ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Nov 11, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #661 of 3,213
I thought I should also say that deciding to move on from my th900s was a very hard decision, and I tried some mods before I decided to upgrade. I tried the lawton level 2 with pads and mods. I did not like it, and it made me realize what I loved most about the th900. The bass. This made picking my next headphone very difficult because very few headphones that I had previously handled bass well. I would have never considered myself a 'bass head' but I think the th900 and my previous lcd 2.2 had made me appreciate what good bass can sound like even if the th900 was a bit flabby at times.

I decided I should try the Sony z1r. This was a debacle in that I was shipped a Mdr 1a instead, and still to this day never heard them because they were sold out at the time and I could not get a replacement for the same price. So I decided to give the Hd800s a go. Well, I am glad that I did even though I decided not to keep them. This made me realize that I am not a 'bass head' because I was very happy with hd800s bass, and honestly I could have been very happy with these headphones. But since the pair I was shipped had cosmetic damages I decided to give E2 a go since that particular hd800s was going back anyway. Well, the rest is history. For me and my tastes E2 is the better headphone. I didn't have enough time with the hd800s to give a good review, but the difference I noticed is that I just enjoyed music with E2 and was/am constantly thinking of what to play next.

This was the most helpful comparison yet, for me, because I used to own the 800S and it’s one of my favorite headphones of all time. My only issue with it was that I wanted more sub bass and just slightly less treble at 6k. Everything else was perfect.
So now I know we both liked the 800S, we both think the th900 treble was too hot, and even after hearing the 800S, you prefer the Ether 2. That’s high praise and a good endorsement for the Ether 2.
Thanks for that.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #662 of 3,213
Okay, I stop resisting, and made an order. I will have some time to compare ether 2 with afo, efc, and clear. A critical reason I chose ether 2 over other headphones is its light weight. There might be a better sounding headphone out there, but no flagship is under 300g. efc is clearly more comfortable than focal clear, but still it gives me some pressure after wearing it more than one hour. I just want to focus on my work with good music, and don't want to add extra stress coming from the weight of a headphone.

There is one catch, though. Previously, I purchased my afo and efc directly from mrspekaers. This time, I made an order from a third-party vendor. Without reading Tyll's measurement and his review, I am clearly less confident about what I have to expect from ether 2.

I will be looking forward to your review. I think we have a very similar taste in headphones, and I think we hear sound in a similar way as well.

Nov 11, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #665 of 3,213
Okay, I stop resisting, and made an order. I will have some time to compare ether 2 with afo, efc, and clear. A critical reason I chose ether 2 over other headphones is its light weight. There might be a better sounding headphone out there, but no flagship is under 300g. efc is clearly more comfortable than focal clear, but still it gives me some pressure after wearing it more than one hour. I just want to focus on my work with good music, and don't want to add extra stress coming from the weight of a headphone.

There is one catch, though. Previously, I purchased my afo and efc directly from mrspekaers. This time, I made an order from a third-party vendor. Without reading Tyll's measurement and his review, I am clearly less confident about what I have to expect from ether 2.
My ears tell me that I made the right choice. I hope your ears feel the same.

Nov 11, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #667 of 3,213
Headfonia has updated their post on E2 regarding the earpads.

"Correction: After pulling harder I managed to take off the earpads. They are not fully glue on, but have very strong adhesive tape on them. I’m still not a fan of the way this works, something easier should have been possible in my opinion."

Link

Better than glue, but will still be a hassle to swap out. Lets just hope they last for a while, and replacements are easily had.

Nov 11, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #668 of 3,213
Again, everyones likes and dislikes are different. A lot of people love the Utopia. I wouldn't take them for free.
With Utopia as my reference hp I find this comment helpful. Just proves that people like different sound profiles. Totally fine with me. As someone who enjoys the treble rich [read "bright"] profile myself, this sounds promising for the Ether 2. Frankly my audition with the AFC was uninspiring, by comparison, I'm loving the Elegia. Really looking forward to trying the E2 but hoping the detail, speed and dynamism is what I'm looking for.

Nov 12, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #669 of 3,213
We use the same adhesive on the AEON pads, it’s sturdy but detachable for replacement.

Obviously we had reasons to go to this approach, which include lower weight and greater consistency, and a few other helpful things.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 12, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #670 of 3,213
Just got mine a few days back. Loving the sound so far but the new cable is not my favorite for a couple of reasons.

First, the outer sheathing is much larger than the wire on the inside. Makes the cable feel very “poofy”, design or defect?

Second, the splitter part is huge and cable itself is not very friendly to twists. Due to this, it looks like the cable is always awkwardly twisted and the splitter bit does not sit flat against my shirt. Shouldn’t affect sound but drives me crazy from a usage standpoint especially when moving around.

I took the cable from my AFC for now.

Nov 12, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #674 of 3,213
The glue concerns me as I know if anything happened I wouldn't be able to do it myself with having two left hands,I don't believe weight would be an issue, probably far less expensive to make with just a flat surface to glue the pads too it Aeon open sound amazing so I ain't complaining.I need to find a UK in the north of England so I can have a listen to the ether 2

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #675 of 3,213
With Utopia as my reference hp I find this comment helpful. Just proves that people like different sound profiles. Totally fine with me. As someone who enjoys the treble rich [read "bright"] profile myself, this sounds promising for the Ether 2. Frankly my audition with the AFC was uninspiring, by comparison, I'm loving the Elegia. Really looking forward to trying the E2 but hoping the detail, speed and dynamism is what I'm looking for.
Ppl bang on about beyerdynamic being bright but the Dt 1990 is one of the most amazing headphones out there, the focal Utopia is so bright I hate it so I sold it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back