EU seeks to make 'cranking it to 11' on DAPs nearly impossible
Oct 1, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #31 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomikPi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All the law is is a warning message, not reducing people's liberties in any way, so I don't possibly see how this could not be a good idea.

I haven't any problem with simple warnings.

Quote:

I suspect many would stop blasting their earphones if they were warned that their level is harmful.

And sadly, many don't care.

se

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #32 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, what a tyrannic regulation, really worth arguing over
rolleyes.gif

We'll have to see how they implement the volume limit override. Do you have to click through the warning every time you want to go above the limit? Click through once a day? Once a week? Is it going to be really annoying for those who choose to use less efficient headphones from a portable?

I have never used the stock earbuds from my iPod. All the headphones that I use with my iPod happen to be less efficient than the stock earbuds. I have to turn the volume way up. And no, I do not listen too loud. I know safe levels and I don't damage my hearing. I'm in the US with a US spec iPod. If I was in the EU with a French spec iPod I'd be needing an external amp just to be able to listen with the headphones that I choose to use.

I'm in the US so this all doesn't directly affect me. But things like this have a way of trickling down. Some manufacturers may decide to make only one model rather than both a EU and rest of the world spec models. The US politicians may decide to do the same thing here.

A little public education would go farther in addressing the problem. It's not just DAPs. It's live concert shows and club shows as well that are way too loud. Give the schools dummy heads that have a dB meter inside. Have the kids put their earphones/headphones on the dummy head and see how loud they're listening at. Treat it as a public educational exercise rather than a technical volume limiting exercise.

Boostaroo and FiiO are going to love these regulations. They're going to sell a lot more amps.

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #34 of 72
Even my over 10 years old sony portable cd player had a switch in the battery compartment that limited the volume... The display also showed something like a warning if disabled.
And now if the EU forces to re-add this nice feature it is a bad thing? Madness guys, this is madness! hehe
tongue.gif

Koyaan, I'm failing to see how you're failing to see that that is (probably the best way of) education.

Oct 1, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #35 of 72
Though we haven't seen how this will be implemented, I disagree with it. It's the same basic concept as DRM in PC games.

The game developer assumes that everyone is pirating their software, so they force paying customers to suffer through demanding and inconvenient DRM implementation. It's the innocent that suffer the consequences here, and it seems no different with these modified DAPs.

Plus I loathe any kind of forced inconvenience, no matter how small.

Oct 2, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #36 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good move by EU, most people don't even realize that they permanently damaging their hearing, no matter how many warning signs you shove to their faces.
smily_headphones1.gif

Really, why EU dont limit car speed to 120km/h? what is speed limit in EU [Not a Germany] why they made a cars go faster then speed limit ... Whats the point there? If they care about someone health - or life !

But - is not good for economy, how ever, i dont see too much European companies being effecter with MP3 players voume limit ... but Philips ...

Oct 2, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #37 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by komi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really, why EU dont limit car speed to 120km/h? what is speed limit in EU [Not a Germany] why they made a cars go faster then speed limit ... Whats the point there? If they care about someone health - or life !

But - is not good for economy, how ever, i dont see too much European companies being effecter with MP3 players voume limit ... but Philips ...

Speed limits are still national competencies.

Oct 2, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #38 of 72
Quote:

I don't know why they won't limit car speeds to 120km/h. Maybe they should.
tongue.gif

Oct 2, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #39 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The game developer assumes that everyone is pirating their software, so they force paying customers to suffer through demanding and inconvenient DRM implementation. It's the innocent that suffer the consequences here, and it seems no different with these modified DAPs.

Right, customers suffer from NOT damaging their hearing. And since when can DRM be disabled?
Jeez, what kind of far-fetched comparison is that?

Oct 2, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #40 of 72
A much better strategy would be to make stock earbuds have a response curve that sounds better (on average) at low volume instead of ear-bleeding volume.

Oct 2, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #41 of 72
Quote:

There is no such thing as EU speed limit (or for that matter, drinking age[1]). Even though a lot of cars do have an electronic speed limiter that sets the maximum at 250km/h (155mph), not only is this removable but there also aren't any penalties against this. But most people oddly enough don't bother.

[1] unlike the US, where federal highway laws set the limit and take the decision out of the states hands where it would be otherwise.

Oct 2, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #42 of 72
Most countries over here have a speed limit of 130 km/h. That's also the reference speed in Germany.

Oct 2, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #44 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanderx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[1] unlike the US, where federal highway laws set the limit and take the decision out of the states hands where it would be otherwise.

That's incorrect.

The states are perfectly free to set speed limits within their respective states.

se

Oct 2, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #45 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Koyaan, I'm failing to see how you're failing to see that that is (probably the best way of) education.

My comment regarding education was in the context of a hard limit. Not a simple warning.

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back