ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Mar 20, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #2,536 of 3,209
Just got the Ether-2 in house. Initial impressions are most positive. Currently auditioning with an Oppo Sonica DAC feeding Mjolnir Pure Bipolar amp. The source is an Sony X-1100ES with DSEE-HX enabled. Listening to the new James Hunter Six CD (Nick of Time), the sound is open, detailed, and excellent clarity. Although it's a mono recording, it comes across as a wide mono sound stage.

I'll spend the next couple of days with various music genres, and see how it goes. Will be comparing this to my current reference headphones (Abyss Diana) to see how they match up.

Mar 21, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #2,537 of 3,209
After conducting additional listening, I can report that the Ether 2 is an excellent product. The build quality is first rate, and is ideally suited for extended listening sessions. The light weight is highly appreciated.

The Ether-2 headphones sound is well suited for rock and blues music. The bass is deep, tight, and tuneful. The headphones seem to exhibit a slightly warm, with just a bit of an uptick in the presence region. Sound stage is fairly wide and instruments are well placed, with some level of 3D effect. Treble is extended, but only overly emphasized . Overall, the tonal balance is well suited for these genres of music.

Symphonic music also sounds very good, also warm, but strings seem to slightly lack the last bit of presence. I found the overall tonal balance with symphonic music good overall, and IMHO, the Ether 2 is better balanced than the Audeze LCD-3 for symphonic music , which sound slightly dull by comparison. Having said that, when compared to the Abyss Diana, the Ether 2, while sounding very good, did not have quite the tonal balance that allows strings, horns, and piano to sound as natural as with the Diana. The deltas are not much, but they are noticeable with better electronics.

Need to listen to some jazz music as well. Will post impressions in a day or two. So far, very impressed with the Ether 2 cans.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #2,538 of 3,209
After conducting additional listening, I can report that the Ether 2 is an excellent product. The build quality is first rate, and is ideally suited for extended listening sessions. The light weight is highly appreciated.

The Ether-2 headphones sound is well suited for rock and blues music. The bass is deep, tight, and tuneful. The headphones seem to exhibit a slightly warm, with just a bit of an uptick in the presence region. Sound stage is fairly wide and instruments are well placed, with some level of 3D effect. Treble is extended, but only overly emphasized . Overall, the tonal balance is well suited for these genres of music.

Symphonic music also sounds very good, also warm, but strings seem to slightly lack the last bit of presence. I found the overall tonal balance with symphonic music good overall, and IMHO, the Ether 2 is better balanced than the Audeze LCD-3 for symphonic music , which sound slightly dull by comparison. Having said that, when compared to the Abyss Diana, the Ether 2, while sounding very good, did not have quite the tonal balance that allows strings, horns, and piano to sound as natural as with the Diana. The deltas are not much, but they are noticeable with better electronics.

Need to listen to some jazz music as well. Will post impressions in a day or two. So far, very impressed with the Ether 2 cans.

I agree except for the
Treble is extended, but only overly emphasized .
line. Is that a typo?

Mar 22, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #2,539 of 3,209
Not meant to be. The observation regarding treble was that while I found it more pronounced than say an Audeze LCD, it was not overly prominent like the treble from an Focal Elear, which I find a bit overemphasized.

Mar 22, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #2,540 of 3,209
Not meant to be. The observation regarding treble was that while I found it more pronounced than say an Audeze LCD, it was not overly prominent like the treble from an Focal Elear, which I find a bit overemphasized.

Thanks for the nice review! A thought on strings for you, if you want a little livelier top end with strings consider the perforated pads. Opens the soundstage a bit further, too...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 22, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #2,541 of 3,209
Thanks for the nice review! A thought on strings for you, if you want a little livelier top end with strings consider the perforated pads. Opens the soundstage a bit further, too...

No worries, and thanks for the feedback. I'll likely get a pair of the perforated pads.

Did some more listening today with mostly jazz music. The more I listen to the Ether 2 cans, the more I'm liking what I'm hearing. They do many things correctly. I did notice many of the same tonal issues with jazz as I noticed with symphonic music. There is great dynamic extension with recordings, with excellent low level detail retrieval.

Comparing the bass between the Diana and the Ether 2, the Diana bass register sounds/feels like it goes a bit deeper, while there is more mid-bass energy with the Ether-2. The stand up bass with the Ether 2 sounds great. Both are excellent, and it's a matter of personal taste which one is more suited to your taste.

The mid range on both headphones is stellar. There are some differences with the mid range that are noticeable. The Ether 2 has excellent dynamics is this area, while the Diana has the edge in acoustic instrument and vocal timbres. The Ether 2 really comes alive with well recorded rock and blues music. The new Joe Bonamassa "Redemption" CD is an excellent example of this, especially with the live CD. Listening to Chris Botti Italia CD, the difference in timbre is demonstrated with the Andre Bocelli track. While the Ether 2 sounds very good, the Diana really shines, especially with the vocal and trumpet playback.

The treble on both headphones is also stellar. There is a difference noted with playback in that the Ether 2 has a bit more energy in the lower treble, while the Diana has a bit more energy in the upper audible treble registers.

In summary, very impressed with the Ether 2. It will get a fair bit of use in my system. Perhaps the perforated pads will further improve what is already an superior sounding set of headphones. Well done. Highly recommended for audition.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #2,543 of 3,209
I just received my Ether 2. Sound is excellent although I find the bass a little lacking. Which Pad works best for more Bass?

Perforated gives a bit more of a harmon-style response. That will bump bass a bit, but before you try a new pad, be sure your phones are well sealed. Glass, thick curly hair, etc can interfere with the seal. There are easy workarounds, PM me if those apply. To check the seal wear the headphone an rub your fingertips together, circling the headphone and keeping the fingertips as close to the skull as possible. Because the headphone is open you can hear if your fingertips are too close to the open surface. If you can hear your fingertips you may have a seal issue, PM me for help.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 29, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #2,544 of 3,209
Need help. Purchased the Hiby R5 with Sony balanced ced cans. Wow it's powerful. I want to convert my audio technica ath- mx50 to balanced. I see cables for sale with 4.4 connector on one end with a pair of 2.5 or 3.5 connectors on the other. I can see thru the cables and it's seems there are 2 wires for each channel. Hence a balanced cable. Looks easy, am I missing something?

Apr 5, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #2,549 of 3,209
fedex just dropped off a box containing my new DanClark HP's :) but its quarantined for a few days :frowning2: stupid COVID-19.

@Ripper2860 no, I won't be reducing the quarantine time...plenty of spring-cleanup-yard-work... aargh.
Wait, you’re on the west coast, and they’re quarantining a package from San Diego? Or do DC headphones come from somewhere else?

The crazy thing is — if the package might be contaminated, good job protecting the recipient, but what about all the people who handled it in transit?

Or is the idea that it might have been contaminated in transit?

Not sure I understand the risk we’re trying to mitigate here. I guess scientists don’t really know yet.

Apr 5, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #2,550 of 3,209
fedex just dropped off a box containing my new HP's :) but its quarantined for a few days :frowning2: stupid COVID-19 and asymptomatic transfer.

@Ripper2860 no, I won't be reducing the quarantine time...plenty of spring-cleanup-yard-work... aargh.
Can you spray the box down with Lysol?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back