Etys........INCREDIBLE!!!
Nov 16, 2001 at 3:17 AM Post #16 of 155
I already told Santa Wife what I want for Christmas. 4S-something-or-other....
wink.gif

Nov 16, 2001 at 4:08 AM Post #17 of 155
Quote:

Joelongwood- so you dont have the feeling that you're missing bass? (in the Grado sense of the term)

I don't feel the bass is missing at all. The physical sensation isn't the same as with the Grados, as dhwilkin and JMT pointed out, but the sound is all there. It's very hard to explain.......but the sounds I'm hearing are absolutely stunning. Of all the headphones I have, these little things are far and away the ones that make the music personal.......it's playing within me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2001 at 5:36 AM Post #19 of 155
Quote:

so you dont have the feeling that you're missing bass?

If you've ever heard organ music, you know that it provides the lowest bass of any acoustic instrument. I've never heard Bach's organ works better than on the Ety's.

Nov 16, 2001 at 9:15 AM Post #20 of 155
joelongwood: Congratulations indeed. These little devils do make the most amazing sounds.

M Rael and Jude: Absolutely, you should snag some Ety's. The only downside is that you might not get a decent, comfortable. seal. From all the posts here, however, I'd say that risk is small.

However, M Rael, you are probably right in guessing that you earplug experience is an excellent predictor of your ability to use Ety's with comfort and dispatch.

MacDef: Uh huh. Organ music through the Ety's was a big surprise to me too. I'd been thinking that that kind of bass was not even set down on the recordings because I'd never heard it before from recordings (and I've had some pretty decent speakers and headphones in my time, too). With Ety's the bass line is part of the music, not overdone or wallowed in but just definitely there making its own--very valuable and thrilling--contribution to the whole. I'm gonna listen to some Trick Daddy soon and see how outrageously exaggerated bass comes off!

Nov 16, 2001 at 5:20 PM Post #23 of 155
joelongwood:

congrats on the purchase. i warn you, they are going to sound better and better to you, and other headphones are going to sound more and more flawed in various parts of the tonal spectrum. Just my opinion, but be forewarned...

Nov 16, 2001 at 6:06 PM Post #24 of 155
Quote:

How soft are the foam inserts?

The foam inserts are "pliable," meaning that they are designed to squish down to fit in your ears, and then expand back to seal them. I haven't actually tried them as I get a perfect seal with the rubber tips. But they seem very smooth to the touch.

Quote:

i warn you, they are going to sound better and better to you, and other headphones are going to sound more and more flawed in various parts of the tonal spectrum.

Can you imagine the feeding frenzy that would occur here if joelongwood put even half his collection up for sale?
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2001 at 6:09 PM Post #25 of 155
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT

Can you imagine the feeding frenzy that would occur here if joelongwood put even half his collection up for sale?
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

sounds yummy...

Nov 16, 2001 at 6:27 PM Post #27 of 155
Quote:

Earwax will always come out leaving your ears to a nice squeaky shine

So do the Etys get oily and dirty quickly? Also, does the seal not totally isolate you from any outside sounds? That would be very unnerving for me. On the other hand, not having ANY outside noise would be beneficial at certain times. But still, I think I'd be very uptight not being able to hear outside information, like phone, doorbell, crys for help etc.

Or am I being irrational?

Wait, I've got K501s, what am I doing even minutely coveting other kinds of phones??

Still...joes review....ARRRRRRRGHHHHHH!!!!

Nov 16, 2001 at 7:37 PM Post #29 of 155
Beagle, yes, the etys do get fairly dirty. The foam pieces get disgusting after a while and the rubbers kind of change colors. The barrel, too, gets quite a bit of oil from your fingers when switching tips. Isolation is a lot, but you can hear the outside if there is no music being played. With music, forget about hearing anything outside of you!

Nov 16, 2001 at 7:57 PM Post #30 of 155
Yea, but there are gazillions of ways to clean em, ya know?

Could anyone describe the best preventative measures? Like, cleaning your ears, cleaning the Ety's, when to do a more thorough cleaning of the latter, how, when to replace any part of the Ety's, how, etc.

I'm quite curious...

(This is all in hte manual, right?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back