ETYMŌTIC IEM Owners Headcount - Are you one?
Apr 9, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #376 of 1,007
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevo937 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much do you guys like your ER-4? Are they comfortable?

I have worn mine on a 9 hour flight to Hawaii and had no problems. The added benefit is that you do not hear the screaming kids around you.
cool.gif

Apr 10, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #377 of 1,007
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nqstv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First - ER6 (clear)
Second - ER4S (Red/blue)
Third - ER6i (White)
Ordered Today - ER4P (Black)

I have the Shure E4c, but I still keep going back to Ety's. They just sound better to me. People say they are analytical, but for my ears, they are the cleanest, most engaging IEMs I've owned.

I too think that the ety sound is great. They don't leave me wanting anything.

You have a nice collection there
etysmile.gif
I just got the black ER6 a few days ago and I'm very impressed. I've had the ER4P for almost 11 months and use a Supermini IV for P>S conversion...and bass boost
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #378 of 1,007
Etymotics are amazing! Ive got the ER4-P with P to S adapter and the Er6i aswell. Even though I have Triple.fi 10s, I still use my etys all the time! They're GREAT!

Apr 10, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #379 of 1,007
I have the ER6is in black and use them all the time in the coffee shop where I write.

Apr 11, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #380 of 1,007
I just ordered the ER-6i model online and hope to get them within a week.
etysmile.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #381 of 1,007
i'm returning to the Etys after a year stint with the E500s.
i just realized i'm a diehard ety house sound fan, hard to change.

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #382 of 1,007
ive bought and returned ety er4p twice! i really want to like these headphones. i do like the neutral sound but just cant get used to the isolation and lack of soundstage.

Apr 11, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #383 of 1,007
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ive bought and returned ety er4p twice! i really want to like these headphones. i do like the neutral sound but just cant get used to the isolation and lack of soundstage.

It sounds like you're not an IEM person (or do you prefer other IEMS?).

I love the hyper detail from my ER4. Damn the soundstage
etysmile.gif

I find that it also depends on the amp, either way no IEM will give you full size can soundstage of course. I simply love that brain implant musical experience.

Apr 11, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #384 of 1,007
Quote:

Originally Posted by ywd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can take me off the list, i returned my er6is.
frown.gif

So sorry to hear that, ywd.

Quote:

I really liked the sound, was clearly more detailed than my ksc75s, but my ears firmly rejected all the tips.

How can your ears have rejected foamies? Can you really not wear foam earplugs?

Quote:

I thin my right ear canal is shaped differently than my left
eek.gif

Again, sorry to hear it. That effectively takes you off the list for nearly all IEMs.

Have you ever worn custom earmolds? You might pursue that, if only to (a) have a pair of musicians' earplugs to wear to concerts and airports to preserve your hearing and (b) create tips that can be used with the ER-4P and a legion of other IEMs. (Both Etymotic and Westone offer this.)

Apr 11, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #385 of 1,007
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's like saying you've just filched a Thomas Sutter table but can't get used to the collapsible minimalist design, or haven't been able to get any rest sitting in Rietveld's Red/Blue Chair -- didn't you know that from the inizio? (Isamo Noguchi is right out, of course!) Isolation is one of the main reasons to buy the ER4P/S. Micro-detail in a dry studio room is the essence of the sound. People who expect something less Spartan should really pursue other IEMs.

It sounds as if you've been misled. The Shure SE420 or, ideally, the E500 would probably be perfect for you (though I strenuously advise listening before buying). Both have a bafflingly good soundstage.

Really, you should come to the next Head-fi international meet. The presence of various IEM companies, and the ability to try out different kinds under hygienic circumstances, will aid you immeasurably in choosing the correct model for your purposes.

tische_5.jpg

x.jpg

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #387 of 1,007
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrypt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
// I thin my right ear canal is shaped differently than my left//
Again, sorry to hear it. That effectively takes you off the list for nearly all IEMs.

I have the same problem. I'm finally thinking about getting rid of my Ety's after trying to adjust to them for a couple months. In one ear it feels like one cotton ball stuffed in, while in the other it feels like three. It's absolutely infuriating and maddening. I just realized today I haven't even tried using them in well over a month.. sigh.. Of course, that might have something to do with my new Onix Rockets and the fact I never leave my office too..
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #388 of 1,007
Quote:

Originally Posted by ywd, not scrypt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
// I thin my right ear canal is shaped differently than my left//

x99: While the quote you've attributed to me contains true poetry ("I thin my ear" -- the lament of a middle-aged person whose filaments are falling out, or a flight attendant with her/his head stuck in the second dimension?), perhaps it would be best for you to restore ywd's credit rating.

Quote:

Originally Posted by x99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the same problem. I'm finally thinking about getting rid of my Ety's after trying to adjust to them for a couple months. In one ear it feels like one cotton ball stuffed in, while in the other it feels like three. It's absolutely infuriating and maddening. I just realized today I haven't even tried using them in well over a month.. sigh.. Of course, that might have something to do with my new Onix Rockets and the fact I never leave my office too..
wink.gif

Given your torrid affair with said Rockets (you wild switch-hitting any-port-in-an-amp-ready number), this might not prove useful advice:

Since you seem to be lamenting the agony of wearing foamies, consider this: what if you were pronounced hearing-impaired and commanded to wear une hearing aid immediate mot? Why, you'd need specialized tips to fit, given the anomlies of your ear canals. (Try to avoid the radioactive variety.) Various tips in various sizes are made for those who sport auricling devices, and Ety earphones are compatible with certain such. Said tips prove cheaper than custom earmolds (thrillingly so, if bought in sets). It occurs to me you might have to buy different pair and mix singles (which should appeal to someone with your good-time-x99 tendencies). Since I myself am unimagnicanalular, I haven't kept the sponges of my research close at hind. However, a search on these boards for terms such as "hearing aid," "foamies" and "Etymotic" might move you closer.

A thread concerning Comply tips may be digested (after a meal of savory moth in wool sauce) here. Note the participation of Etymotic personufacturer, Don "Could you repeat that, please?" Wilson.

Apr 15, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #389 of 1,007
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinrite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm returning to the Etys after a year stint with the E500s.
i just realized i'm a diehard ety house sound fan, hard to change.

WELCOME back to the fold!!!! Any Ety diehards would understand you completely.

I have never left Ety but already I have TWO gen of Etys
etysmile.gif
. And for some reason I believe my ER-4S has even better soundstage and imaging that HD580 which I tried a couple of days ago - yes freaking shocking for me because I was expecting the HD580 to outclass ER-4S in Soundstage/imaging but no! it's the other way round. I guess I am doomed to the Ety faction for good
etysmile.gif

Time for updates!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back