Etymotic HF5 Tips
Aug 24, 2011 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 91

nyonya

100+ Head-Fier
I have a question for all you guys here that use / have used the HF5.  I bought these because of how they sound, and because I wanted maximum isolation for commuting etc.  The sound, as advertised, has been awesome!  But here's my issue:

If I use the gray triple flanges, they sound great, and isolation is awesome...once I get the fit right.  It takes me a decent amount of time every time I put them in to get the tight fit I need, which wouldn't be that awful in and of itself, but after several days the tips start really hurting my ears.  After looking up some advice on here, I tried the glider tips.  These are incredible for comfort - once they sit right I barely even know they're there.  Sound-wise, I think they're a bit worse than the triple flanges, but not positive.  But they are significantly worse for isolation!  For them to sound good they need to sit very shallow in my ears.

So my question is: is there a tip available that fits the HF5 that will give me the isolation and sound of the triple flanges, but with more comfort?  Are the Shure Olives worth trying, given my situation?  Comply foam?  Any other ideas I'm missing?  Or are the custom tips from ACS the only good bet?

Thanks a lot guys!

Aug 24, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #2 of 91
u could always try the standard foam tips they come with. in my opinion they provide just as good isolation, better comfort and the sound is almost the same. they just need abit more effort when inserting into ur ears

Aug 24, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #3 of 91

Quote:
u could always try the standard foam tips they come with. in my opinion they provide just as good isolation, better comfort and the sound is almost the same. they just need abit more effort when inserting into ur ears

Thanks, I gave those a brief try when I first got the earphones - I'll give them another go.  So is the consensus that there is no way to get the best sound besides the triple flanges?

Aug 24, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #4 of 91
Ety grey tri-flanges (for my ear canals anyway) give the best sound and isolation. Comply plain suck on all the iems I've tried them on, ety foams and gliders have bad durability.

Shure olives are a definite good option, but you won't get the same isolation. Try the custom tip option if you get frustrated with foamies (again isolation isn't as good). Or just get used to the tri-flanges... they soften up after regular use and last pretty long.

For me, everyday type use = Shure olives
Air travel, very noisy enviroments = tri-flanges

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #5 of 91

Quote:
Ety grey tri-flanges (for my ear canals anyway) give the best sound and isolation. Comply plain suck on all the iems I've tried them on, ety foams and gliders have bad durability.

Shure olives are a definite good option, but you won't get the same isolation. Try the custom tip option if you get frustrated with foamies (again isolation isn't as good). Or just get used to the tri-flanges... they soften up after regular use and last pretty long.

For me, everyday type use = Shure olives
Air travel, very noisy enviroments = tri-flanges

Thanks for the response.  For the Shure Olives, is the isolation significantly better than for the gliders?  Also, what size would I get if the triple flanges fit pretty well?  The triple flanges haven't gotten softer over time - if anything, they've gotten more painful.  They've also developed a shape where I've wedged them in my ears, so they aren't perfectly round anymore.  Is this normal?

Aug 24, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #6 of 91
I've used the Shure foam tips with my old HF5 and now my ER-4P, but I'm currently back to the grey 3-flange tips majority of the time.  I find that sometimes when I'm not in such a noisy environment, I don't have to insert the 3-flange very deep (I have smaller ear canals) to get a good seal and balanced sound.  The deeper I go, however, the more I have to wrestle with them for a balanced sound.

The Shure foam tips are very comfortable and provide 80-85% of the isolation the 3-flange give me.  About the same for the roundish Glider tips, but I haven't really AB'd the gliders with the Shure. 

The Shure tips last longer and provide better isolation than the Comply tips (too porous), but after a while they get bloated and expand too much and have to be replaced with new ones (every 4-6 weeks for me -- just surface clean them, don't soak them in water, is the trick).

Aug 24, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #7 of 91
The wedge shape is normal, mine continue to transform when I use them.  I love shure olives when I use any ety type of IEM.

Quote:

Thanks for the response.  For the Shure Olives, is the isolation significantly better than for the gliders?  Also, what size would I get if the triple flanges fit pretty well?  The triple flanges haven't gotten softer over time - if anything, they've gotten more painful.  They've also developed a shape where I've wedged them in my ears, so they aren't perfectly round anymore.  Is this normal?

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 91
Shure olives are better than Ety gliders in comfort and isolation and longevity (about 10 times better infact!)

My friend loves the Klipsch eargels for his Ety HF3. I use Klipsch eargels on my Atrio's. I wouldn't use any other silicon tips!

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #9 of 91
I use the Shure mushrooms on both my Etys and the Westone UM3X--incredibly soft, great isolation and easy on the ears as they don't irritate

Aug 25, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #11 of 91

Quote:
Shure olives are better than Ety gliders in comfort and isolation and longevity (about 10 times better infact!)

My friend loves the Klipsch eargels for his Ety HF3. I use Klipsch eargels on my Atrio's. I wouldn't use any other silicon tips!

Any idea how the Klipsch eargels compare to the Shure olives in terms of sound and isolation?  How are the Shure olives in isolation compared to the triple flanges?  Thanks for your feedback!

Aug 25, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #12 of 91

Quote:
I've used the Shure foam tips with my old HF5 and now my ER-4P, but I'm currently back to the grey 3-flange tips majority of the time.  I find that sometimes when I'm not in such a noisy environment, I don't have to insert the 3-flange very deep (I have smaller ear canals) to get a good seal and balanced sound.  The deeper I go, however, the more I have to wrestle with them for a balanced sound.

The Shure foam tips are very comfortable and provide 80-85% of the isolation the 3-flange give me.  About the same for the roundish Glider tips, but I haven't really AB'd the gliders with the Shure. 

The Shure tips last longer and provide better isolation than the Comply tips (too porous), but after a while they get bloated and expand too much and have to be replaced with new ones (every 4-6 weeks for me -- just surface clean them, don't soak them in water, is the trick).

How does the ER-4P compare to the HF5?

Aug 25, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #13 of 91

Quote:
Any idea how the Klipsch eargels compare to the Shure olives in terms of sound and isolation?  How are the Shure olives in isolation compared to the triple flanges?  Thanks for your feedback!

The Klipsch will be just slightly less isolation than the Shure Olives but I find the Klipsch give better sound, better comfort and ofcourse less hassle as you don't have to squeeze foam and set it in your ears.

Aug 25, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #14 of 91
I tried the regular olives that came mine, and I thought they worked quite well and were so much more comfortable than the phallically-insert-me ones.

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #15 of 91

Quote:
How does the ER-4P compare to the HF5?

While the HF5 is an excellent phone, esp at the current $100+ price, the ER4 is another step in clarity (not huge), and pretty significant step in musical cohesiveness.  It's hard to explain, but AB'ing them, the ER4 just presents all the instruments more correctly -- they are clearly defined and positioned properly -- whereas, with the HF5 in comparison, sometimes the location of instruments is a little more vague.  You can only really hear this by listening to them side by side.

I decided that when I had an opportunity to get the ER4P for a decent price, I jumped on it, and am glad I did. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back