Every detail matters: Introducing the all-new IE 900
May 11, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #46 of 150
@Evshrug
@ericpalonen hi!

Hey I am in canada I see no pre order option here, is it only in usa?

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #47 of 150
I don't think it should surprise anyone, every product I know is in the same case where price in dollars (without tax) = price (including taxes) in euros.

May 11, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #48 of 150
I don't think it should surprise anyone, every product I know is in the same case where price in dollars (without tax) = price (including taxes) in euros.

No, it seems to me that every single U.S.-made (or from a U.S. company and made in China) audiophile product (Schiit, ZMF, Dan Clark Audio, etc.) is more expensive in the EU.

Examples:

Schiit Loki+ - $149 - €219 (based on rationale above with VAT it should be €149)
Schiit Bifrost - $699 - €899 (www.schiit-europe.com/product-categorie/dacs/)
ZMF Aeolus - $1199 - €1499 (headphonecompany.com/en/product/zmf-aeolus-over-ear-headphones/)

All of these prices seem to reflect not only a 17-20% VAT, but also a significant 20-25% markup for shipping to the EU.

Now we go the other way and we see:

Sennheiser IE-900 - $1299 - €1299 - if we apply the same logic, we take VAT off the €1299, arrive at €1110. Convert at what has been the exchange rate for years - say 0.85 USD:EUR, it gets to $1306. Where is the 20-25% markup for getting it from Germany to the U.S. that we see on the reverse situation? It should be something like $1500 based on what the U.S. companies do when selling here.

Not saying I want it to be there, I do want people to get fair prices, just saying we as EU customers always have it charged. Show me a Schiit for the same price or even close in EUR as it is in USD, a ZMF, a Dan Clark, an Audeze, etc.

I called out Qobuz (French company) a year ago for charging me €19.99 a month and the same plan in the U.S. was $14.99. There's a history of over-charging in the EU because it's a more fractured market.

Sennheiser did the same with the HD-560S. It was made in China, so I figured it costs less to get to the U.S. But the IE-900 is made in Germany. It should either be cheaper in EUR or more expensive in USD.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #49 of 150
All good points raised. It remains a bit of an enigma. But alas veering off topic; and certainly not unique to these IEMs or Sennheiser or audio gear.

One final thought / consideration - most products in the US come with a 1-year warranty as opposed to the mandatory 2-year in the EU.

May 11, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #50 of 150
As others have alluded to upthread, I just hope these aren't bass shy. I've actually been mostly o.k. with the treble presentation of most of the "flagship" single DD sets mentioned here, but the bass response/characteristics/technicalities has been disappointing &/or not "TOTL" worthy, YMMV, yada yada yada. Curious as to fit as well, as this general design style is at best hit or miss for me.

May 11, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #51 of 150
As others have alluded to upthread, I just hope these aren't bass shy. I've actually been mostly o.k. with the treble presentation of most of the "flagship" single DD sets mentioned here, but the bass response/characteristics/technicalities has been disappointing &/or not "TOTL" worthy, YMMV, yada yada yada. Curious as to fit as well, as this general design style is at best hit or miss for me.
You gotta see the review on YT. Joshua Valour's review.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #52 of 150

According to pre-release reviewers (not that I blindly trust reviewers), bass is the most prominent feature. And if IE 300 with similar 7mm driver is any indication, bass shouldn't be an issue (both in terms of quantity and quality). Well, I just hit the pre-order button, so I'll let my ears be the judge.

May 11, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #53 of 150
US retail?

Lower than I thought it would be. I saw the Euro price at 1,300 and figured the US price would be $1,500. I suppose the US market is so big that some product is less expensive than in the country of origin.

I owned the IE800 back in the day and it was by far my favorite iem for a while, so I hope to be able to hear the 900 at some point …

May 11, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #54 of 150
I hear ya. But I think it's far more respectable and justifiable in terms of price than high end IEMs from boutique companies that cost thousands more. And wasn't IE800 $1K at release? So don't think these are twice the price. $1,299 is like midfi now in chi-fi territory. Now that's rediculous.

yes, both the IE800 and the IE800S were introduced at $999.

May 11, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #55 of 150
Also, it looks like the proprietary tips that were a problem with the IE800 (they would get stuck in your ear on removing the IE800) are not being used. 👍

May 11, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #57 of 150
According to pre-release reviewers (not that I blindly trust reviewers), bass is the most prominent feature. And if IE 300 with similar 7mm driver is any indication, bass shouldn't be an issue (both in terms of quantity and quality). Well, I just hit the pre-order button, so I'll let my ears be the judge.
Thx for your preorder and welcome to the IE 900 club! Should we start one? BYO refreshments and sources. Lol #IE900club

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 11, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #58 of 150
Thx for your preorder and welcome to the IE 900 club! Should we start one? BYO refreshments and sources. Lol #IE900club

Given the recent sale of the consumer hifi division (my understanding is this will be completed sometime in the 2nd half of this year), I was surprised by the IE 900 release. I imagine this may be the last flagship design from Sennheiser, your swan song of sorts.

How long was the IE 900 in development?

May 11, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #59 of 150
cool, if I was looking I’d order it, but encore and dhc v3 cable hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

• cfc7
Back