Etymotics mc5
May 27, 2011 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

cowpow

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a set of <$100 IEMs that are sturdy and durable.

As of right now, I have my eyes on the Etymotics mc5 (~$70). They seem to fit my wishlist of a cheap, sturdy, and overall acceptable IEM. However the only problem I have is the lack of bass. I listen to a lot of electronic music and rock, so bass is important for me.

Music: Electronic and rock
Uses: At home, outside walking

Considering:
- Head Direct RE0
- Etymotics HF5
- Monster Turbine
- Future Sonics Atrio X

Thank you for your help.

May 27, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #2 of 13
The easiest and cheapest way is just EQ the IEM. For sub-$100, there ain't that many IEM that can best MC5 for build quality.

May 28, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 13
i'm gonna second the mc5. they've got really great build quality with some of the best cables i've seen on the sub 100 buck category (kevlar reinforced). the isolation is really great too. another plus is that etymotics has really good customer support if you ever need it.

unfortunately they won't give you strong bass, and will give you microphonics while walking. even trade offs in my book for that clear sound they give.

the shure se215s at the 100 buck mark might be something you want to look at as well - i've no experience with them but they might fit your needs from what other's have said.

May 28, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #4 of 13
I'd advise you to stay away from the MC5 not for the build quality (it's one of it's bests actually), but for the music signature you're probably looking for. I have a similar taste in music as you, and I find the bass in MC5's to be very lacking and in all honesty the clarity that is famous in Ety's signature isn't what I'm looking for when I'm listening to rock.

Not sure if you want to walk outside with the MC5's on too, might lead to some dangerous situations, and at home I feel that the isolation might be a bit overkill.

May 28, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #5 of 13
I would definitely not walk around outside wearing my MC5s, not in any kind of urban environment anyway. You really wouldn't be able to hear much of anything going on around you, which can be hazardous. I like them for work, where I have some noisy equipment and the extreme isolation is a relief. (The shirt clip does a good job of minimizing the microphonics, though, and they really are built like a tank. Mine are always crammed into a pocket, in their pouch along with my 6G Nano, and they've stood up to that for almost a year now with no problems.)

They have as subjectively flat a frequency response as I've ever heard. I like that for classical music, but I can see where it wouldn't work so well for other kinds of music.

May 31, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #6 of 13
Thanks for the help so far, it's quite informative.

So assuming build quality wasn't such an important factor, what would you guys suggest (GamBino especially)?

May 31, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #8 of 13
A lot of reviews have said that the left speakers goes out for no apparent reason. I'd like to try and stay away from such quality.

Quote:
the shure se215s at the 100 buck mark might be something you want to look at as well - i've no experience with them but they might fit your needs from what other's have said.

I read your review on the Atrio X's. Could you directly compare them to the Monster Turbines, as those are the main ones I am considering at this point.

Quote:
Atrio X....my new personal favorite under 100 bucks.  Wear em over your ears to eliminate the microphonics and they have a nice bass presence.  

May 31, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #9 of 13
Hard for me to really compare headphones as I'm not really qualified to speak about soundstages, forward mids or anything like that.  I like the Turbines as well (I've got those too), but they just aren't as comfortable to me and I definitely can't wear them at the gym.  It's all about comfort and convenience for me...and while the Turbines fit fine, they slide out at the gym.  In fact I'll probably be selling mine shortly as I just don't use them anymore.  They sound great for the price for sure...i just find the Atrio Xs better  from a usability standpoint.  Sorry I can't really go into the sonic differences because I will probably explain it wrong and get killed on the boards.

May 31, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #10 of 13
Sorry for not clarifying, I meant compare in terms of build quality and overall wearing experience. You mentioned in your other review that the Turbines were heavy, and you mentioned that they slide out at the gym. Were you using the triple-flange sleeves (which I believe provide a tighter and more secure fit)?

Thank you for your help so far.

May 31, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #11 of 13
No, I use the Sony Hybrids.  The triples are too isolating for me (the Atrio Xs are double flanges and those are about perfect).  If you like triples, then the Turbines would be awesome with those.  

The build quality is fantastic as far as I'm concerned.  The pair I have is from the newer batch with the right angle plug so they've gotten rid of the glue problems and cable issues that affected the Turbine line (all of them as far as I know) in the early stages.  To just chill around the house or to walk with, they would be absolutely fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back