ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Apr 27, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #1,951 of 3,213
@llcook51 I saw your post on the LCD-4 thread just before I say your post on this one. Its quite the coincidence as actually bought the Ether 2 two days ago. This is my second time owning them as I loved them so much the first time I bought them I couldnt get the sound out of my head. I only sold them the first time around cause I wanted to experiment with other cans which ultimately lead me to the LCD-4. I loved the E 2 so much that having regret letting it go the first time I figure it to be my only option or at least the one that would make me most happy.

I do appreciate the recommendation my friend. I believe I will be happy with the Ether 2 and LCD-4 as my endgame Planar's... at least until the Ether 3 and LCD-5 haha. Got SR-009 and Shangri-La Jr. to fill the more analytical sound realm.

I might also buy back if a new way to substantially reduce clamping pressure is ever invented.
I would love to hear your impressions between the lcd4 and ether 2. I briefly compared the lcd4z and ether 2 in a local audio shop. They sounded pretty similar while the lcd4z had more mid-bass bump. But I thought the lcd4 still wins over the lcd4z in terms of technical proficiency.

Apr 27, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #1,952 of 3,213
I will definitely provide some clarity on the differences I notice in sound when my E 2's come in. With regard to clamping force I believe with that particular headband you can just lightly work it out to soften the clamp.

Thanks for the explanation of differences between 4 and 4z as I have been curious though pretty sure I had made the right choice on the standard 4.

Apr 27, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #1,953 of 3,213
I will definitely provide some clarity on the differences I notice in sound when my E 2's come in. With regard to clamping force I believe with that particular headband you can just lightly work it out to soften the clamp.

Thanks for the explanation of differences between 4 and 4z as I have been curious though pretty sure I had made the right choice on the standard 4.

I don’t think it’s possible to work out the headband. Nitinol has a “memory” and always returns to it’s original shape.

Apr 27, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #1,954 of 3,213
I might also buy back if a new way to substantially reduce clamping pressure is ever invented.
I would love to hear your impressions between the lcd4 and ether 2. I briefly compared the lcd4z and ether 2 in a local audio shop. They sounded pretty similar while the lcd4z had more mid-bass bump. But I thought the lcd4 still wins over the lcd4z in terms of technical proficiency.

Maybe your already have tried, but have you tried pushing up the sliders a little bit more to make the cups go down a little bit more?
Dan suggested that in the thread while ago and that worked for me and I don't feel too tight anymore.

Apr 27, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #1,955 of 3,213
Maybe your already have tried, but have you tried pushing up the sliders a little bit more to make the cups go down a little bit more?
Dan suggested that in the thread while ago and that worked for me and I don't feel too tight anymore.

Yes, I tried. That slightly loosened suspension. Even though it increased the period of comfort like from 30mins to 1 hour, that was temporary to me.

Apr 27, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #1,956 of 3,213
Is the Nitinol really so impervious to stretching? I didn't realize that. I would have thought it could be at least lightly stretched. Perhaps MrSpeakers has a resolution for this and may be able to offer some assistance if you email them.

Apr 27, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #1,957 of 3,213
Is the Nitinol really so impervious to stretching? I didn't realize that. I would have thought it could be at least lightly stretched. Perhaps MrSpeakers has a resolution for this and may be able to offer some assistance if you email them.

Kinda the reason Nitinol is called "Memory Wire" and "Memory Metal".

Apr 27, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #1,958 of 3,213
Well damn thats kinda cool

Apr 28, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #1,959 of 3,213
Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #1,960 of 3,213
Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #1,963 of 3,213
@heliosphann holy hell you were not lyin he basically twisted those headphones into oblivion. That is insane. Damn I gotta look into that metal haha. I have to imagine headphones arent the only applicable way to use something like that. I mean my god if you did that with any other metal that metal is not gonna look the same when your done. Wow how did I miss that when I was watchin reviews on this headphone. Last time I owned these and when I had the Ether Flow C's I thought they would be delicate because of the thin nature of the two bands. Guess I wont be so concerned this time around. Thanks for sharing that video my friend.

Apr 28, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #1,964 of 3,213
Oh and to @franz12 I feel bad for you my friend. I am relatively aware now that the headband on the E 2 is of a rather magical nature and you could likely see its shape maintained in a nuclear explosion. It may in fact be more feasible for you to get surgery to have that specific portion of your cranium narrowed to accommodate these beautiful headphones. Although that might then make these the most expensive headphone setup on earth aside from the ludicrous and blasphemous diamond and gold plated nonsense that has been done to certain Utopias.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #1,965 of 3,213
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back