ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Nov 27, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #931 of 3,209
We seem to have gotten a mixed bag so far when it comes to that comparison. Some have directly related the two as being similar and others have said it is more "ethereal."

Idk what to think about these anymore, it seems like as soon as someone gives one impression the next is pretty much the opposite. I was interested when I was hearing that it was a warmer mr.speakers but then others say it's not warmer and say it has a treble tilt similar to the mr.speakers house sound. :thinking:

I would certainly like to hear them.
That's my experience as well. The higher up you climb this 'audio ladder' the more controversial opinions you get on the same gear. In the end you must try it yourself. I am still hoping however to peel out some sort of a starting point from 3-4 opinions.

Nov 27, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #932 of 3,209
We seem to have gotten a mixed bag so far when it comes to that comparison. Some have directly related the two as being similar and others have said it is more "ethereal."

Idk what to think about these anymore, it seems like as soon as someone gives one impression the next is pretty much the opposite. I was interested when I was hearing that it was a warmer mr.speakers but then others say it's not warmer and say it has a treble tilt similar to the mr.speakers house sound. :thinking:

I would certainly like to hear them.

One explanation for this... It might actually be a close to neutral headphone which reproduces faithfully what is given to it.
Warm DAC? In = Out
Tube distortion? In = Out
Dynamic SS amp with lots of headroom? In = Out

Don't see why it is such a chameleon otherwise :wink: Should scale well with over the top gear

Kelvin

Nov 27, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #933 of 3,209
E2 has exquisite bass. I still have my th900 and LCD 2v2. The lcd's currently have vegan pads, which lose some bass. It does not have the visceral slam of the th900, but it extends down really low and is never bloated. It is by far the best bass out of any headphone I have experienced. You can hear and feel it, but it does this without bleeding into the mids.

Matt's review specifically compares the bass between E2 and the LCD 2 pre fazor, and I have found it to be very accurate.

I think the difference in impressions are due to different sources being used.

Nov 28, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #934 of 3,209
One explanation for this... It might actually be a close to neutral headphone which reproduces faithfully what is given to it.
Warm DAC? In = Out
Tube distortion? In = Out
Dynamic SS amp with lots of headroom? In = Out

Don't see why it is such a chameleon otherwise :wink: Should scale well with over the top gear

Kelvin

I suspect you’re right. My much less expensive MrSpeakers gear definitely is strongly influenced by the upstream equipment (more than my other phones anyway). Also possible some people aren’t using amps appropriate for PMs (though hopefully that’s not typical for buyers of $2K phones). Definitely helpful when people describe the entire musical chain when reporting on the nature of the sound.

Nov 28, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #935 of 3,209
E2 has exquisite bass. I still have my th900 and LCD 2v2. The lcd's currently have vegan pads, which lose some bass. It does not have the visceral slam of the th900, but it extends down really low and is never bloated. It is by far the best bass out of any headphone I have experienced. You can hear and feel it, but it does this without bleeding into the mids.

Matt's review specifically compares the bass between E2 and the LCD 2 pre fazor, and I have found it to be very accurate.

I’d speculate your Mjolnir would be an excellent match for the E2. Solid state high amp output to deliver deep, rich bass, careful circuit design for detail and a little tube magic for flavor.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #937 of 3,209

I agree. The bass is so very good: deep and distinct. It does not bleed into the mids. I am using with the Cavalli Liquid Platinum. The sound is phenomenal.

Nov 28, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #938 of 3,209
I own Ether 2, Ether Flow Closed, Aeon Flow Open, and they present music in a very different way. I am thinking Dan created them having some target sound signature in his mind. Having hard time to decide what to sell or keep.

Nov 29, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #939 of 3,209
I own Ether 2, Ether Flow Closed, Aeon Flow Open, and they present music in a very different way. I am thinking Dan created them having some target sound signature in his mind. Having hard time to decide what to sell or keep.

Surprised to hear the AFO and EFC can hang with the E2. Not so much the AFO hanging with the EFC, but hanging with the E2? The AFO is pretty effing fantastic with a good amp, but the E2 has a much bigger next generation diaphragm and MrSpeakers knows what they’re doing. I’d expect pretty much across the board better.

Nov 29, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #940 of 3,209
Surprised to hear the AFO and EFC can hang with the E2. Not so much the AFO hanging with the EFC, but hanging with the E2? The AFO is pretty effing fantastic with a good amp, but the E2 has a much bigger next generation diaphragm and MrSpeakers knows what they’re doing. I’d expect pretty much across the board better.

E2 sounds technically better than the others. Very fast and detailed. You can follow bass note effortlessly. Tight, potent, and very fast bass (no wooly bass I heard from some HifiMan headphones). I am impressed in that department.
Soundstage is also significantly wider than other two with better 3d imaging capability. To my ears, it is a very open sounding headphone.

Still there is something I like in EFC and AFO, as I have my own idiosyncratic listening preference. EFC and AFO have forward vocals sounding delicious which I like. Vocals on E2 are not forward as much and have a different character.
Also, I have to say ways they present music is considerably different each other (to my ears when I switch them back and forth).

I am still burning my unit with Liquid Platinum which arrived yesterday. E2 seems still improving day after day. Liquid Platinum sounds delicious both with E2 and EFC.

Nov 29, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #941 of 3,209
...I am still burning my unit with Liquid Platinum which arrived yesterday. E2 seems still improving day after day. Liquid Platinum sounds delicious both with...
Wait, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Although I would have entered that sentence with '...delicious with Utopia, Auteur and E2.' Note that I haven't really listened much to LP/HEKv2. Since I got my E2s, they've become ... less interesting.

Nov 29, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #943 of 3,209
Still there is something I like in EFC and AFO, as I have my own idiosyncratic listening preference. EFC and AFO have forward vocals sounding delicious which I like. Vocals on E2 are not forward as much and have a different character.
Also, I have to say ways they present music is considerably different each other (to my ears when I switch them back and forth).

That, imo, is the smart move. Figure out which you like best, not which costs more or is technically better.

Nov 29, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #944 of 3,209
Why you do dis to me?

I do have to say that I love the LP match with my hekv1, you should give it a try!
Well, I will. But there's the whole 'new toy' thing going on right now. Way too much new gear to play with. Plus, now I'm tube rolling. I was actually planning to focus on HEK/LP w/ Gold LIons, once the amp is burned in with stock tubes -- this weekend.

Nov 29, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #945 of 3,209
Well, I will. But there's the whole 'new toy' thing going on right now. Way too much new gear to play with. Plus, now I'm tube rolling. I was actually planning to focus on HEK/LP w/ Gold LIons, once the amp is burned in with stock tubes -- this weekend.
Gold lions are a good current produced tube. I use gold lions in some of my amps, for every day use. I will put my NOS tubes in for a serious listening session.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back