Etys........INCREDIBLE!!!
Nov 22, 2001 at 3:08 PM Post #151 of 155
Suedama wrote:
Quote:

I was hoping someone would comment on how effective the sound isolation is around a computer. I do a lot of listening near a computer.

Suedama,

I use the Ety's at work, where I not only have the computer noise but also this low background hum from the building's heating/cooling system fans, and also co-workers chatting (I have buyers for computer eqpt. that sit right near me). With the Etys in and music at even a low volume, I cannot hear ANY of that noise. I can't even hear myself typing. A guy yesterday walked up to me and talked right into my ear while I was listening to the Etys and I didn't hear him at all. That should give you a good idea about how they isolate...
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jeff

Nov 22, 2001 at 4:08 PM Post #152 of 155
Agreed, you won't hear normal computer noise at all. One cautionary note is the 4Ps (don't know about 4Ss or 6s) will pick up any background hiss coming from the source. It's not really noticeable once the music gets going, though. Still highly recommended for use around/w/ a computer.

Nov 22, 2001 at 7:18 PM Post #153 of 155
I just hooked my Ety 4S+Hansen board Cmoy into our old LaserDisc player (it plays CDs too). I figured that it would be better than the Noise-O-Matic bookshelf stereo that I'd been using as a CD player... Boy Was I Right!

The sound is indescribably good. Think live concert. Think being suspended like one of those microphones on a cable in the middle of a concert. In Benaroya Hall. And this is 'just' with Mahler's Symphony No. 2 (Deutsche Grammophon DDD recording of Leonard Bernstein/New York Philharmonic)...

Incidentally, the laserdisc player is a Pioneer CLD-1090 with digital TosLink out. (among other things...)

Nov 23, 2001 at 12:10 AM Post #154 of 155
Cousin Eddie/jhoelter:

Thanks for the advice on using the Etys around a computer. I guess I have one more thing on my list of toys for Christmas.

As a wise man once said, "The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys."
biggrin.gif

Nov 24, 2001 at 4:35 AM Post #155 of 155
Oh yeah -- just to add to the discussion about isolation. A computer noise is nothing for these Etys. In fact, I'm going to be doing work at a co-location facility where the ambient noise is unreal.. at least twenty in-room air-conditioning units, thousands of computers, thousands of cabinet fans. I'll bring my Ety's in there and see how well it holds up to that -- and I'm certain they'll do just swell.

One thing I've noticed is that with just the headphones in my ears, it blocks out sound, but I can still hear people talk if they're directing it towards me, or if the TV is loud; however, just as soon as the music turns on (even @ very low volume / low dynamic music), background noise just disappears. Even right now as I listen to Alison Krauss (a pretty calm track), I can't even hear myself type!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back