ETYMŌTIC IEM Owners Headcount - Are you one?
Dec 8, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #781 of 1,007
Me too. Hadn't lurked on the phones forum, so didn't see this....

ER-4P (red/blue), no "S" adapter.

Dec 8, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #782 of 1,007
Hate to do this but hearing that EFN's PM box is full here and seeing how he hasn't been on in a while does anyone know how to contact this guy?! Purchased a cable from him to support his photography hobby like back in September and this guy has yet to send it out. I've e-mailed him and his last response basically said if he had not fixed the cable by last Monday that I'd get a refund. It's way past Monday and e-mails since then have not been returned... What?

Dec 12, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #783 of 1,007
Yay! ER6i's arrived today, and before I go on holiday too!

They kinda hurt though... With the triple flangs it only goes in up to the 2nd flange... Not sure if thats normal. It also kinda scratches my ear somehow. Not sure what's doing it but it hurts.

The stock foamies are good, I like them. They're comfortable. But they don't look like they'll last long.

I also got the Shure Olives but even they're uncomfortable as there is SOMETHING scratching and hurting my ear... I also think the small sized ones are a bit too small for me.

The sound is good though, a nice taste of the Grado sound. The bass is a bit weak but EQ fixes it up nicely.

Also, mine only came with a set of foamies and a set of tri-flanges. Is this normal? This http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ety...ctures-255829/ review here shows pictures of it including alot more, including double flanged tips...

Dec 28, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #785 of 1,007
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do all new production ER4P come in black?

Sadly yes and it makes them damned frustrating to put in when its dark, but its also why god designed 6.5mm red heatshrink sleeving to be a nice slip on fit on ER4 barrels.

Unfortunately - as of 3 odd hours ago - I'm no longer a Etymotic user seeing as the left hand channel on my ER4P's suddenly went excruciatingly distorted. I was hoping it was just a clogged filter but having swapped the filters out it still sounds totally unlistenable
frown.gif
boo hoo

Dec 31, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #787 of 1,007
You should definitely send them in to Etymotic, chances are they will replace the drivers for free, even if they are out of warranty as mine were. Turn-around time is usually a week and a half so its not too bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leqin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sadly yes and it makes them damned frustrating to put in when its dark, but its also why god designed 6.5mm red heatshrink sleeving to be a nice slip on fit on ER4 barrels.

Unfortunately - as of 3 odd hours ago - I'm no longer a Etymotic user seeing as the left hand channel on my ER4P's suddenly went excruciatingly distorted. I was hoping it was just a clogged filter but having swapped the filters out it still sounds totally unlistenable
frown.gif
boo hoo

Jan 15, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #788 of 1,007
Is this thread still alive?
If so, count me in
smily_headphones1.gif

Just received my second set of er6's today,
the right channel died after about 30mins use on the first set(this seems like quite a common issue with etys?).
I use them with etymotic musician's earplugs custom molds with adaptors, and i love them! They sound fantastic, almost like my grados
smily_headphones1.gif
A bit bright out of my ipod, but nothing a little EQing can't fix
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #790 of 1,007
I tried Shure SE 420s and own a pair of the UE-10 Triple.Fi, and all I can say is that my ER-4S isn't going anywhere. These are just an engineering marvel designed in the early 90s and still able to trump anything else. They have a sound that nothing else can emulate.

Jan 15, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #791 of 1,007
Damn ER4P's !!!!

Just purchased them a 2nd time around as a back-up to my Triple Fi Pros and well.....they are no longer my back-ups. They make the entire Triple Fi presentation sound very cloudy and hazy. It's like having cataracts for gosh sakes. While I know this is an adjustment to the ears, at the moment the Etys sound more like the music is suppose to sound. How can any of you still listen to your Triple Fi's as owners of Etys?

The fact that the Etys are so balanced sounding make it possible to "train" your ears that the bass IS good enough. Astonishing how these single driver $175 IEM's canmake so many other IEM's sound so bad.

Jan 15, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #792 of 1,007
Quote:

Originally Posted by leqin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

frown.gif
boo hoo

TBH it doesn't really make any difference to my enjoyment of the music if I put my headphones on the wrong way round though. In fact I very rarely notice unless I am listening to songs I know really well, and even then I don't care. All the sound is still there.

Oh and I'm a broken ER-4P owner. And soon will be a new ER-4P owner.

Jan 15, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #793 of 1,007
That's because entire etymotic lineup produces more linear sound then UE's multidriver line up.

Products - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

If you like ER4p give Shure E4c a try. I find they're the closest sounding IEMs to ER4p with excellent fit. And their sound in many cases is more enjoyable.

Jan 15, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #794 of 1,007
I've had E4C. It's an outstanding IEM and the slightly warmer and bassier sound sig is ideal. I also vote E4 THE IEM that fell out of fashion quickest here on Head-Fi after being one of the highest regarded universals made. (about 12-16 months ago).

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #795 of 1,007
er4p and er6i here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back