ETYMŌTIC IEM Owners Headcount - Are you one?
Apr 16, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #391 of 1,007
- ER4-P (Black)
- ER6i

etysmile.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 12:08 PM Post #394 of 1,007
It's my forth time coming back to Etys' and I'm glad I did.ER4P(blk)+S adapter= Sweetness!
etysmile.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #395 of 1,007
Add me! Add me!

Just got my ER4S(red/blue). Great sound and detail, but it seems my ears need a bit of burning in... no problems the first day, but yesterday and today they really hurt my left ear.

Currently amping them with a PA2V2, but I hope that a Xin might add a bit of warmth to them.

Apr 30, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #400 of 1,007
I have something I would like to share with my fellow ER4 fans. Lately, I have been experimenting with different EQ settings using the parametric equalizer in Rockbox, in order to improve the sound of my ER4s. Although the ER4s are the best IEMs I've heard, my goal was to make them sound more like my HD650s, which I think sound much better and more pleasing than my ER4s. I used the Parametric EQ in CoolEdit to experiment and came up with these settings which sounded the most pleasing to me:

EtyResponse.png

Basically, the bass is boosted by 4db at 220hz and below, and from there gradually slopes down until reaching zero at 1kHz. You will notice that there is a small dip at 6kHz. The reason for this is because of something I remembered reading at the Linkwitz website: "The 7.5 kHz peak is due to the acoustic impedance mismatch between transducer, ear canal and ear drum causing a half wavelength resonance in the canal."

Until I remembered this, I had been wondering why I simply couldn't get my ER4s sounding as smooth as my HD650s, despite working so hard on my EQ settings. After going back to his website and re-reading the section on reference earphones I knew that this was the reason and I went to find my own personal ear canal peak. I don't have access to a sine wave generator with a manually sweepable frequency, so I had to wing it using pink noise and songs that I am familiar with and make a best guess, but the results so far are very satisfactory. I will be making further refinements. You will have to find your own, because it is certainly different from my own. I also believe that this may be the reason why some people find the ER4 to be harsh. It isn't because of the FR of the ER4 itself, but because their ear canal is introducing a large high frequency peak.

So, after testing the above settings using many of my favorite songs and determining that they were satisfactory, I entered them into Rockbox's equalizer. I set the precut to -4.5 instead of -4, just to be safe. Simply put: it sounds awesome, much better than the ER4 unequalized and (to me) almost exactly like my HD650s. The bass is much bigger but not overpowering or out of place, and the lower mids are much smoother and euphonic. The sound is less technically neutral, but much more pleasing to listen to.

If a normal ER4S looks like this:
Er4s.png

Then mine looks (roughly) like this:
ER650.png

I believe than any Ety fans that also use Rockbox owe it to themselves to try this out, you just might be pleasantly surprised!

UPDATE:

After further study and testing, I have found that removing the upper-midrange peak makes the sound drastically smoother and less offensive without harming the audibility of vocals or instruments. I eq'd this out and reworked the other settings (because I have limited number of peak EQs to work with) to compensate, and have achieved a sound that to me is indistinguishable from the HD650, even in direct comparison. Using my songs and pink noise to test, I put my HD650s on my right ear, and an ER4 in my left ear, and proceeded to do several tests. I loaded a song up, equalized the left channel using my filter, then played back the song. Switching between the left and right channels, I could not tell which was which as far as frequency response is concerned. It is perfect. I have finally done it. The bass, the mids, the highs, they are effectively identical to the HD650 to my ears. Turning the EQ off, I am presented with a very harsh sound with an obvious high frequency emphasis. I truly cannot believe I listened to them that way for so long.

Ety6.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back