Ever see a $200,000 turntable?
Aug 15, 2007 at 10:23 AM Post #46 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like an iMod will thrash a $1500 CD player?

For your info, i have been a participant in many listening sessions between high end cdplayers( about 20.000 euro's) and high end record players(also 20.000 dollars/euro's) head to head and they were pretty much equal. Giving the very slight notch to the recordplayers for sounding slightly more natural. So, i would never make a bold statement like you that a cheap cdplayers trashes a good record player. Detail wise the recordplayers could do the same thing as a cdplayer.

So, i never understood the bold statements that a cheap cdplayer trashes record players, they don't!

Superiority on paper doesn't automatically translates into superiority in sound!

Aug 15, 2007 at 10:36 AM Post #47 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
d_629.jpg

Just don't get this one, I tried it out at BB&B and it was very unstable with that small base.

How did you play a record on that?

Aug 15, 2007 at 12:43 PM Post #48 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What, no dust cover?

$10,000.00 extra for that....

Aug 15, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #49 of 83
I've never understood the issues with really high end gear.
Yes it's bling, yes it's overpriced and yes it's probably bought by someone with more money than sense, who displays it to his house guests as a nice new shiney toy and probably hardly ever listens to it.

Does that make it any different to your average owner of a Pagini Zonda or Patek diamond encrusted watch?
Be thankful that these items are made, as that helps to fund development of the lower priced stuff that we mere mortals can buy and enjoy.

Aug 15, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #50 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Sukebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never understood the issues with really high end gear.
Yes it's bling, yes it's overpriced and yes it's probably bought by someone with more money than sense, who displays it to his house guests as a nice new shiney toy and probably hardly ever listens to it.

Does that make it any different to your average owner of a Pagini Zonda or Patek diamond encrusted watch?
Be thankful that these items are made, as that helps to fund development of the lower priced stuff that we mere mortals can buy and enjoy.

We Americans just can't help but make fun of the rich and the intellectuals, we share that in common with the communists.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 15, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #51 of 83
Were I to spend $200k on a turntable I sure wouldn't want a unipivot arm, even if I could have three of them.

I always kind of assumed that SME had the super high end unipivot market locked up. I guess their unit isn't four feet tall, though.

Aug 15, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #52 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by http://www.goldmund.com/products/reference/
25 years after the first Reference, we introduce a very limited series of 25 Reference II turntables with a degree of refinement and a number of new features never seen befoe.

surely if they can charge that much for a turntable they could learn how to spell before

Aug 15, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #53 of 83
Foshoe.

Aug 15, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #54 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by jwilldermood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Foshoe.

you might be right

perhaps they're appealing to the overly rich, bling-lovin' vinyl spinnin' gangsta rappers who would love to "drop coin" on such a product

Aug 15, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #55 of 83
It looks like some kind of warp drive...

...a warp drive to planet Ridiculous.

Aug 15, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #56 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you might be right

perhaps they're appealing to the overly rich, bling-lovin' vinyl spinnin' gangsta rappers who would love to "drop coin" on such a product

LOL

Aug 15, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #57 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what seems funny is that the turntable has digital outs, meaning it has an ADC built in. Which essentially renders the entire purpose of analog pointless. Why even bother going through all that trouble trying to approach digital sound when you can just skip all the mass damping and ridiculous stuff and just buy a digital source?

Those Goldmund decks are built like the old EMT professional decks which did used to cost as much as a decent car back in the day and were the preserve of public institutions like The Library of Congress or The BBC. Perhaps not as much as a Bentley Continental which is where they are at these days but....

Anyway the point is that this thing is built with similar spec to a professional product for serious transcription work as what is a available on CD is a drop in the ocean compared to almost a century's worth of recorded music on shellac and vinyl.

Aug 15, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #58 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We Americans just can't help but make fun of the rich and the intellectuals, we share that in common with the communists.
evil_smiley.gif

It is mostly rich Americans that buy these stuff.
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back