ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Apr 28, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #1,966 of 3,213
I don’t think that in our entire history we have had someone contact us about a bent headband.

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 30, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #1,970 of 3,213
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 1, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #1,971 of 3,213
A fabulous review just came out on Innnerfidelity: "My favorite flagship."

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/mr-speakers-ether-2-review-–-my-favorite-flagship
This is a great review, partly because it is detailed and accurate. It looks at the HP from the perspective of an avid listener. After months of listening to this great HP on both solid state and tube amps, I can say it brings out the best in any good chain. Feed it good material and just sit back and enjoy. And isn't that what it is all about? Soul satisfaction.

May 1, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #1,972 of 3,213
Time to time I am wondering if the Ether2 would be a good fit for me. My top three qualities I am looking for in a headphone is bass quality (extension, impact, clarity, energy), spaciousness (width and depth), easy treble (detailed but smooth and friendly).

My all time favourite at this point is the Empyrean, but that is out of budget at the moment. I would pick the Empyrean vs the LCD4 any day even though I like Audeze house sound.
I like the airiness and spaciousness of the HEXV2, but I didn't like the overly smooth and diffuse sound. I like the clarity of the Clear but it is too aggressive for me.
For my bass preference I can only go with planars, that's clear for me. Under $1500 my current favourite is the LCD2C, but this headphone is also not without faults. Bass for me is perfect, but could use a little more air and clarity from midrange upwards. Still, for my purposes this is better than anything I heard under $1500 including LCD3 and ZMF hps. (Running the 2C from a pretty clean and powerful setup: Qutest/Taurus MKII.)
I wasn't a big fan of the Aeons either. AFC was a bit thin and too neutral to me, AFO was better but not very refined and a little claustrophobic. (I have to add I only heard the Aeons from Mojo/CMA600i.)

I have hopefully given enough information here for you guys to decide whether you would recommend the E2 for me or not. My biggest question is if I would find E2 bass as impactful and satisfying as LCD2 bass? HEXV2 had excellent but different bass, I prefer the more focused and impactful Audeze bass to that since I listen to quite a lot of electronic ambient stuff.
Many thanks.

May 1, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #1,973 of 3,213
Time to time I am wondering if the Ether2 would be a good fit for me. My top three qualities I am looking for in a headphone is bass quality (extension, impact, clarity, energy), spaciousness (width and depth), easy treble (detailed but smooth and friendly).

My all time favourite at this point is the Empyrean, but that is out of budget at the moment. I would pick the Empyrean vs the LCD4 any day even though I like Audeze house sound.
I like the airiness and spaciousness of the HEXV2, but I didn't like the overly smooth and diffuse sound. I like the clarity of the Clear but it is too aggressive for me.
For my bass preference I can only go with planars, that's clear for me. Under $1500 my current favourite is the LCD2C, but this headphone is also not without faults. Bass for me is perfect, but could use a little more air and clarity from midrange upwards. Still, for my purposes this is better than anything I heard under $1500 including LCD3 and ZMF hps. (Running the 2C from a pretty clean and powerful setup: Qutest/Taurus MKII.)
I wasn't a big fan of the Aeons either. AFC was a bit thin and too neutral to me, AFO was better but not very refined and a little claustrophobic. (I have to add I only heard the Aeons from Mojo/CMA600i.)

I have hopefully given enough information here for you guys to decide whether you would recommend the E2 for me or not. My biggest question is if I would find E2 bass as impactful and satisfying as LCD2 bass? HEXV2 had excellent but different bass, I prefer the more focused and impactful Audeze bass to that since I listen to quite a lot of electronic ambient stuff.
Many thanks.

It sounds like the Ether 2 could be a good fit for you. I haven't heard the Empyrean, so can't compare to that. In your 3 categories (bass, spaciousness, and easy treble), I think the Ether 2 fits the bill. The bass and sub bass is definitely well extended, but it may be weighted less than Audeze house sound (of which i am also a fan). I do also have the Suede pads on pre-order and hope that will give me just that last bit of warmth.

May 1, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #1,974 of 3,213

Many thanks.

I do not think that the Ether 2 bass is as impactful as the LCD2 bass, but I think it is more satisfying because of how accurate it is. I have really never heard bass like this before. The texture and detail is unmatched.

May 1, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #1,975 of 3,213
A fabulous review just came out on Innnerfidelity: "My favorite flagship."

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/mr-speakers-ether-2-review-–-my-favorite-flagship

I like this review because it takes into account the whole headphone experience: Fit, Finish, Comfort, Sound.

I’ve had headphone that sound good but are a chore to wear. Headphones that fit well but have gaps in the sound quality. Headphones that cost a lot that look like they let a high school kid assemble.

Getting fit, finish and comfort right is an accomplishment in itself. Adding in a balanced sound signature that 100% nails my preference and is 100% true to the source is amazing.

May 1, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #1,976 of 3,213
And ANOTHER pretty stellar review just came out, from The Verge.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/1/1...iew-audiophile-headphones-price-sound-quality

"They’re priced like a luxury product and they work like a true luxury product. It’s up to you decide exactly how much you want to spend on a system of electrified magnets that drives a diaphragm to feed vibrations into your eardrum, which are then interpreted into little packets of euphoria and sent up to your brain. All I can say is that the Ether 2s are a great one of those."

May 1, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #1,977 of 3,213
Agree in the review with this point:
  • You’ll need a beefy amplifier to enjoy them at their best

May 1, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #1,978 of 3,213
IMO it is hard to fault the Ether II. I don't know, people can go into all the details of sound and that is important if you haven't heard the Ether II.
Agree in the review with this point:
  • You’ll need a beefy amplifier to enjoy them at their best
I don't totally agree with this. And while I have some excellent desktop amps here, the Ether II sound great out of the DX220 and the AMP8 as a totally portable source.

May 1, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #1,979 of 3,213
I have to disagree that the Ether 2 needs a 'beefy' amp to sound their best. I run them out of my iPhone 6 and DragonFly Red and they sound almost as good (maybe 10% less) than when running off of my Violectric HPA V181.

May 1, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #1,980 of 3,213
IMO it is hard to fault the Ether II. I don't know, people can go into all the details of sound and that is important if you haven't heard the Ether II.

I don't totally agree with this. And while I have some excellent desktop amps here, the Ether II sound great out of the DX220 and the AMP8 as a totally portable source.
amp 8 is 6v.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back