Etymotic HF5 Tips
Sep 12, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #31 of 91
I'm curious, have you tried the Etymotic Dual Flanges yet (the ones that were originally for the ER6s)?  Those might help (then again, they may not).  I've heard Shure olives are the way to go though.

I found something really weird with my triflanges (smalls), they seal better without deep insertion.  If I lift up my pinna during insertion, it breaks the seal.  If I just stick it in and twist (no that's what she said jokes please :p), then the seal is good (and superior :))

Sep 12, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #32 of 91

Quote:
I'm curious, have you tried the Etymotic Dual Flanges yet (the ones that were originally for the ER6s)?  Those might help (then again, they may not).  I've heard Shure olives are the way to go though.

I found something really weird with my triflanges (smalls), they seal better without deep insertion.  If I lift up my pinna during insertion, it breaks the seal.  If I just stick it in and twist (no that's what she said jokes please :p), then the seal is good (and superior :))

I have not tried the dual flanges, but considering my experience with the ones I have I don't know if the flange type is for me.  Seems they're either uncomfortable or don't seal properly.  I think one problem is that I expect a very high level of noise isolation, coming from customs - that's one of the main reasons I went for this model of earphone.  That said, I am very close to ordering ACS custom tips - I highly doubt the Shure olives will give me what I consider acceptable isolation without making my ears uncomfortable.  The Ety foams work ok, but do hurt my ears after a while.

Sep 12, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #33 of 91

Quote:
I have not tried the dual flanges, but considering my experience with the ones I have I don't know if the flange type is for me.  Seems they're either uncomfortable or don't seal properly.  I think one problem is that I expect a very high level of noise isolation, coming from customs - that's one of the main reasons I went for this model of earphone.  That said, I am very close to ordering ACS custom tips - I highly doubt the Shure olives will give me what I consider acceptable isolation without making my ears uncomfortable.  The Ety foams work ok, but do hurt my ears after a while.

Have you tried the Gliders, aka Mushrooms?  I use these on ER4's.  SQ-wise, they flesh things out a little more for me. I am getting good results with small tri-flanges on HF5 (the old blue ones but I think they are different in color only).  The Gliders are comfy and do a good job with seal & isolation. They are ugly though.

Sep 12, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #34 of 91

Quote:
Have you tried the Gliders, aka Mushrooms?  I use these on ER4's.  SQ-wise, they flesh things out a little more for me. I am getting good results with small tri-flanges on HF5 (the old blue ones but I think they are different in color only).  The Gliders are comfy and do a good job with seal & isolation. They are ugly though.

I have tried those, and they did not isolate enough for me.  But thanks for the idea.

Sep 12, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #35 of 91

Quote:
I have tried those, and they did not isolate enough for me.  But thanks for the idea.

NP.  This is a such highly personal thing.  For some reason I am able to really jam these deep inside my cranium.  That is the downside of Ety's -- the need to get the perfect fit and seal, which are not always consistent with comfort.  

Sep 12, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #36 of 91

Quote:
NP.  This is a such highly personal thing.  For some reason I am able to really jam these deep inside my cranium.  That is the downside of Ety's -- the need to get the perfect fit and seal, which are not always consistent with comfort.  

I had no issues jamming them in - but then my music would not play at normal volume, somewhere along the line my ear canal was muting the sound.  Maybe my ears are just too twisted to work with normal tips.

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #37 of 91
I got my pair of Etymotic Hf5s this week. After playing with the various tips I absolutely love the Foamies (I've never used Foamies before with my IEMs never really liked the idea of having to buy a load of extra ones) but I must say I'm loving them, very comfortable ( I could not seem to get used to the triple flanges at all) and sound GREAT to my ears. I travel quite a bit with work and want to use the hf5's on long haul plane journeys (as well as bus/train/shorter plane trips and maybe some other day to day stuff and comfortable listening if I'm in bed and don't feel like putting on my HD25s) so comfort and a good level of isolation is important to me, even if the triple flanges may offer slightly better isolation (though I've had no problem getting great isolation with the foamies) they just aren't comfortable enough for me to imagine wearing for a 12 hour flight!

So my question is which foamies should I get, the size of the Ety ones included is pretty much perfect, so I'm thinking maybe either Medium Shure Olives or something by Comply?

Also I'm looking for somewhere good to order them from at a reasonable price (I'm currently living in the Netherlands) I don't mind if it's an ebay store or a stand alone site just somewhere trustworthy with decent prices!

Thanks a lot of any advice provided :)

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #39 of 91

Quote:
I got my pair of Etymotic Hf5s this week. After playing with the various tips I absolutely love the Foamies (I've never used Foamies before with my IEMs never really liked the idea of having to buy a load of extra ones) but I must say I'm loving them, very comfortable ( I could not seem to get used to the triple flanges at all) and sound GREAT to my ears. I travel quite a bit with work and want to use the hf5's on long haul plane journeys (as well as bus/train/shorter plane trips and maybe some other day to day stuff and comfortable listening if I'm in bed and don't feel like putting on my HD25s) so comfort and a good level of isolation is important to me, even if the triple flanges may offer slightly better isolation (though I've had no problem getting great isolation with the foamies) they just aren't comfortable enough for me to imagine wearing for a 12 hour flight!

So my question is which foamies should I get, the size of the Ety ones included is pretty much perfect, so I'm thinking maybe either Medium Shure Olives or something by Comply?

Also I'm looking for somewhere good to order them from at a reasonable price (I'm currently living in the Netherlands) I don't mind if it's an ebay store or a stand alone site just somewhere trustworthy with decent prices!

Thanks a lot of any advice provided :)

The medium Shure olives fit my ears great, and the Ety foams did as well so those are the ones I'd go for.  Never tried Comply anything so have no input there.  I bought my Olives from B&H, but I don't know much about international shipping stores.

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #40 of 91
Been using cut tri-flanges, but I cut off the largest flange and put the phones pretty far in. Also use Monster foams from the gel/foam kit on Amazon.

Also tried making DIY custom tips (just youtube "custom ear tips putty"). They sealed great, but the bass disappeared! I think I made them too far into my canal and have considered cutting them down some, but for now I'm ok with the Monsters

Sep 21, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #41 of 91
Just wanted to report back - the Shure Olives really are as good as everyone says - great sound, acceptable isolation (less than the triple flanges, but significantly more than the gliders or Ety foams) and very comfortable.  I decided to try them before I went in to get molds of my ears made for custom tips and I ended up cancelling the appointment!  Obviously customs would isolate a good deal more but I decided that it's probably safer for me to be able to hear some of the world outside.

Hope this helps someone else who's looking for better tips than those provided with the earphones!

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #45 of 91
The Klipsch are unsurpassed in comfort and isolation and stability in my experience. The mediums fit beautifully. It is unnecessary to jam the tips into the ear anywhere near as far as the triflanges and I can discern no loss in audio characteristics from the shallower insertion. In fact I have some custom tips that are no better in reproducing a perfect fit and seal time after time than the Klipsch. I use them on my Shures also with equally good results. I've got bags of assorted tips in search of the best solution. The Klipsch isn't the answer on some of my other IEMs but it's what I use with my Etymotics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back