Every detail matters: Introducing the all-new IE 900
May 11, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #16 of 150
Personally, I really don't know how to feel about this release.

Sure, the frequency response measurements that were published so far don't look bad, and the IE 900, based on what I have seen on the internet, when compared to my IE 800, undeniably feature a superior integration of the removable cable, more "regular" ergonomics, a better (more protective) carrying case and seemingly better (but still not worthy of the price - this has never really been Sennheiser's strength when it comes to IEMs) cable, but these changes don't really seem to justify the price tag being around twice as high (the same goes for the pricing scheme when looking at the IE 80 -> IE 80S, HD 800 -> HD 800S, IE 800 -> IE 800S, and now these).

May 11, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #17 of 150
Really digging the design and looking forward to impressions and availability in my country (South Africa). Out of interest is that a bass port at the bottom of the earpiece, under the logo? And is it tied to the "acoustic back chamber"? The one feature I do like to see in IEMs is some form of porting to control air pressure, for both the ear and the driver.

May 11, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #18 of 150
Personally, I really don't know how to feel about this release.

Sure, the frequency response measurements that were published so far don't look bad, and the IE 900, based on what I have seen on the internet, when compared to my IE 800, undeniably feature a superior integration of the removable cable, more "regular" ergonomics, a better (more protective) carrying case and seemingly better (but still not worthy of the price - this has never really been Sennheiser's strength when it comes to IEMs) cable, but these changes don't really seem to justify the price tag being around twice as high (the same goes for the pricing scheme when looking at the IE 80 -> IE 80S, HD 800 -> HD 800S, IE 800 -> IE 800S, and now these).

I hear ya. But I think it's far more respectable and justifiable in terms of price than high end IEMs from boutique companies that cost thousands more. And wasn't IE800 $1K at release? So don't think these are twice the price. $1,299 is like midfi now in chi-fi territory. Now that's rediculous.

May 11, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #20 of 150
Hey @Evshrug is this the official IE900 thread? If so, subbed.

There are two other threads on IE 900. I'm guessing the one under portable section will become "the one" since this is a sponsor announcement?

May 11, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #22 of 150
sound aside, I hoped for a more premium package over the IE300, especially for that big price. Same microphonic cable (though three of them ), same fabric case, same selection of eartips. Just an aluminum housing. I really liked the IE800/s housings. Ceramic is certainly rarely used in the in ear business.
Wasn't it durable enough to consider it for the IE900?

May 11, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #23 of 150
Oh ! I am sure the HD900 is coming. Why ? Because there are a noticeable differences between HD800S and HD800S-Anniversary. It just means to me that the Anniversary edition is to say “farewell” to the current chain of HD800S. The slightly improvements from Anniversary editions mean that Sennheiser has a specific aims to score forward, and what else can it be beside HD900 ?

I suspected this all along, but with the release of IE900, now I am sure. Anyways, I hope nothing changes too much from Sennheiser..... at least don’t let me down like an HD820 did LoL
but i liked hd820, coz it's closed back... lols

May 11, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #25 of 150
I hear ya. But I think it's far more respectable and justifiable in terms of price than high end IEMs from boutique companies that cost thousands more. And wasn't IE800 $1K at release? So don't think these are twice the price. $1,299 is like midfi now in chi-fi territory. Now that's rediculous.

Not sure about the USD pricing at release, but the IE 800s' EUR MSRP in 2014 was somewhat more than half of the IE 900s' (EUR) price.

May 11, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #26 of 150
Price tag seems pretty high considering the specs and performance (judging from the review).
When the current TOTL iems are already dangerously close to approaching the $10K USD mark, the IE900 seems like a bargain to me :smile:

May 11, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #27 of 150
When the current TOTL iems are already dangerously close to approaching the $10K USD mark, the IE900 seems like a bargain to me :smile:
And that is why I am loving Sennheiser even more!! I could careless about those “unknown brands” that made super birds or whatever birds for 6-7K. I also could careless for bone conducting or blood pumping bass technologies or Static charged air trebles :wink:. All I really want is real developments and by real teams with the history that gave birth to the industry itself !!

I will always be looking forward to Sennheiser flagship releases this way. None has disappointed by far, real developments, real performances, real prices

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #28 of 150
The only single DD’s on the market atm over this price is the final and the dita flagship I believe. Both of which have compared favourably in some technical aspects to the U12t (arguably the “benchmark” iem for under $2,000). This is said to be on par with the Xelento which is nowhere near the technical level of the others mentioned and has been on the market for quite a while while retailing at significantly less than the ie900.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #29 of 150
The only single DD’s on the market atm over this price is the final and the dita flagship I believe. Both of which have compared favourably in some technically aspects to the U12t (arguably the “benchmark” iem for under $2,000). This is said to be on par with the Xelento which is nowhere near the technical level of the others mentioned and has been on the market for quite a while while retailing at significantly less than the ie900.
There's also the Dunu Luna. If the IE900 can match or beat the Luna and A8000 (if not in pure technicalities but tonality) then they'll find a market for sure. The higher end single DD IEMs seem to all have been tuned quite bright and bass light for some reason.

May 11, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #30 of 150
Okay, and here I was researching the ie 800S for 5 hours earlier today, ready to pull the trigger when I saw it on amazon for 200 dollars off. Boy, I woulda been mad if I bought the 800...for 800.

That's 5 hours wasted but I'm excited for my first pair of high- end monitors!
The research is half the fun in this game. It's knowledge you can pass along, so, win-win!

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back