ETYMŌTIC IEM Owners Headcount - Are you one?
Sep 13, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #601 of 1,007
Yes I had 2 pairs and gave one away. I use the last one as spare. Sadly for me I use them for commuting and therefore looks do count. I have set them as spare after aquiring a UM2 and subsequently an ES2. Etymotic will really have to do something about the goofy look. I'd pay for twice the money but sadly some companies are set in their ways! A low profile stage usable Etymotic is clearly a endless pit of cash but how come they cant see? It really disappoints me.

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #602 of 1,007
I'm currently waiting for an Ety ER4-P.
etysmile.gif

Sep 15, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #604 of 1,007
Quote:

Originally Posted by honda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
old ER-4S
old ER-4P
new ER-4S
new ER-4P
new ER-4B
white ER-6i
black ER-6i
Musician's earplugs -9dB clear, -15dB clear, -25dB clear

Wow, true fan! Why so many?

Sep 16, 2007 at 8:31 AM Post #607 of 1,007
Hi dimm0k,

the white 6i was my first armature IEM. I wasn't able to get them to fit right so I put them away for a while. Then I came across Sensaphonics so I decided to order custom sleeves for them. Sensaphonics informed me that they do no make sleeves for 6i, but I had my heart set on them already so I had to buy the 4Ps. Then after that I think I just went insane and bought every IEM that ever came into sight. The 4S was a used one, I put new filters in and I liked the sound so much I went out and got a new set, which turned out to be the new type and sounds even better (I believe the new type has a slightly stronger low end). And so I got a set of new type 4P too. Then I came up with the theory that the 4B would probably give me the best sound out of all IEMs for live recordings and live vocals, so I got them specifically for listening to live recordings and for video and audio chatting. Then the black 6i came out, so I got that too, for outdoor use, because I never really liked the ER-4 cable for walking with, I only use them when I am sitting still. And the Musician's Earplugs, I never fly without them and they are a must for motorsports and concerts. Sometimes when I fly to noising places, I would even use the -9dB chips for walking around town.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimm0k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, true fan! Why so many?

Sep 16, 2007 at 11:23 AM Post #608 of 1,007
Quote:

Hi dimm0k,

the white 6i was my first armature IEM. I wasn't able to get them to fit right so I put them away for a while. Then I came across Sensaphonics so I decided to order custom sleeves for them. Sensaphonics informed me that they do no make sleeves for 6i, but I had my heart set on them already so I had to buy the 4Ps. Then after that I think I just went insane and bought every IEM that ever came into sight. The 4S was a used one, I put new filters in and I liked the sound so much I went out and got a new set, which turned out to be the new type and sounds even better (I believe the new type has a slightly stronger low end). And so I got a set of new type 4P too. Then I came up with the theory that the 4B would probably give me the best sound out of all IEMs for live recordings and live vocals, so I got them specifically for listening to live recordings and for video and audio chatting. Then the black 6i came out, so I got that too, for outdoor use, because I never really liked the ER-4 cable for walking with, I only use them when I am sitting still. And the Musician's Earplugs, I never fly without them and they are a must for motorsports and concerts. Sometimes when I fly to noising places, I would even use the -9dB chips for walking around town.

Yes musician earplugs are great stuff. I'm sure it's very helpful in Tokyo busy streets. I also always have my ER15 in my pockets.
By the way the most comfortoble Musician Earplugs that I have ever purchased is from ACS. They made such a high quality sillicone. Superbly comfortable and less sticking out as well.

I have to agree Etymotic kick ass. I love my ER-4P/S as well.

Ety and Supermacro such a GREAT MATCH.

Ety website should recommend Xin supermacro Amp you know.

Sep 16, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #609 of 1,007
Quote:

...I went out and got a new set, which turned out to be the new type and sounds even better (I believe the new type has a slightly stronger low end).

How noticeable is this between the new set and the older? You're making me want to get a set of new ones, if not for this subtle change, but to have the new color.

TO honda, jlingo and others with the Musician's Earplugs: which one would be the most ideal for loud concerts between the -9, -15, and -25?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ety and Supermacro such a GREAT MATCH.

Ety website should recommend Xin supermacro Amp you know.

Maybe if the Xin amps weren't in such high demand and scarce supply... I'd actually love to have one except the wait time is ridiculous.

Sep 16, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #610 of 1,007
Brand new ER4P>S owner here!

So far I am in love, but I am ampless right now!

Things can only get better.

Sep 16, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #611 of 1,007
Quote:

Originally Posted by dimm0k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How noticeable is this between the new set and the older? You're making me want to get a set of new ones, if not for this subtle change, but to have the new color.

TO honda, jlingo and others with the Musician's Earplugs: which one would be the most ideal for loud concerts between the -9, -15, and -25?

Maybe if the Xin amps weren't in such high demand and scarce supply... I'd actually love to have one except the wait time is ridiculous.

If you are a real fan of Etymotic, The wait time for supermacro is very well worth it, I have paired my ety with M902, EMP, Hornet, SR-71, but I still prefer Ety with supermacro by a lot.

Another Amp that is worth considering is the TTVJ Hybrid Millet, makes Ety sound more open, BIG, floaty without any constricted feeling, smooth, and most important of all very tubey.
smily_headphones1.gif
Exceptional decay. Soundstage is even bigger than the supermacro, very impressive. Only for those who appreciate tube sound alot. It's my favorite for my night listening very musical. Only if the Millet has bassboost option like supermacro or Lisa, would be perfect for me
smily_headphones1.gif

As for musician earplugs, It really depends on where you are located. If you are in HK or Tokyo or any other busy downtown city, -15 is great. I find -15 to be the most versatile of all.

if this is your first time getting a musician earplugs, it's wise to start with the -9. You will hear pretty much everything(Sounds more open) so you may not be in so much shock in terms of sound difference.

-25 is only great for few situations only. In my case, I only wear -25 when I'm in an environment such as bad factory machinery noise, airplanes.

As For Concerts I still opt to -15. Besides -15 has the flattest attenuation across the spectrum.

Sep 16, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #612 of 1,007
Wow! The er4s is the first IEM (I believe), that I have had that don't make "S's" sound like "ssssssss", lisp like.

On the ER4, it sounds very natural.

Sep 16, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #615 of 1,007
The newer ER-4s (with smooth flat black surface bodies instead of the sand blasted-like semi-gloss finish) seem more airy with more presence in the low end. With these I can go ampless on my Cowon D2 and not feel anything is lacking. In ER-4S guise, he older pair seems comparitively a bit lacking at the bottom end. If I lay off my dual and triple driver IEMs for a while, the new type P actually sound boomy and very, very full in the low end to me. The S is not boomy but subtly extends way deeper in the bass end and has a much more sparkling treble range than P. I do agree, ER-4S still seems to be the only IEM that doesn't have a rolled off high end yet doesn't exhibit painful siblance.

Just in case there is some confusion, instead of looking at the cable, you should be looking at the bodies (smooth/flat black or sand blasted/semi-gloss) to determine if it is new type or old. Smooth/flat black are the new type. Because my new type ER-4S still came with the same old red/blue, non-twisted cabling but with the smooth earpieces, yet the sound is a different. The new type P and B both have all black twisted cabling. I don't know if the S cabling has been or will be changed over to the all black and twisted type.

As for the Musician's Earplug values, I find -15dB to be the most useful, best for all-around use. If I had to give up 2 of my 3 pairs, I will keep the 15s. I use it in concerts, in motorsports, on flights (I to be able to hear when stewardesses talk to me). I use the -9dB mainly for around town if I am not listening to music, but I think the -15s work just as well for that. The -25s I rarely use. Mainly they are used around blabbering females and crying babies. But actually, solid plugs probably work better.

dimm0k;3280304 said:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back