ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
May 13, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #2,086 of 3,213
For myself the only frame of reference I might personally have hear for "suede" earphone pads or anything remotely like them would be the AKG701s (these were light and VERY comfortable) and even the Sennheiser HD800s. (I know these weren't suede per se)

Are the Ether 2 suede ear pads like either of those? Odds are I will buy them in any event when I place an order for the Ether 2s. I'm still kind of holding out to see if an "existing customers who bought Ether Flows" discount comes down the wire. :wink:

May 13, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #2,087 of 3,213
So, has anyone get their earpads order shipped yet?

I was also wondering about this, I went ahead and order both and would gladly share my thoughts once received.

May 13, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #2,088 of 3,213
Thanks. Yeah, I also have 3 pads pre-ordered (1 for friend). I'm just wondering whether the earpads shipment has started yet. :)

May 14, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #2,091 of 3,213
Pads will start shipping today or tomorrow, they should all be en route this week. :)

Great reaction to them in Germany!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 14, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #2,093 of 3,213
The description of the "perforated pad" on your website says it is synthetic suede. Isn't it synthetic leather?

Indeed. Corrected. Thanks!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 14, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #2,095 of 3,213
Video to use the new pads is here

Video to upgrade factory pads is here

May 14, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #2,096 of 3,213
So, after long thought and combing through all the forums i have narrowed down my pairing choices for the Ether 2 down to three amps:

The Violectric 281(2000€), the Audio GD Master 9(1500€ but i have to buy the R8 later) and the SPL Phonitor XE for 2000€.

The V281 seems to be the favorite pairing with the Ether 2 with this reviewer:

https://www.fairaudio.de/test/mrspeakers-ether-2-magnetostatischer-kopfhoerer/

- where he states (google translate with a few corrections by me) :

"It was practicall, that at the same time I still had to test the bearish 3-watt transistor SPL Phonitor xe ), which would have been the ideal cast with its neutral authoritarian gait and in particular its unperturbed analytical presence in the midrange and treble. Had not a hifi-colleague paired the Ether 2 for fun with the Violectric V281 (price: 1.999 Euro). Voilá: Just a bit more resolving and more concise in the high tone, without robbing the elegant sound of Ether 2 analytically of his charm, the MrSpeakers had found in the power cube of Lake Constance his perfect counterpart. Everything there what you need, no false effects, no discoloration, no bugs in frequency, only music, music, music. Quite clear: This cloud filled with wonderfully "real" music around the listener's head, to which the MrSpeakers Ether 2 is capable, clearly carries the number 7 with carefully seasoned electronics."

The Audio GD Master 9 does not seem to do anything wrong compared with the other 2 and i can get it for 1500€, even tho it is a 30 pound monstrosity, i do have have enough space at my desktop setup for it.

The SPL Phonitor is the only one not truly balanced in this comparison but still has enough power to drive almost anything with its 120V circuit.
In my eyes its selling point seems to be the most advanced and mature crossfeed circuitry in any below 5 figure headphone amp.
Big (and obviously superficial) bonus is the great looks the unit has with its VU-Meters which give me "Das Boot vibes" and the guilty-pleasure-red you can get its front painted in.

First of i have to mention that i am a high end audio novice of not even 12 months - still i managed to "work" myself through a few AMPs, DACs and headphones so far, i have owned HD599, HD700, LCD-2 2.2 pre-Fazor, Schiit Vali 2, Magni 3 and
i currently own an Audio GD NFB-28.18 and a Woo Audio Wa7d, the cans i am listening to on these amps are the HD800 SD-mod, HE1000, LCD2 Classic, Aeon Flow Open and my newest member - here to stay - the magnificent Ether 2.

My upper limit is around 2000€(-ish) and i am aware that any of these amps will be a huge improvement to anything i own and have ever owned.
So the only question still remaining is the one of synergy with my Ether 2 - with any of the other features of these amps being just added bonuses to my final decision.

Thanks in advance for your input and opinions on this - oh so bittersweet torment - of picking a 2000 bucks Headphone Amp guys (and grills). :)

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #2,098 of 3,213
Damn, that Nitinol can be twisted quite hard...

Indeed, it's super tough. You have to literally force a kink to damage it. To my knowledge other than someone deliberately bending it, we've never had one deform.

May 14, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #2,099 of 3,213
One other cool thing with the swappable pads: you can rotate the placement to find the most comfy fit for you. It's in the directions included with the pads....

May 14, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #2,100 of 3,213
Video to use the new pads is here

Video to upgrade factory pads is here

Thanks Dan. I can’t wait to try out the suede pads. The idea of the Ether 2s being more comfortable is wild given how well they wear with stock pads.

Also, I got an MScaler recently. The detail retrieval of the Ether 2s is exquisite while still remaining musical. You mentioned that they scale well; they sure do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back