Etys........INCREDIBLE!!!
Nov 16, 2001 at 8:10 PM Post #31 of 155
Don't think its in the manual...haven't checked. Unfortunately I guess Ety's relies on some common sense and perhaps assumes that you are not wearing diapers or depends.

Cleaning the ear...perhaps making some effort to clean it in the shower with soap and water...than q-tips afterwards?

Cleaning Ety's...again maybe soap and water for rubber tips...maybe even cleaning alchohol for rubber tips. Maybe various types of convential cleaning clothes.

I guess you clean them when you see that they are dirty...and replace filters when you feel the filter is dirty.

Some people make the Ety's more difficult than they really are.

No I guess you don't put Ety's in a dishwasher or washing machine to clean them. I don't think you put them on the ground and run a vacuum cleaner on them either. You don't tape them to a wall and sandblast them. Don't wipe them on the grass of your lawn to clean them.

I guess I could be leaving some other essential cleaning tips out.

Nov 16, 2001 at 8:56 PM Post #32 of 155
Quote:

Can you imagine the feeding frenzy that would occur here if joelongwood put even half his collection up for sale?

No need to worry, guys,as I never sell anything. Geez, I think I still have my original Honda CL160 motorcycle in the garage............................................ ........................ somewhere.
wink.gif

Nov 16, 2001 at 9:32 PM Post #33 of 155
I guess after reading Vertigo-1's review of the Sony MDR-R10, saying that its not for everyone (all types of music) I figured that similarly there are compromises with the Ety. I'm not looking for negative things to say (of course not) I'm just trying to get the full scoop on them. For example I read a few things about cord noise with the Ety and also that plugging your ears up makes footsteps and internal body sounds more prominent. I also read a review by Corey Greenberg calling the Ety about the best thing he's heard ever. I'm always looking for comments saying how the Ety is with rock music since thats my main habit. The majority of Ety users *seem* to be more involved with classical and acoustic music; thats being general, but it seems that way.

Nov 16, 2001 at 9:40 PM Post #34 of 155
Classical and acoustic music is not my favorite genre by any means.

I think my Beyers DT931 are too biased towards those genres. I think my Grados are somewhat biased towards rock. And I think my Ety's just sound great with anything.

I actually usually prefer the less refined stuff...which is why the Beyers just sometimes don't work for me.

Nov 16, 2001 at 10:28 PM Post #35 of 155
Yeah, another great thing about Etys is there is no musical genre (that I've found) that doesn't sound good on Etys. Other headphones may do particular genres subjectively better, but IMHO no other headphone is such a good all-around performer.

Nov 16, 2001 at 10:46 PM Post #37 of 155
Yes, I do find that if you bump the cord you can definitely hear it with the earphones. I also can hear myself breathe (which, in lieu of the alternative) is or is not a bad thing.
wink.gif

I mainly listen to jazz, traditional, be-bop, contemporary, fusion, big band, etc., and through the Etys I don't think that music has sounded so better. I love jazz vocals (Patricia Barber, Manhattan Transfer, Diana Krall), and vocals are absolutely stunning through them, especially female vocals.

I also enjoy soundtracks and classical music. To date, I haven't listened to any of that genre through the Etys as I am still going through my jazz collection. My suspicions are that for the large orchestral CDs that I have, I will defer to the HD600s and the MG Head DT for those.

But, I will repeat what joelongwood said. The overall listening experience with the Etys is amazing. With the proper fit and seal you become very close to the music....it becomes an almost personal experience. Of course, this is just me and my opinion. Take for what it's worth.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2001 at 6:29 AM Post #39 of 155
Quote:

BTW, how do they compare to the V6's?

Welcome to Head-Fi flood5! As for your question, the V6s and Etys provide a VERY different listening experience. The V6 bass is bass you can feel......it is very deep and tight, whereas Ety bass is more subtle, and to my ears, more musical. In terms of detail and clarity, to my ears, the Etys win hands down. The music using Etys seems to be generated from within. These two headphones are so different, it's very hard to draw a fair comparison. Hope this helps.

Nov 17, 2001 at 6:34 AM Post #40 of 155
Man, I'm listenin' to these right now... I'm amazed everytime. The isolation is a blessing, blocks out everything, leaving only music. It'd probably suck if you had a hissy amp :p

Anyway, I wanna comment on bass... These do not lack bass. It's all there, musical, deep, very nice. You can't feel it, but once you get used to only hearing it, other headphones just won't seem as good... Heck, nothing seems as good, at least of the ones I've heard. Jude really needs some of these
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe his wife will get him his Christmas present early? Hehe...

Nov 17, 2001 at 7:02 AM Post #41 of 155
Quote:

I guess after reading Vertigo-1's review of the Sony MDR-R10, saying that its not for everyone (all types of music)

I really must go back there and redo that review one of these days, especially if people are still referring to it. I did that review back when all I had was a soundcard as a source, along with Monstercables for interconnects. Amps were just midfi amps like the MG Head or Grado RA-1, hardly suited to the R10's caliber.

Nowdays, with the RKV Mark II tube amp, Totem Acoustic Sinew interconns, and a...better source, the R10s just floor all my other headphones (which is why they're on sale right now), with just about any type of music you'd care to throw at them. Only exceptions being more agressive music perhaps...that's what Grados are reserved for. But really, that review is pretty badly outdated. I've come a long way since then in equipment and in how well my ears hear stuff.

Nov 17, 2001 at 8:20 AM Post #42 of 155
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!
As you might now I have the Grados 325.......but I've been considering to get a closed type headphone for obvious reasons..... So the Etys will be my choice.....

By the way, considering that the Etys are such a small headphones....does it make any audible difference if you use them through a Total Airhead kind of amp or a bigger amp?

Nov 17, 2001 at 4:37 PM Post #43 of 155
I don't think I'll ever hear anything as good as the Etys which I can claim it is truly mine. Ever since I bought my Etys I haven't bought any other headphone (nothing can tempt me now!)

Except, of course, for the new Etys, which I just have to have.

OTOH, I don't think the Ety sound is anything like the Grado sound. Grados are more extreme, sibilant, punchier and coarser (at least right up to the 125 range). Etys are waaaay discrete in the way they produce sound. While the Grado sound makes you notice how much detail and punch it has, Etys are relaxed, detailed and balanced.

Which is to say, I don't like the Grado sound, but love the Etys one. I'd compare it to Sennheisers (although the Etys are not so laid back).

Nov 17, 2001 at 5:11 PM Post #44 of 155
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1

I really must go back there and redo that review one of these days, especially if people are still referring to it.

Well obviously there arent other user reviews of the R10 because those headphones dont exactly grow on trees around here (well the enclosure grows on trees, but thats another story.) In fact I dont remember reading any other review of them in all the searches I've done. They interest me because I am looking at some point to get 'off the wheel' of head-hunting (hunting for headphones that sound better) and the top of the line models are usually where the answer is going to lay. If you say your earlier review is outdated then fair enough. But I did notice that a place in Japan has them new for about $2,300.. many times more what the Ety is costing; that reminds me: what is your experience with the Ety, Vertigo??

Nov 17, 2001 at 5:48 PM Post #45 of 155
Not to denigrate the Ety's which I'm not because I plan on getting a pair soon so I can be portable, but ... Regarding the cure for upgrade-ittis... I cannot imagine being more thrilled with the overall total musical experience of the AKG-K1000/ SAC-K1000/external subwoofer package. Completely accurate, completely enveloping, completely detailed, completely smooth, completely complete. But it ain't portable, so I'm gettin' some ety's to take the show on the road too!
Cheers!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back