Etymotic Filter Solution!
Aug 19, 2010 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Fallen

100+ Head-Fier
I own both the im716 and the im616, which like many etys, require filters.

I realized soon enough that I'd run through these filters way too fast, and since I don't live in the USA, I'd have a hard time getting replacements (and anyone who doesn't earn in dollars, yen or euro will tell you the filters are NOT cheap). After trying the various mods and solutions in these forums, such as the foam mod, or the nylon stocking mod, I wasn't really satisfied.

After a minor medical operation, I realized that medical micropore surgical tape, the kind used for bandages or for attaching an IV to your arm, bore a remarkable similarity to the filter material of the etys!

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/SH/SkinHealth/products/catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECFTDQG2O7_nid=SN62XP9S8NbeB385P3RT67gl

I tried it, works great! And completely customizable. Clear out the old filter material (personally, I left the red plastic ring, just dug out the filter paper so it keeps the same nozzle hole diameter), stretch out the tape over the nozzle and stick the tips back on. Presto!

As clear as a new filter. If you find it too sibilant, or if the highs bother you, just add another layer. One layer was fine with me though.

Try this next time you have to change your filter. Nothing to lose, works great so far in my book.

Aug 19, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #2 of 10
So you just put a small piece of tape across the nozzle opening, trimmed it a bit, I assume, and put the ear tips back on?  

I'm waiting on the MC5 to arrive, and I like a bit of a bright sound, so I might remove the stock filters and try the piece of tape from the start.

Aug 19, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #3 of 10
Exactly right. Stuck a piece of tape, and trimmed it (though far from cleanly).

I suggest you wait until your filters need replacing before you try this. No use wasting a perfectly good filter. :) It'll happen soon enough. For me, I waited until I noticed one side sounding more muffled than the other. When that happens to you, just replace the muffled filter with the tape. Compare the two sides and tell me what you think.

Aug 19, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 10
Do they really need to change filters that often? I've had an ER6i in the past and never had issues with filter needing to be replaced.

Aug 19, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 10
Obviously that depends on how much earwax you have. I keep my ear canal fairly clean so I never have any filter problem with any IEM.

Aug 23, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Do they really need to change filters that often? I've had an ER6i in the past and never had issues with filter needing to be replaced.

My excuses:

I use my im616 on a daily basis. I've had them for around 2 years now, they're attached to my phone with a headset adapter. I live in a very dusty city. When I'm not using them, they're usually stuffed into a lint filled pocket.

And yes, maybe I DO have unusually waxy ears. :)

I've changed my filters on my im616 twice. I happen to have 2 pairs of im616 and one pair of im716, so I actually have quite a few spare filters, but by no means an endless supply (The im716 I use maybe twice a month in a controlled setting, and put them in a nice box afterwards. I've never had to change those filters yet).

ANYWAY, the point i'm making is that eventually, if you use these enough, you're going to have to change the filters. So it's nice to know that I have a cheap and easy alternative. This medical tape mod is so convenient, and a major load off my mind.

I'm far from careful with my one, 'beater' pair of im616.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back