ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Nov 24, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #2,761 of 3,210
E2's much like HEX v2 sound different depending on position IMO. Too bad so many against EQ, it's needed by both and really improves things.
True, the Ether 2’s EQ very, very well.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #2,762 of 3,210
True, the Ether 2’s EQ very, very well.

If I heard the E2 at the end of a top notch chain, EQ'd properly 3 years ago I would have named it a top 2 or 3 can. It doesn't get enough respect mostly because of the treble. I know for me its treble is way better for acoustic music than over the top stuff from Beyer, AKG, Grado, or even HFM HEK v1 or Ananda. Along with the E2, Dan Clark's Voce proves he's got a real ear for properly recorded music in good venues.

Nov 30, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #2,763 of 3,210
I'm late to the party, I know. Just bought the E2's. I have had the original Ethers for 5(?) years now, really since they first came out. I have an issue with the comfort of the Ether 2 headphones. I have a large head, big ears, low on the head (don't try to visualise it ;-p ). The head band is always touching the nitinol things. It hurts my head. I try to push the head band down but that doesn't help for long and it brings my ears in a uncomfortable crunch inside the ear pads. The original Ether's do not have this problem in my case. There are blockers on the nitinol straps and the head band is a non-perforated and thicker one.

What advise do you have? I tried to find it in this thread, but could not find anything beside completely destroying in the nitinol bands.

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #2,764 of 3,210
I'm late to the party, I know. Just bought the E2's. I have had the original Ethers for 5(?) years now, really since they first came out. I have an issue with the comfort of the Ether 2 headphones. I have a large head, big ears, low on the head (don't try to visualise it ;-p ). The head band is always touching the nitinol things. It hurts my head. I try to push the head band down but that doesn't help for long and it brings my ears in a uncomfortable crunch inside the ear pads. The original Ether's do not have this problem in my case. There are blockers on the nitinol straps and the head band is a non-perforated and thicker one.

What advise do you have? I tried to find it in this thread, but could not find anything beside completely destroying in the nitinol bands.
Have you tried the other pads? They have bigger ear holes than the stock pads and I found them to alleviate any comfort issues. I think the stock pads probably sound the best, but they are definitely not the most comfortable of the three available ones. I highly recommend the suede/fabric ones for comfort.

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #2,765 of 3,210
Have you tried the other pads? They have bigger ear holes than the stock pads and I found them to alleviate any comfort issues. I think the stock pads probably sound the best, but they are definitely not the most comfortable of the three available ones. I highly recommend the suede/fabric ones for comfort.

Thanks. It is still possible for me to return them so I’ld rather try some other solutions first, if any. I did notice that the pads are not as wide and nice as the ones on the Ether Original. They seem to stay cooler.

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #2,766 of 3,210
Thanks. It is still possible for me to return them so I’ld rather try some other solutions first, if any. I did notice that the pads are not as wide and nice as the ones on the Ether Original. They seem to stay cooler.

Contact info@danclarkaudio.com and explain the fit issue. Sometimes people with large heads benefit from using a different strap from one of the other headphones. If you have wire contact we may be able to assist.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 2, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #2,768 of 3,210
@mrspeakers Thanks. I sent an email and got a reply from Susan. I think you misunderstood me. I will send her some pictures. My head has contact with the wires.

Hi! We understood. We think we have a solution, we'll email you.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 12, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #2,771 of 3,210
Got my set of perforated earpads last night and mounted them this morning. There's no denying the comfort and sound of the suede pads, which I really like. After a short listening session to the Ether 2's with the perforated pads all I can say is this is the sound signature for me. The sound is much more lively and detailed than with suede pads. The perforated pads go a long way to let some of those missing treble frequencies through, which was my biggest gripe with the Ether 2's. Not anymore, the Ether 2's sound absolutely sublime with the perforated pads.

Dec 14, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #2,772 of 3,210
Got my set of perforated earpads last night and mounted them this morning. There's no denying the comfort and sound of the suede pads, which I really like. After a short listening session to the Ether 2's with the perforated pads all I can say is this is the sound signature for me. The sound is much more lively and detailed than with suede pads. The perforated pads go a long way to let some of those missing treble frequencies through, which was my biggest gripe with the Ether 2's. Not anymore, the Ether 2's sound absolutely sublime with the perforated pads.
Any changes to lower frequencies (other than relative to increased treble)?

Thanks!

Dec 14, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #2,773 of 3,210

Thanks!

The perforated pads increase the relative high and low frequencies so you should also get a little more "bump" from the tonal balance.

Dec 14, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #2,774 of 3,210

Thanks!
Yes, the bass sounds “bigger” as in it has a little more presence. It’s also tighter with a nice thump to it. The overall sound seems more balanced and open now. The Ether 2’s don’t seem to sound restricted. The midrange also benefits because its sounds cleaner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back