Etys........INCREDIBLE!!!
Nov 15, 2001 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 155

joelongwood

Keeper of the 'Phones
I just received Vka's ER-4s.............incredible!! After my failed attempt to get them in my ears at the NYC Hi-Fi Show last Spring, I had just about given up all hope of experiencing what everyone here has been raving about. But the price was right, so I figured I'd give 'em another shot. Man, am I glad I did. The sound from these little things is absolutely incredible........I've never been closer to the music. Everything is balanced and the bass is deep and tuneful. I was able to get the correct fit the first time, using the rubber tips. I've had them in about an hour so far, and I almost forget they're in there. I'm using a JMT Penguin and a Panasonic portable CDP. If I had to pick a brand of 'phones that their sound quality resembles most, I'd have to say Grados. I think the major strong point (and there are many) of these things is their ability to transport the listener to the source and make one feel as if they are part of the music. Thanks to all who shared their comments about these little marvels. I'll say it again.....INCREDIBLE!
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2001 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 155
wow.........sounds like ya like em..........................

Hmm......mmmmmm.........hmm..........

Nov 15, 2001 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 155
I was under the impression this was the first time joelongwood actually got a decent seal...............???

Nov 15, 2001 at 11:23 PM Post #9 of 155
Quote:

Joe--congrats. Just one question: do you have any idea what made the fit so much better the second time?

At the NYC show, as soon as I tried to put them in, I kinda recoiled from the sensation. Plus, I didn't want to be embarresed by having the white caps come out dirty! So I never even got them in nearly far enough to get a good seal. At home, after spending close to $200.......I was gonna shove those damned things in no matter what! I've been able to get a good seal every time, first time. Maybe my ears are made for Etys!
BTW, welcome to Head-Fi, moose! And thanks again to all for recommending these things. Added benefit.............my wife doesn't tell me to turn it down anymore. And if she did, I wouldn't be able to hear her!
very_evil_smiley.gif

And my ears have never been this clean!
tongue.gif

Nov 15, 2001 at 11:33 PM Post #10 of 155
Congrats Joe!

Practice the phrase; "what was that honey, I must not have heard you?"

Cheers!

Nov 16, 2001 at 12:18 AM Post #11 of 155
Quote:

And my ears have never been this clean!

Yeah... if its one thing the ety does, it cleans your ear like crazy just by using them. Earwax will always come out leaving your ears to a nice squeaky shine. Though, I recommend cleaning your ears as best as you can before putting the etys in for the first time ever... so the wax isn't pushed back..

Nov 16, 2001 at 1:03 AM Post #12 of 155
Joelongwood- so you dont have the feeling that you're missing bass? (in the Grado sense of the term) I suppose from reading the comments about these Ety's I figured they were super accurate and intimate sounding but a little thin compared to a full size headphone driver moving all the air around. No? And please correct me if I'm wrong- I've never heard the Ety so I really dont know anything except what I've read.

Nov 16, 2001 at 1:59 AM Post #13 of 155
No way, dude, Etys do not sound thin. At least, not w/ a proper seal. All you're missing is the physical sensations on the outside of your ears... the sound is all there.

Nov 16, 2001 at 2:18 AM Post #14 of 155
Quote:

All you're missing is the physical sensations on the outside of your ears... the sound is all there.

That's what makes them so incredible. I think I had an "EtyExperience" the other night. Listening to some acappella Manhattan Transfer with the perfect fit and seal. I couldn't feel the Etys in my ears at all. It was as if there was beautiful music going on in my head, with no artificial source. It was almost emotional.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2001 at 3:17 AM Post #15 of 155
Oh no! ..this is exactly how guys get motivated into buying another set of headphones. Since I shoot a gun I am used to having earplugs relatively deep in my ears, so I dont think that would bother me. But you say the bass is all there? I'm gonna do another search of this subject. I feel my wallet is already in the pre-tenderization process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back