ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Oct 8, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #181 of 3,213
I appreciate the note, thanks.

As a general comment, when people change our settings or systems and we're unaware we can deliver demos that terribly misrepresent our products, which we always demo without EQ, etc. When a system has been in a bad state and we're unaware, we don't know how many people got a flat out horrible demo instead of a nice experience. With the time and expense of a show having systems in an incorrect state can wreck impressions, and sometimes damage our hardware. In one other show, someone destroyed two Hugos by plugging them into an incorrect power source, thinking they were being helpful. We also had EQ done twice to our systems again in ways that messed up demos for unknown numbers of listeners, and since multiple amps are connected to one source on most of our systems a settings change can affect more than one system at a time, making the problem worse.

So as a general note for shows if you need something special or want to apply EQ, try your gear, etc always ask first, I think I can safely say all vendors appreciate that!
I wouldn't let them touch the gear at the show, take a few sets of handcuffs and tell them you listen with your ears not your hands, half these ppl don't even buy the products.Can I also add when it comes to shows do any headphone companies ever try sound proofed booths or some kind of sound deadening so you can hear how good the products are,hi-fi shows perfect for sound cancelling headphones but far from ideal for open back headphones

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #183 of 3,213
Pinging Mr Speakers on this - now that RMAF is over hope to get a reply.

They should be OK from a speaker amp, the only issue is a speaker amp can obviously over-power a headphone if the volume isn't adjusted correctly...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 8, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #185 of 3,213
I wouldn't let them touch the gear at the show, take a few sets of handcuffs and tell them you listen with your ears not your hands, half these ppl don't even buy the products.Can I also add when it comes to shows do any headphone companies ever try sound proofed booths or some kind of sound deadening so you can hear how good the products are,hi-fi shows perfect for sound cancelling headphones but far from ideal for open back headphones

This one came to my mind... Lol
IllinformedOpenBantamrooster-small.gif

Oct 8, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #186 of 3,213
Those are my impressions; I used them out of a couple different systems and had consistent impressions. I talked to a couple other people at the show whose impressions I trust and they agreed so I don’t think I’m alone in these impressions, it’s more likely they just haven’t spoken out against it. I personally actually don’t like posting negative impressions on Head-Fi because it’s usually led to accusations that I’m biased against a certain brand when in actuality, I really don’t care what company a headphone comes from—if a headphone sounds good it sounds good, and if a headphone sounds bad it sounds bad. I think it’s silly to hate a certain brand because they’re a certain brand, it’s more likely there are legitimate reasons to not like a headphone and those characteristics permeate throughout the brand as a house sound.

Fair enough then, I do completely support people commenting negatively on products if they have heard it. What I don't like is how a group of people can schiit all over a product they haven't even heard just because of who made it... Apologies if I came across a bit strong.

Oct 8, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #187 of 3,213
I really like my Aeon Flow Closed so I ordered a pair of these! Excited to get them later this month.

Oct 8, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #188 of 3,213
Will ether 2 be a good match for hugo2 based on previous experience? never owned a mr speakers before. thanks to all mk.

Oct 8, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #189 of 3,213
I'm pleased to say our first lot of drivers is approved and we're moving to full production slightly ahead of schedule. As planned the final impedance is nominally 17 ohms, which will be easier to drive then the 7 ohm production qualifiers we were showing. We're really pleased with the final drivers, they're remarkably consistent which will make matching really easy.

Also, the carrying cases are now black, not burgundy, and look really nice. I have no talent at all with photography, so I'll try to ensure we have some nice photos of the wood box and carrying case later this week.

Thanks to everyone who has ordered so far, this has been our biggest launch to date and we really appreciate your confidence and support!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Oct 8, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #190 of 3,213
Will ether 2 be a good match for hugo2 based on previous experience? never owned a mr speakers before. thanks to all mk.

Yes, the Hugo 2 and Mojo both are designed to support loads down to 8 ohms, so it's really easy for the Hugo 2 to drive these and there's gobs of power. It's a fantastic pairing.

Oct 8, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #191 of 3,213
I use a mscaler with my hugo2. is the ether2 resolving to the fullest extent when playing with blu2/dave 1 million taps?

Oct 8, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #192 of 3,213
I use a mscaler with my hugo2. is the ether2 resolving to the fullest extent when playing with blu2/dave 1 million taps?

I don't know that a question like "to the fullest extent" can ever be answered with full confidence as there is absolutely no way that I know of to measure this. Subjectively this is our most revealing planar, approaching VOCE in resolution, and it's really scalable; I could definitely hear a difference between scaler and non-scaler and with the scaler on it sounds quite analog to my ears.

Oct 8, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #193 of 3,213
excellent results with scaler and ether 2. thankyou. I am trying to get a demo here in the uk. many thanks.

Oct 8, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #194 of 3,213
I really love the Blu and I really look forward to trying out the new Hugo Scaler, the show was just too busy for me to check it out. The Blu delivers such a smooth sound, it is almost weird to listen to digital that is that clean and smooth, in a good way.

Oct 8, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #195 of 3,213
the difficulty with blu is not with speakers but finding a headphone that is capable enough to accurately respond to its transient response and the incredible amount of detail present. even if the ether2 can convey 80 to 90 percent of such qualities it will be a market leader. throw in the weight and comfort too...I tried the ether flow but found it too heavy and the pads too bulky. if the ether2 meets me on comfort I will make the purchase this December fingers crossed. 2K is a big investment for me and it means trading in my oppo pm1. to sum up I hope the ether2 will unlock the magic within my hugo2/mscaler. the oppo pm1 comes close, very close, but not enough to unlock that magic I know is there. many thanks as a newcomer here. mk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back