EU seeks to make 'cranking it to 11' on DAPs nearly impossible
Oct 2, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #46 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right, customers suffer from NOT damaging their hearing. And since when can DRM be disabled?
Jeez, what kind of far-fetched comparison is that?

It's not far fetched.

I know that listening too loud will damage my hearing. Therefore, any limit put on my player is useless to me and an inconvenience.

They assume everyone is dumb enough to crank the volume and damage their hearing. This is not the case. There are many people who are smart enough to not do so. These people are put at a disadvantage as a result of ignorant people.

Everyone is inconvenienced because of the actions of a few. That's where the comparison of DRM and volume limiting came in.

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #47 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And anyone who doesn't already know that you can damage your hearing from listening too loud is beyond stupid. **** 'em. Let 'em damage their hearing.

k

I agreed with your earlier posts, but when I read this one I feel like slapping you.
tongue.gif
So if a 5 or 6 year old picks up an iPod and listens to it loud and doesn't know about hearing damage, you're going to say "**** 'em. Let 'em damage their hearing" ? I doubt you'd say that about your own child.

A parent can't be at all places at all times and has no control over what the child does or doesn't do in their room at all times, so you can't make that argument.

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #48 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that listening too loud will damage my hearing. Therefore, any limit put on my player is useless to me and an inconvenience.

Either a) this is some kind of weird "logic" I don't (even want to) understand
tongue.gif
hehehe or
b) you know how your player's volume translates into dB (roughly), thus don't need a helping hand to find the right level.

In the case of b) that's great for you, doesn't help the majority of people though.

Go outside and ask some teenagers with those white earbuds what's dB, safe listening volume, max. volume of their ipod etc. Good luck.

Quote:

They assume everyone is dumb enough to crank the volume and damage their hearing. This is not the case. There are many people who are smart enough to not do so. These people are put at a disadvantage as a result of ignorant people.

There's sooo much wrong here .. You're the one who's making assumptions here.
Please provide some numbers or statistics that show what you describe. Again, good luck finding something like that.

Quote:

Everyone is inconvenienced because of the actions of a few. That's where the comparison of DRM and volume limiting came in.

Right, your initial comparison was about forcing the innocent to suffer because of assumptions that everyone pirates their software ..
If this isn't far-fetched I don't know what is.
confused.gif

And please describe what you (would) find so inconvenient in detail.

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #49 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agreed with your earlier posts, but when I read this one I feel like slapping you.
tongue.gif
So if a 5 or 6 year old picks up an iPod and listens to it loud and doesn't know about hearing damage, you're going to say "**** 'em. Let 'em damage their hearing" ? I doubt you'd say that about your own child.

My own child would know that listening too loud can damage their hearing.

Quote:

A parent can't be at all places at all times and has no control over what the child does or doesn't do in their room at all times, so you can't make that argument.

Then don't give children iPods.

se

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #50 of 72
No matter how ethical u wanna be, when ur walking home from school on a friday afternoon, it feels pretty damn good crancking it up. This comes down to how much you actually listen at a time. You should be able to rock out for 5 minutes.

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #51 of 72
Quote:

se

What often may be, in reality too loud, doesn't always sound loud to everyone and does not always cause discomfort to the person's ears.

I see no harm in limiting the volume of iPods as default if it can be easily adjusted for those older who have knowledge of such things.

If a 6 year old wandered into a medicine cabinet and ate his father's supply of Percocet, would we say "**** 'em" for not knowing better?

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #52 of 72
These comparisons are getting really stupid.

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #53 of 72
Quote:

se

See #24.

I don't see how that would be any better if parents forced their children not to use iPods.

Btw, off-topic: What did you do to k and who are you anyway, se?
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, what a tyrannic regulation, really worth arguing over
rolleyes.gif

Hehehe yeah.
popcorn.gif
One of the best replies so far.
[saying]Some need to be hit by a bomb on their head to figure out that there's war.[/saying]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No matter how ethical u wanna be, when ur walking home from school on a friday afternoon, it feels pretty damn good crancking it up. This comes down to how much you actually listen at a time. You should be able to rock out for 5 minutes.

That's cool and nobody hinders you from doing so.

Oct 3, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #54 of 72
Quote:

koyaanisqatsi7434.jpg
huuugh?

scnr, this avatar is just too funny. No offense!

Oct 3, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #55 of 72
^^ What? The regulation hinders me of doing so. Some bands, especially electronic music, IMO isn't much of a pleasure without getting the fealing ur ina club, classical sure, i wouldn't mind. There are regulations for most MP3 players if ur worried that kids will damage their hearing. If a kid "picks up" an ipod he wont be able to listen to it for long enough to damage anything if he just picks it up. The regulation in EU is already 30-40% less than the US. Using anything but IEMs doesn't get very loud. There are bigger threats to hearing damage than ipods. War, guns, live concerts, construction work isn't even payed attention to. A lot of young boys get tinnitus just from drills in the millitary.
Leave people and their listening habbits alone, let them get Dotted by Curse of Anything above conversation level (CoA), I for me it's worth to get dotted once in a while.

Oct 3, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #56 of 72
Quote:

^^ What? The regulation hinders me of doing so.

Hehehe, wrong.
tongue_smile.gif

edit: lololol mustn't scroll up xD

Oct 3, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #58 of 72
I think ur misunderstanding. I dont adjust the gouvernment.

Oct 3, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #59 of 72
Quote:

We've already had a car analogy. The comparisons can only go downhill from there.

Oct 3, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #60 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

My iPod Classic has a user selectable volume limit. The set volume limit can be locked with a 4 digit code so the kids can't override it without knowing the code. Parents can limit the volume if that is what they want to do. And yes, it would be a good idea for parents to do exactly that.

Course the parents would have to know what a safe limit is based on the music the kid listens to and the particular headphones. Very few people have the tools to measure the dB level from ear buds or IEMs or even on-ear style headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back