ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Jan 11, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #1,247 of 3,210
For other mrspeaker’s offerings, it was rare to find a defective unit.
I suspect that due to the extremely light weight of ether 2, it might pose some challenges in manufacturing process.

Maybe. I’m new to Mr. Speakers so I don’t have any past experience with them. The Ether 2 was my first Mr. Speakers purchase.

Jan 11, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #1,248 of 3,210
I just got an update from Mr. Speakers, and they said my pair was defective. They’re sending me out a new pair that should be here next week.

That's very to know, maybe you can take a listen to the Sheffield Drum Record after receiving the new set and see how the drums sound to you!

Jan 12, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #1,249 of 3,210
Well that's great my Ether 2s are arriving in a couple of weeks and I am now completely paranoid that I am going to get a defective pair. Is there a particular test one can do for untrained ears to make sure all is as it should be?

Jan 12, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #1,250 of 3,210
I was looking at the Ether 2 as an update to my Ether Flows but this does really put me off that people have huge audible faults with them from the factory...

I know Dan posted that they knew what the issue was and recalled the bad batch but if that was correct how did @Hifiearspeakers one get through as Dan's post was weeks ago.

Jan 12, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #1,251 of 3,210
I just got an update from Mr. Speakers, and they said my pair was defective. They’re sending me out a new pair that should be here next week.

you said it all along. nice catch.

I just got my set of cans just before New Years. Mine don't sound recessed however I have never owned or even demo'd any other MrSpeakers cans prior.

Might shoot them an email with my serial number just to be sure

Jan 12, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #1,252 of 3,210
Well that's great my Ether 2s are arriving in a couple of weeks and I am now completely paranoid that I am going to get a defective pair. Is there a particular test one can do for untrained ears to make sure all is as it should be?

Dan posted a particular track in an earlier post that would show if they were faulty. But I can’t remember the artist or song. For me it was just obvious when I started listening to the percussion and rhythm section of songs.

Jan 12, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #1,254 of 3,210
wow this Sheffield Drum and Track Record is amazing on E2! thank you.

You're welcome! Its a long standing audio equipment test track I use. Pure nirvana would be to set up a drum kit between two speakers and with your eyes closed cannot tell which is which!!!

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #1,256 of 3,210
You're welcome! Its a long standing audio equipment test track I use. Pure nirvana would be to set up a drum kit between two speakers and with your eyes closed cannot tell which is which!!!

You wouldn't be able to tell if you had a live drum kit or speakers playing that close because you would either need hearing protection or be deaf lol. 130dB peaks are really not a good idea!

Jan 12, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #1,257 of 3,210
I have EFO 1.1 and E2.

I’ve been busy playing with different tubes w/ my new Liquid Platinum, so I haven’t done any careful comparisons, but here’s what I’ve got so far:

Definitely related — brothers, or maybe cousins. I’m sure that if you dislike EFO you won’t like E2.

E2 headstage is amazing — very 3d.

E2 bass seems cleaner, a little more extended (have to check this) and a little more linesr in the mid-bass. Small differences though.

I don’t find either can fatiguing. Keep in mind that I preferred EFO 1.0 with e-stat pads and I like Auteur & Utopia, so the Ethers are far away from what I would call fstiguing.

Okay for those who have been wanting a comparison to EFO, I have been doing a bit of A/B testing between E2, EFO, Auteur, Atticus, LCD2, HD800S, Utopia, Aeon Flow Open, HD650 and some Grados.

First of all, i really like the E2's. I started comparing them to all of these others because they have a very unique sound that I really like. They are not just an upgraded version of the EFO; they have a rather different sound signature and frequency response. I realized that I would need to compare them to a wide number of headphones to gauge their competitive advantages.

Before I begin, I'll offer the standard disclaimer that this is just my opinion and warn that I am just writing about my subjective impressions and preferences; I did not go Tyll and measure and compare to Harmon curve or anything. This is just my two cents.

One thing that I noticed while listening to the E2 was that my focus always remained squarely centered around the vocals, which were more forward than the EFO. They were also more lifelike and clear than on the EFO. Listening to the EFO, on the other hand, I found my mind drifting from vocals to various instruments much more freely. This leads me to believe that perhaps the EFO is more neutral as I was reminded of the way that my attention drifts similarly when I listen to HD600 or 650.

So then I brought out my HD650. The signature of the HD650 seemed to have a "family resemblance" to the E2, at least the frequency response, although E2 has much more focus on vocals (and midrange magic?) Quick aside, I've been blown away by my 650s recently and can't believe how good they sound. I think they beat a good number of +$1,000 headphones. The EFO would be more like the 600 with a flatter frequency response.

The E2 has more bass than EFO and it is very high quality bass. Don't expect rumbling boomy bass like a Fostex or something. This is tight and extremely controlled but balanced bass. Plenty of bass for me. Very, very nice.

The detail, accuracy, and 3D imaging of the E2 also reminded me of the HD800S. When I brought those out, I preferred the E2. The E2 is not bright. abrasive, or peaky. I don't know if I'd say it was dark though. It sounds pretty spot on in terms of tone. Like the HD800S it does a great job handling nuanced electronica sounds (thinking of my comparison while listening to Homogenic). Also, like the HD800S they are very light, although they're not as comfortable. The soundstage is huge. Maybe not as big as HD800S with as "accurate" imaging but the best I've heard on any planar and truly top-class.

I compared them to the ZMF Auteur and Atticus too. I have a real weak spot for ZMF and I just love them. Whatever downsides their headphones may have relative to any other headphone, they make up for with their engaging, fun, warm, and natural sounding sonic profile. The E2 and ZMF headphones are really different animals. Quite different, so I can't really give too many insights but I did feel that the Auteur sounded more lifelike than the E2.

To come back full circle, now that I have and love E2, would I sell my EFO? Certainly, not for the time being despite my preference for the E2. The EFO is like a 600 to the HD800S, at some level. I love the EFO because it seems more neutral and all of the frequencies appear balanced so that my mind wanders from one instrument to another with nothing dominating. With the E2, vocals are really out front and center but I like that as well. E2 have more detail, more separation, bigger more accurate soundstage, and a cleaner, more engaging and fun sound but I still love EFO too. They're quite different sounding and I think that the E2 has more of a family resemblance to the Aeon Flow Open than the EFO and also a kind of similar frequency response to the HD650 maybe.

I came up with a tentative relative ranking of my currently owned headphones as a result of this comparison that I'll list for some context.

Favorite non-electrostatic headphones right now
1) Mrspeakers Ether 2
2) ZMF Auteur
3) Focal Utopia
4) ZMF Atticus
5) MrSpeakers Ether Flow Open
6) MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open
7))HD 800S
8) Grado HP1000
9) Audeze LCD2 with Fazor
10) Grado GS2000E

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #1,260 of 3,210
You wouldn't be able to tell if you had a live drum kit or speakers playing that close because you would either need hearing protection or be deaf lol. 130dB peaks are really not a good idea!

That was figuratively not literally...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back