EU seeks to make 'cranking it to 11' on DAPs nearly impossible
Oct 1, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #16 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD-5000, did you read the first post?

And this is not the US and A. Over here in the EU we take health care, environmental pollution etc. serious ... and I don't see why it's bad to protect people from their own stupidity.

so should we ban butter too? or how about we have rationing to stop people from over eating? then lets ban booze too just in case anyone over indulges

who wants to be super healthy if everyone is utterly miserable

Oct 1, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #17 of 72
Quote:

HD-5000, did you read the first post?

And this is not the US and A. Over here in the EU we take health care, environmental pollution etc. serious ... and I don't see why it's bad to protect people from their own stupidity.

Right, then they should make only like 5w - or 10w RMS speakers too ?

Now they gonna BAN iPhone in EU, is getting better and better ..

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #18 of 72
Quote:

and I don't see why it's bad to protect people from their own stupidity.

Because it ultimately just creates more stupid people. If you never have to suffer any consequences of your stupidity, what incentive is there to remain anything other than stupid?

k

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #19 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because it ultimately just creates more stupid people. If you never have to suffer any consequences of your stupidity, what incentive is there to remain anything other than stupid?

k

I don't think that way. Just think of somebody who just bought such a device. He will see how loud it goes and turn it all the way up and then he will be surprised why it doesn't blow his ears - for this very reason, to not blow his ears. How could this not be the best way of education?

edit: Yes, one learns from making mistakes but hearing damage is irreversible ...

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #20 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aethelred /img/forum/go_quote.gif
we should note that said level would only apply to the default setting, not overall maximums. In other words, you can override the recommended listening level if you please

Wow, what a tyrannic regulation, really worth arguing over
rolleyes.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #21 of 72
Useless, in my opinion.

If you use a highly sensitive pair of headphones, you'll still be able to listen to them at ear bleeding levels. It's like they think all headphones will be at the same db level at a certain volume level on the player.

This may also negatively impact being able to use the headphone output to a stereo system. Some external amps may need every bit of the player's output to properly amplify the signal to speakers.

Edit: If all this is reversible then that's great.

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #22 of 72
Quote:

I don't think that way. Just think of somebody who just bought such a device. He will see how loud it goes and turn it all the way up and then he will be surprised why it doesn't blow his ears - for this very reason, to not blow his ears. How could this not be the best way of education?

I'm failing to see exactly what the "education" is here. All they would know is that they can only turn their iPod up so loud.

Quote:

edit: Yes, one learns from making mistakes but hearing damage is irreversible ...

And anyone who doesn't already know that you can damage your hearing from listening too loud is beyond stupid. **** 'em. Let 'em damage their hearing.

k

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #23 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD-5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you trying to be crass?

I'm trying to open your eyes. Ever heard of the Kyoto protocol, social insurance ... ?
And what the are you doing down there in Iraq?
tongue.gif

Quote:

You may think that protecting people from themselves is a good thing.

Yes.

Quote:

Maybe we should ban fast food ...

Heh you better should have.. so I wouldn't have to read about scary obesity numbers.
map4.jpg

map24.jpg

Quote:

You are a naive, shortsighted person.

I don't wanna get banned here, so no comment.
tongue.gif

Btw, I'm really sorry for off-topic stuff but it's not my fault only.

Oct 1, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #24 of 72
Quote:

And anyone who doesn't already know that you can damage your hearing from listening too loud is beyond stupid. **** 'em.

The problem is that it's not like either you have hearing damage or you don't. The hearing's damaged gradually, people might not even notice it (in the first place).
Everyone knows that very loud = pain = hearing damage but I think that many people think that if it doesn't hurt there's no damage, which is wrong.

edit: heh in computer games this is called DoT, Damage over Time
beyersmile.png

Quote:

Let 'em damage their hearing.

Don't worry, we do.

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #25 of 72
Quote:

Everyone knows that very loud = pain = hearing damage but I think that many people think that if it doesn't hurt there's no damage, which is wrong.

Then tell them that it's wrong. Don't have the government force some idiotic regulation on everyone.

se

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #26 of 72
Quote:

Then tell them that it's wrong.

Many portable audio products and headphones do include information on loud listening and hearing loss.

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #27 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by astroid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A more effective measure would have been to show the voume level in DB on the players.

No, people would not know what it means. And this is also something that is covered in the proposal - people will need to be able to make an educated decision. And that will inherently involve both the level and listening time.

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #28 of 72
All the law is is a warning message, not reducing people's liberties in any way, so I don't possibly see how this could not be a good idea. I suspect many would stop blasting their earphones if they were warned that their level is harmful.

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #29 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald North /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many portable audio products and headphones do include information on loud listening and hearing loss.

Yup.

Though the vast majority probably never do anything silly like RTFM.
atsmile.gif

se

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #30 of 72
Quote:

Then tell them that it's wrong. Don't have the government force some idiotic regulation on everyone.

se

Except of course the regulation is essentially about having to tell people that listening at execessive level for prolonged periods of time is bad :p So I am not entirely sure what your complaint is all about :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back