ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
May 17, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #2,132 of 3,213
This is what I am talking about:

Without this, the original pads might be reusable a few times, but not as often and easily as the new pads. I thought this would be included with the new pads, but I did not get any.

Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #2,133 of 3,213
The Ether 2s mids are not forward but neutral. They both have opposite sound signatures when comparing them to each other. Ether 2s sub bass doesn’t roll off, neutral mids, and the top end can be dark. The AFOs have a roll off at the lowest octaves, forward mids, and more sparkle at the top end. My preferences are a mid forward sound as well and sometimes I wish the Ether 2 had a bit more of it. I wonder if the new pads would make any changes here.

Very well put. I own both and they are so different that owning both is justified in their differences. However, if I wanted to take either headphone to the top of their potential by splashing out on amps and DACs that have the right synergy I would spend my money in pursuit of what the Ether 2s might produce - and I'm seriously considering trying to wring the last drop of quality out of them because they are a superb phone that vary quite considerably in how they're driven. For example, I have the Cavalli LP which I bought specifically for the E2s, but bought the Gilmore Lite MK2 as a fill-in whilst waiting for the LP to arrive but, at time of writing, I prefer the Gilmore's synergy to the Cavalli's - the Gilmore adds a hint of warmth to the E2s - just enough to have it swing slightly in the direction of the AFO sound. The Gilmore also pulls very hard at the low end and takes a fraction of the sparkle out of the top end whilst handling it beautifully.

I'm very curious to hear @Mr Speakers' (Dan) view on the synergy between the E2 and the HeadAmp GS-X mini Balanced, because the little Gilmore Lite MK2 at just a third of the price of its more expensive cousin really rocks. Been totally surprised by it and I would urge anyone who likes the E2s but wants a hint of warmth and can borrow one on loan to give it a go

May 17, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #2,134 of 3,213
I'm very curious to hear @Mr Speakers' (Dan) view on the synergy between the E2 and the HeadAmp GS-X mini Balanced, because the little Gilmore Lite MK2 at just a third of the price of its more expensive cousin really rocks. Been totally surprised by it and I would urge anyone who likes the E2s but wants a hint of warmth and can borrow one on loan to give it a go

Check page 141 where Dan briefly talks about the E2 and GS-X mini pairing at the Munich show as well as comparing the Gilmore and mini.

I also snagged a Gilmore lite this week and have been pondering trying the LP. I must say the Gilmore lite Mk 2 is very impressive. Based on Dan's comments and a short question to Justin at HeadAmp, I have preordered the mini. For now I'll keep my basic Garage 1217 hybrid tube amp and not buy the LP. The Garage 1217 amp is SE, not balanced like the LP, but the mini will be when they ship!

Then we have pads shipping................more tuning!

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #2,135 of 3,213
Just put on the suede pads.. however, I only received one sheet of wax paper for my old pads for storage. :p

Right off the bat: the clamp is greatly reduced -- it's still there, but now it's more for a secure fit than anything else. What a God send! Thanks Dan! These truly feel like an expensive pillow on my head.

I might just have to buy the perforated as well. :)

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #2,137 of 3,213
More importantly..................how do they fit, feel and SOUND????

Since I've put them on I've not had the need to readjust them. This is the most comfortable headphone I've owned. In terms of sound there seems to be a subtle lift in the sub-bass -- subtle! There used to be an odd shouty nature to the treble, but now it is seemingly gone. Everything sounds very smooth, yet still technical. A great marriage.

May 18, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #2,138 of 3,213
Ear pads should start arriving tomorrow. Hope everyone enjoys them. My comments vs the stock pads:

1) Perforated are really great for vocals, and for those wanting a bit more splash on the top. Nice layering, deep and wide soundstage, center front is a few rows further out, with a nice depth of field and solid imaging. Probably the pad I listen to the most.

2) Suede pads are really buttery warm and smooth, they're particularly great with well-recorded music turned up a bit. They're also a lot of fun when you pull out an annoyingly bright rock album and want to bump the volume a bit.

I just received both pairs of pads yesterday and have been pad rolling quite a bit since then (Stayed up well past my bedtime auditioning them!) So far it's a tough call what I prefer most. The perforated are amazingly comfortable compared to original and I'm currently wearing the suede as I type. I agree with both statements about the sound above. I have to assume my right ear is larger than my left. I was always fidgeting with the right ear cup on my right side with the original pads due to contact with the back of my right ear. So far, I fidget the least with the perforated, but am giving the suede a good opportunity to show me what they can do.

I noticed that I only received one circle piece of wax paper per package. Was this deliberate? It makes storing the original pads, and whatever replacement pad is off of the headphone, more difficult. Will any brown wax paper work so I can make additional pieces to store the pads without having to double them up on the provided wax paper? Want to make sure I don't ruin the new pads. Also, will the upgrade kits for the original pads be available on the site? I saw the video on YouTube, but cannot locate them on the site.

So far both replacement pads have been a joy to play around with. The discomfort with the original pads was the only thing preventing me from declaring these my end game headphone.

Currently streaming Tidal Master quality from a custom built computer via USB -> Questyle CMA Twelve Master edition running in pure Class A -> VIVO balanced cable -> Ether 2 with Suede pads.

May 18, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #2,139 of 3,213
Yup, I agree with you regarding the treble with the stock pads. Looking forward to receiving my pads. Did you receive a notice of shipment or tracking from Mr speakers?
MattTCG found the suede pads (at least the prototypes) to have a pretty nice bump in the bass. Dan didn't mention the bass when he described the pads sound earlier this week, however.

May 18, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #2,140 of 3,213
Yup, I agree with you regarding the treble with the stock pads. Looking forward to receiving my pads. Did you receive a notice of shipment or tracking from Mr speakers?
MattTCG found the suede pads (at least the prototypes) to have a pretty nice bump in the bass. Dan didn't mention the bass when he described the pads sound earlier this week, however.

Yes, I received a shipping notice with tracking. I had sent a follow up email requesting an ETA on Tuesday, received shipping notification Thursday, pads arrived Friday.

May 18, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #2,143 of 3,213
My suede pads arrived 1.5 hours ago. Of course I bum rushed the mailman and immediately got to installing them. First impressions:

-It was surprisingly easy to remove the old
Pads and instal the new ones.
-I received one piece of wax paper for storage, so I put one of the original pads on each side after removing them. No big deal.
-These are very coMfortable. I never had a comfort issue with stock but these are next level. The clamp has an even lighter feel. The extra ear space is nice. The suede is so soft and feels great against my skin.
-I’m going to need a lot more time to develop an opinion on sound but I’ll give my first two immediate impressions.
-I’m picking up more sparkle in the treble and a wider sound stage. Could be the larger ear hole?
-Everything else is smooth as a baby’s bottom with all that sub bass that I love.

Amazing tweak Dan. Being able to personalize an already amazing product easily? That’s so darn thoughtful. Thank you.

May 18, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #2,144 of 3,213
My suede pads arrived 1.5 hours ago. Of course I bum rushed the mailman and immediately got to installing them. First impressions:

-It was surprisingly easy to remove the old
Pads and instal the new ones.
-I received one piece of wax paper for storage, so I put one of the original pads on each side after removing them. No big deal.
-These are very coMfortable. I never had a comfort issue with stock but these are next level. The clamp has an even lighter feel. The extra ear space is nice. The suede is so soft and feels great against my skin.
-I’m going to need a lot more time to develop an opinion on sound but I’ll give my first two immediate impressions.
-I’m picking up more sparkle in the treble and a wider sound stage. Could be the larger ear hole?
-Everything else is smooth as a baby’s bottom with all that sub bass that I love.

Amazing tweak Dan. Being able to personalize an already amazing product easily? That’s so darn thoughtful. Thank you.

More treble? Dan’s graphs showed that the suede pads reduced treble. That’s interesting.

May 18, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #2,145 of 3,213
More treble? Dan’s graphs showed that the suede pads reduced treble. That’s interesting.

Take that with a grain of salt as I literally just installed them and was 30 minutes into listening to some reference tunes. The sparkle jumped out at me right away though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back