Ety HF3 iphone control issue
Feb 8, 2011 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tone

100+ Head-Fier
I just received a pair of ety hf3 iems with iphone controls and the controls do not work at all. I have a iphone 3gs (updated with the latest software) and the original stock ear bud controls still works great. Has anybody else encountered this? If there is a quick fix I could try before i send it back?

i already tried cleaning the jack, and the old stock bud controls still work fine so i know its not an issue with the iphone jack.
A quick search doesn't show a quality control issue with the hf3 so maybe i just got a bad one.

Thanks for the help.

Feb 11, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #2 of 6
Update.

Contacted Headroom yesterday morning regarding the iphone 3gs control issue and i'm supposed to hear back from them (the employee said they would contact me after trying a demo hf3 with another employees iphone 3gs). Once i get a answer i'll post the response. I'll try again tomorrow morning. crossing my fingers.

So far they sound nice with a lot more clarity than the mc5 iems but the iphone control problem is a deal killer for me. If there are any alternatives at the hf3 price range and sound quality with 'working' iphone controls please let me know. :wink:

Feb 11, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #3 of 6
Most likely, the microphone and ground contacts on the plug are reversed relative to the Apple stock earbuds. If you like the sound of the Ety's, look for a 3.5mm TRRS-to-TRRS adapter, which should give you back your headset control. MEElectronics sells such an adapter for $10, but I'm sure you can find a cheaper one elsewhere.

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #4 of 6
There shouldn't be any compatibility issue using the hf3 with the iPhone 3Gs (I'm using the hf3 on the 3GS as well and volume control, play/pause, skip track features function normally).  Not sure what Headroom's return/exchange policy is, but if you have any problems, contact me directly at r_carlson@etymotic.com so that we can arrange a RMA for you.

Feb 16, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the feedback everyone and I'll be in touch EtyHeadRick if I am still having problems. Headroom is sending me a new unit and I'll post whether it works or not when i get it. I wish Headroom was a little better with their customer service though. I didn't get any response with my initial email and had to call twice. It was so strange. In the past they have been awesome though.

I probably just got a 'Monday' hf3. We'll see what happens when i get the new unit!
normal_smile%20.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back