ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Feb 4, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #1,426 of 3,210
i find them to be my most comfortable pair out of my current and past heaphones. The clamp is just right for my head and doesn't feel like its going to fall off. The worst clamp force i've experienced was the HD660s and on the other end of the spectrum, my th900 mk2 felt like it was going to fall off if i made any sudden movements.

I wear these 6-8 hours a day almost every day and i can't wait to experiment with some new pads.
Based on your description, your head is on the small side which works well with Ether2. I think people with larger head size will find the clamping force a bit too strong.

Feb 4, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #1,428 of 3,210
OK, so a little more information, now that our patent filing is done! Pricing and availability will be posted within a few weeks.

The pad mounting system replaces magnets, bayonets, stretching or adhesives with a cutting-edge very thin elastomer on the bottom of the pad; it’s almost as tacky as a good adhesive and creates an air tight seal. But unlike an adhesive, the elastomer can be installed and removed at least 100 times reliably. An elastomer is essentially a compressible rubber that maintains it shape and has a robust surface that can be maintained. If it ever starts to loose tack, you just wipe with an alcohol wipe to clean it. We really like this mounting system for multiple reasons:

1) Lowest possible weight, weighs less than 6 grams a headphone
2) Bulk and size, keeps profile slim and weight down by eliminating ALL mounting hardware, no rings, clips, magnets, or other fixtures required
3) Price, it's laser or die cut elastomer, very affordable compared to hardware
4) Air-tight seal, to ensure best bass response
5) Easy to maintain, just wipe with alcohol or even water to remove contaminants if stick decreases

You can even place a piece of the elastomer over the bottom of the default pads shipped with your headphone when you remove them, and then they become swappable too.

The first planned pads will be:

1) Larger ear hole with approximately the same shape, with a microfiber/suede finish, slightly softer memory foam
2) Larger ear hole with approximately the same shape, perforations in fabric with a microfiber/suede finish or the current synthetic leather, similar memory foam

Following this we will likely introduce other pads based on demand and feedback.

Shown: Larger ear hole with perforated interior wall

IMG_0493.jpeg

One of the polymer discs to apply to an installed ear pad:

IMG_0492.jpeg

Polymer installed on a pad, looks just like the adhesive, but its not!
IMG_0491.jpeg

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 4, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #1,429 of 3,210
OK, so a little more information, now that our patent filing is done! Pricing and availability will be posted within a few weeks.

The pad mounting system replaces magnets, bayonets, stretching or adhesives with a cutting-edge very thin elastomer on the bottom of the pad; it’s almost as tacky as a good adhesive and creates an air tight seal. But unlike an adhesive, the elastomer can be installed and removed at least 100 times reliably. An elastomer is essentially a compressible rubber that maintains it shape and has a robust surface that can be maintained. If it ever starts to loose tack, you just wipe with an alcohol wipe to clean it. We really like this mounting system for multiple reasons:

2) Bulk and size, keeps profile slim and weight down by eliminating ALL mounting hardware, no rings, clips, magnets, or other fixtures required
5) Easy to maintain, just wipe with alcohol or even water to remove contaminants if stick decreases

You can even place a piece of the elastomer over the bottom of the default pads shipped with your headphone when you remove them, and then they become swappable too.

1) Larger ear hole with approximately the same shape, with a microfiber/suede finish, slightly softer memory foam
2) Larger ear hole with approximately the same shape, perforations in fabric with a microfiber/suede finish or the current synthetic leather, similar memory foam

Following this we will likely introduce other pads based on demand and feedback.

KEWL!

Feb 4, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #1,430 of 3,210
Nice! I would love for a leather earpads please...

Feb 4, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #1,431 of 3,210
I guess this option will increase the soundstage. Fabric pads might help, but I hope it will not lose bass response much.

Feb 4, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #1,432 of 3,210

Constant innovation and care for your customers! I love that all of your upgrades don't render other releases obsolete.

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #1,433 of 3,210
Now how does the larger opening affect the sound? Experience with Fostex cans tells me that the larger opening will mean a more trebly sound. A lot might like this-- myself partially included. Hopefully the treble doesn't get out of control though.

Feb 5, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #1,435 of 3,210
I want to express my gratitude to Dan at MrSpeakers for his advice of how to put on the headphone (by pulling the lower half cup "out" first, adhere the higher half cup tight to face, then let the lower half cup naturally "fall" on your face). Though I do not own an pair of Ether headphones, this method improve comfort for one of my favorite pair of headphones, which has similar structure with horizontal pivot but without vertical pivot. I found this method distribute the press to my head much evenly. Now I am seriously considering buying a pair of Ether 2 (though not seem quite relevant) thanks to Dan's kindness.

Feb 5, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #1,436 of 3,210
will any of your pads be on demo for can jam nyc?

Yes, at least one set of new pads will be in the Shubert room, our quiet space with Headamp.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 5, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #1,437 of 3,210

I bet, not just myself, but a lot of people on here would like to know how, if at all, the newer pads alter the sound of the Ether 2.

Feb 5, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #1,439 of 3,210

Great. They look like what I need for my BIG head and ears. Thanks so much. You are an "ear saver."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back