've gradually shaped our unique "House Sound." While capturing its essence in words is challenging, I believe the immersive soundstage and life-like timbre offered by bone conduction technology have been instrumental in bringing us to where we are today.

This year, the new Mason takes another bold step forward with the revolutionary BC-Turbo micro voltage booster. This technology transcends previous generations of bone conduction, ushering in a new era of sonic possibilities. It's time to turn the page and embark on a new chapter!
1706248361814.jpeg

1706248382118.jpeg

Two Systems in One IEM: Leveraging the Power of High-Current DAPs

Building upon our successful collaboration with Cayin on the Amber Pearl last year, we've identified a fascinating trend in the audiophile landscape. High-end DAPs and portable amplifiers are increasingly prioritizing high current output with lower voltage. This design philosophy, present in flagship models from major manufacturers, inspired us to develop a novel technology that maximizes the benefits of this high current for IEMs: BC-Turbo.

Essentially, BC-Turbo acts as a miniature powerhouse within the IEM shells, converting high current into the higher voltage demanded by the FreqShift bone conduction driver. This allows the new Mason Nuit Étoilée (Starry Night) and Soleil Tombé (Desert Sunset) to house two distinct systems within their compact design: a dedicated current-driving system for the balanced armature drivers and a separate voltage-driving system for the bone conduction driver with BC-Turbo and FreqShift BCD.

1706247748367.jpeg

1706247780477.jpeg

1706247794766.jpeg

1706247806504.jpeg

1706247820826.jpeg

1706247831838.jpeg

New Sound, New Cable: Continuing our Partnership with PWAudio

Following the fruitful collaboration with PWAudio on the Attilas and Purple Heart cables for the Mason FS and Fusang, we've joined forces again to create the all-new First Times Shielding Pro. This iteration retains the beloved design language of the original FTS while incorporating four independent layers of the highest-grade shielding materials for enhanced performance. The First Times Shielding Pro will be available exclusively with the Mason Nuit Étoile and Soleil Tombé as a limited-edition combo until further notice.

1706250117070.jpeg

Inspiration and Aesthetics: A Fusion of Art and Culture

The name Nuit Étoilée, inspired by Vincent van Gogh's iconic Starry Night, maintains the French theme established with La Jardin. In contrast, Soleil Tombé draws inspiration from the evocative imagery of sunsets, a central theme in Eastern culture and Chinese poetry. The finish of the new Mason models surpasses even the exquisite craftsmanship seen in the Mason FS, Red Halo, and La Jardin. Having had the privilege of witnessing the final prototypes last December, I can confidently say they are truly breathtaking.
1706248175510.jpeg

1706248197804.jpeg

Accessories and Specifications(using Nuit Étoilée as an example)
1706248633055.jpeg

1706248655551.jpeg

1706248666182.jpeg

1706248676069.jpeg

MSRP: $8499

Mason Nuit Étoilée (Starry Night) and Soleil Tombé (Desert Sunset) are open to Pre-Order now at MusicTeck: https://shop.musicteck.com/collections/um-unique-melody

Attachments

• 1706248009658.jpeg
    1706248009658.jpeg
    969.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Jan 26, 2024 at 2:27 AM Post #2 of 194
I understand the high price, if this was a new design, and UM is simply trying to get their R&D investment back. But I would hate to image to be a UM Mason family owner, only to keep seen another UM flagship getting released few months down.

The entire Mason family seems rather too confusing, and it seems like an experiment to both find out the market sonic preference as well as willingness to pay for an IEM.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 5:53 AM Post #3 of 194
To summarise:

- Improved "unique house sound that offers an impressive soundstage and lifelike timbres through bone conduction technology"
- New "revolutionary BC-Turbo Micro Voltage Booster [that] heralds a new era of sonic possibilities"
- New FreqShift BCD
- New First Time Shielding Pro

And all this for the modest price of 8500 USD. If I had bought Amber Pearl, which was released only a few months ago for the equally modest price of 8000 USD as a minor upgrade compared to Mentor (4500 USD, note: 3500 USD price difference for a minor upgrade), I would be extremely pissed off right now. UM is obviously deliberately holding back new, apparently groundbreaking technologies so that it can release another, even better and more expensive IEM shortly afterwards. And I bet (!!) that the new version of Mentor will be released next month for the price of 6999 or 7499 USD. And between Mason FS and Mentor, we all know which one has had more success in the past (spoiler: Mentor). So the question here is whether it wouldn't be worth waiting. Apart from that, I personally can no longer justify UM's marketing strategy. These price jumps are for me no longer rational and I am no longer willing to support UM. As much as I love my Mentor - it's still my favorite of the current TOTL - I've now resolved to stop buying UM's products as long as UM pursues such a mocking strategy. It is quite clear that UM wants to push it until it finally breaks. The moment has now come for me. I will boycott it and sell my Mentor in protest (I know, no one surely cares).

My principles are worth more to me than any IEMs. UM may produce such great IEMs (of course this is debatable), but there are plenty of alternatives on the market that are equivalent or better. I would also invite others to stop buying UM's products. This trend must be stopped, it is in the interest of all of us.

@UniqueMelody

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #4 of 194
Just get a Mest Mk3 and be done. The improvement from $1500 to $8500 isn't worth this. This is agregious pricing.

Jan 26, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #5 of 194
No IEM needs to cost this much. Just ridiculous, and market ruining cause others think they can do the same. Stop this.

Jan 26, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #8 of 194
Is there a discount for both? Lol just kidding.

Jan 26, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #10 of 194
putting such crazy prices on ur flaship will simply deter alot of us buying your lower priced iems as well, as we will assume they are not great, I for one now will not buy any unique melody iem, simply cause I will never pay such crazy prices for an iem, and if you release a lower priced iem in my mind it will not be considered ur flagship model

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #11 of 194
What's the point of buying your TOTL iem if you are just gonna release new model every few months?

jeez..
You better ask: What`s the point to price an IEM 8500$ (eight-thousand-five-hundred!!!) just to be able to call it "TOTL"? :rolling_eyes: Or: Why are people willing to pay such amount of money, only because they want to own a so-called TOTL? This whole market has become absolutely ridiculous! It used to be a hobby open to most people who care about sound. In these days it`s something like buying Louis Vuitton bags....and by the way, they "also" sound good. I remember saving 700 bucks for an UM Merlin about 10 years ago and thought: "Gosh...that`s expensive." Look where we have gotten now. I agree with what many people write here. This really needs to stop. But I doubt it will, welcome to the world of capitalism.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #12 of 194
What`s the point to price an IEM with 8500$ (eight-thousand-five-hundred!!!) just to be able to call it "TOTL"? :rolling_eyes: This whole market has become absolutely ridiculous! It used to be a hobby open to most people who care about sound. In these days it`s something like buying Louis Vuitton bags....and by the way, they "also" sound good. I remember saving 700 bucks for an UM Merlin about 10 years ago and thought: "Gosh...that`s expensive." Look where we have gotten now. I agree with what many people write here. This really needs to stop. But I doubt it will, welcome to the world of capitalism.
simply we will ignore this company

Users who are viewing this thread

Back