Etymotic HF5 Tips
Aug 26, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #17 of 91
Some people hear a drop in treble response, but I don't hear that, except when they get old, have expanded in size and are needing to be replaced.  The size and shape of your ear canal can have an impact on sound with the Shure foams since they can get pinched if pushed in too deep or at the wrong angle -- then you will definitely hear a L/R imbalance.

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #18 of 91
i feel like they allow the earphones to expose more of the sound, with the triple flanges, they funnel the sound in and makes the treble slightly siblant, while the olives are more true to the real sound of the earphones.

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #19 of 91
  I spent today using the klipsch oval tips on the hf5s and they sound very similar to the silicone triples that come with the hf5.

After comparing them back to back on several songs and even several sections on different songs I came to the conclusion that the klipsch tips are very very close in overall sound when compared to the triple silicone tips.  I was unable to really pinpoint any differences between the two short of the ety tips having better isolation.

It seems like I will be sticking with these and the klipsch tips for now.  I'd like to try other balanced iems in the price range but it seems there are none that have the detail and clarity of the hf5.

Aug 27, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #21 of 91
im actually thinking about getting the Phonak perfect bass, just because i dont have enough money to afford the perfect fit.

how are the mids and soundstage and separation on those headphones. basically how do they perform with extreme metal?

Aug 31, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #22 of 91
So I finally got around to trying the foam tips that come with the IEMs.  They are in fact quite comfortable, but the isolation leaves a bit to be desired.  Do the Shure Olives isolate any better, or is this just the way foam works?  Thanks!

Sep 1, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #23 of 91

Quote:
So I finally got around to trying the foam tips that come with the IEMs.  They are in fact quite comfortable, but the isolation leaves a bit to be desired.  Do the Shure Olives isolate any better, or is this just the way foam works?  Thanks!

After more experimenting, the foam seems to be working very well actually.  In terms of size, what size Shure foam is close to the Ety ones?  Medium?

Sep 1, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #24 of 91
I used the HF2 for a long period of time. During that time I tested a lot of different tips.
(Complys, Olives, Sony Hybrids etc.)
In the end, the thing that worked best for me was to cut the grey triple flanges to two flanges. Even now, when using the Klipsch X10i,I use Etys triples cut to two flanges. Still with outstanding isolation, but they are easier to put in.
Try it!

Sep 1, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #25 of 91

Quote:
I used the HF2 for a long period of time. During that time I tested a lot of different tips.
(Complys, Olives, Sony Hybrids etc.)
In the end, the thing that worked best for me was to cut the grey triple flanges to two flanges. Even now, when using the Klipsch X10i,I use Etys triples cut to two flanges. Still with outstanding isolation, but they are easier to put in.
Try it!

Interesting.  How exactly did you cut the triple flanges?

Sep 1, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #26 of 91
I use a very sharp knife or a razor and then i just cut it off, exactly where the second flange ends. Very easy, and you will have a super tip for your Etys.
Let me know what you think if you do it. (Takes about 20 sec. so it´s not a hard job.)

Sep 1, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #27 of 91

Quote:
I use a very sharp knife or a razor and then i just cut it off, exactly where the second flange ends. Very easy, and you will have a super tip for your Etys.
Let me know what you think if you do it. (Takes about 20 sec. so it´s not a hard job.)

I think I will give this a try soon.  Just to confirm, you're cutting off the smallest flange, at the tip?

Sep 1, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #28 of 91

Quote:
I think I will give this a try soon.  Just to confirm, you're cutting off the smallest flange, at the tip?

I've done the same cut, and yes, you cut off the smallest flange where the shaft of the smallest flange meets the tip of the 2nd flange -- you are trying to make a smooth tip end with only 2 flanges, not 3.

Sep 12, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #29 of 91

Quote:

I've done the same cut, and yes, you cut off the smallest flange where the shaft of the smallest flange meets the tip of the 2nd flange -- you are trying to make a smooth tip end with only 2 flanges, not 3.

Finally had some time this weekend to try this.  After cutting off the smallest flange, the fit is indeed more comfortable - but I have completely lost the ability to make a seal, and therefore isolation is terrible and there is no bass.  This is even though I am inserting (more like jamming) the tip a good amount further into my ear than I was before the mod.

So the bi-flange mod is out.  Can anyone comment on the comfort, isolation and sound quality of the Shure olives compared to the Ety foams?  Also, which size of the olives is most similar in size to the Ety foams?  Thanks!

Sep 12, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #30 of 91

Quote:
Finally had some time this weekend to try this.  After cutting off the smallest flange, the fit is indeed more comfortable - but I have completely lost the ability to make a seal, and therefore isolation is terrible and there is no bass.  This is even though I am inserting (more like jamming) the tip a good amount further into my ear than I was before the mod.

So the bi-flange mod is out.  Can anyone comment on the comfort, isolation and sound quality of the Shure olives compared to the Ety foams?  Also, which size of the olives is most similar in size to the Ety foams?  Thanks!

Sorry the flange-cut didn't work for you.  Your ear canals must be a good bit bigger than mine if you can't get a seal with the larger section of the smokey colored tips.

The Shure foam tips are very comfortable, but they are a pretty tight fit on the HF5 -- patience is needed while twisting them on / off the nozzle.  If the Ety gray foams can be pinched and fit into your ears ok (I can't get them in, too big for me), then I would say the medium Shure olives will fit you fine -- the small size if very snug in my ear.  The Olives do not require as deep an insertion as the tri-flange tips, and you don't feel the plastic tube end sticking you in the ear, like the Ety foam!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back