Evolving the UM Reference: A New Chapter for the Mason Series—Mason Nuit Étoilée & Soleil Tombé
Jan 27, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #76 of 194
Last thing can someone eloborate with me something? People are talking about how good this iems about but everytime they talk one thing is missing out. What is the sound signature of these iems? Why they stand out from others? I have no time nor money to check out these facts. Most people dislike Crinacle but there is one thing he does good about it defining the sound signature.

Afterall people seek their most desired sound signature with most detail they can get. Some people seek uber resolution,some people seek more bodied presentation with most detail they can get.

I am wondering just this when you put these iems to less desired digital audio players or digital to analog converters how do these sound? What is the difference on small scale and big scale?

People are trying expensive iems and expensive daps that TOTL together and they say it is the best. I will try only Bugatti and I will say it is the best experience in the world. Could someone compare these TOTL with same sound signature that is less detailed. So we can say that with these experiements it deserve the money or not? Not the manufacturer itself because he or she says so.

People are describing the sound like how good? That good.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 4:09 AM Post #77 of 194
I think for a lot of people (including myself) it's less about sound signature and more about the markup and monthly product cycle.

The whales, especially in the Chinese market, will lap this stuff up and UM will continue to push the 'how much can we charge' strategy for artificial value.

Jan 27, 2024 at 7:15 AM Post #79 of 194
what just triggered it for me, is when they talk about R&D, as an excuse to charge that insane price, and moving the price to 8.5k usd, I have never seen an R&D outcome that throws out every few months a new flagship. That is not R&D anymore its just non sense

I seriously wonder do they have scientists on board that are charging UM insane salaries

wonder even how big the UM team is, budget and expenses to just justify these insane prices.

I was about to close a deal with a dealer about AMBER PEARL for a huge price cut and still was thinking if that is justified, and thought that this would be their flagship for a long time, and boom saw this announcement

A word of advise to UM, go back to sanity route and regain your loyal fans, and kick this trend of throwing insane prices and leave some time between flagships, you will sell way more and the outcome will be more profitable to UM. In my opinion UM MM was even pushing the borders in price

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 7:36 AM Post #80 of 194
You better ask: What`s the point to price an IEM 8500$ (eight-thousand-five-hundred!!!) just to be able to call it "TOTL"? :rolling_eyes: Or: Why are people willing to pay such amount of money, only because they want to own a so-called TOTL? This whole market has become absolutely ridiculous! It used to be a hobby open to most people who care about sound. In these days it`s something like buying Louis Vuitton bags....and by the way, they "also" sound good. I remember saving 700 bucks for an UM Merlin about 10 years ago and thought: "Gosh...that`s expensive." Look where we have gotten now. I agree with what many people write here. This really needs to stop. But I doubt it will, welcome to the world of capitalism.

Unlike the 8.500 earbuds, which will be worthless some months after purchase, the LV Bag will hold It’s value and even become more valuable if you buy the right one and be careful with it. Not that I’m interested in such bags but I bought my wife one 4 years ago and today she could sell it 50% higher, even though It’s used.

Jan 27, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #81 of 194
If you think its overpriced, just move on. 🤷‍♂️
Same goes with other luxury/premium stuffs.
I thought AP is overpriced, but i didnt bitch around about it - i just didnt buy it.

I’m keen to see these techs to trickle down to lower (cheaper) model iems - maybe Mentor mk2?

Jan 27, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #82 of 194
If you think its overpriced, just move on. 🤷‍♂️
Or openly denunce speculative degenerative practices. 🤷‍♂️ Moreover if it involves general market hyper inflation and speculation in pricings of new totl items , things which escalated lately due to some brand practices , again : no one can dubt about it.

Ps, on the other hand , now that they explained with 100 more words when asked, that a turbo voltage amplifier or converter is worth the extra 2000$ I am in a much greater peace of mind ..

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #83 of 194
After some thought...what marketing guru decided that UM should go for absurdly priced IEMs for more profit and risk tainting its loyal fanbase (I'm no fan) with all the lower priced competition in TOTL IEMs as it stands right now? He or she should be fired immediately. Watching this thread grow is just sad.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #84 of 194
...the name Soleil Tombé is a translation error.
Yup. They could have asked even a single French guy and 10 seconds later they would have known that Soleil Tombé just doesn't work. Nuit tombée, or Soleil couchant would be fine, here it's free, take it UM, you're welcome.
Trusting some intern who lied about being fluent in French on his CV happens fairly often, I get it. But nobody to double-check is lazy and bad because nowadays, it's not that hard to contact someone in another country. Asking here or in just about any forum would have worked fine too. It was not done...
Anyway, that product needs a new name, one that works in French might be a good start, but at the same time,
Soleil Tombé draws inspiration from the evocative imagery of sunsets, a central theme in Eastern culture and Chinese poetry.
Why pick French words at all for that one narrative? Did a last minute name change caused this mess?

About the price, I don't have an issue with it. A brand owns a product and sells it at the price they want (it's also somebody's job to figure out if it's going to sell and be profitable that way. But perhaps the same guy who picked the name did that?:deadhorse:). And then consumers can decide with their wallet. If it's commercially viable, well, good for them, more rich people than I imagined. If not, lesson learned.
Right now, it sure is making for loud (but lousy) advertising.

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #87 of 194
It's interesting tho since they've drawn inspiration from Chinese mythology etc why didn't they just call it 垂死的太阳 (which translates to dying sun btw) but had to invent some lame French translation which I donno if they've even been to France. Also I'm enjoying watching this thread turn into a dumpsterfire ^^

Jan 27, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #88 of 194
5 years down the line it won’t be worth $850.

Jan 27, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #90 of 194
[Mod Comment]

As a reminder, the person who goes by the name Hawaiibadboy has been banned from Head-Fi following several incidents on our platforms, and as part of his ban links to his videos and discussion of his reviews are not allowed anywhere on Head-Fi's forums. If you have questions regarding this policy please feel free to PM me or one of the other moderators directly so we don't take the thread off-topic away from everyone's subjective thoughts on the new UM IEMs.

Thanks everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back