ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Jan 8, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #2,492 of 3,213
Another award for ETHER 2! This from The Absolute Sound...

TAS 303 EDS CHOICE LOGO V2.jpg

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 21, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #2,493 of 3,213
How would you describe the mids on the Ether 2? I'm a fan of forward mids like the Atticus, 650, Elegia, etc. Currently the Elegia is my favorite can due to their forward mids and great smooth treble but their bass quantity leaves something to be desired. Any thoughts?

Jan 21, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #2,494 of 3,213
How would you describe the mids on the Ether 2? I'm a fan of forward mids like the Atticus, 650, Elegia, etc. Currently the Elegia is my favorite can due to their forward mids and great smooth treble but their bass quantity leaves something to be desired. Any thoughts?

The standard tone has a full, warm midrange. For those who like a more "audiophile" delivery the perforated pads serve really well, but if you're looking for a smooth tone with warmth and smooth treble, I'd suggest the suede pads. You can realize 3 different voicings with the headphone to suite content or taste by swapping the pads.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jan 21, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #2,495 of 3,213
The standard tone has a full, warm midrange. For those who like a more "audiophile" delivery the perforated pads serve really well, but if you're looking for a smooth tone with warmth and smooth treble, I'd suggest the suede pads. You can realize 3 different voicings with the headphone to suite content or taste by swapping the pads.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the following up - are these the pads you're referring to? https://danclarkaudio.com/shop/suede-ether-2-ear-pad.html - Little confused because the description lists them as synthetic leather?

Jan 21, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #2,496 of 3,213
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the following up - are these the pads you're referring to? https://danclarkaudio.com/shop/suede-ether-2-ear-pad.html - Little confused because the description lists them as synthetic leather?

This is the suede pad...
https://danclarkaudio.com/shop/accessories/ear-pads/suede-ether-2-ear-pad-392.html

All E2 pads are synthetic, we found the level of synthetic we're using is just as comfortable, last as long, but it allows us to make much more uniform and consistent pads.

Jan 21, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #2,497 of 3,213
Impedance mismatch does reduce the power delivered to the load. In this case, if the minimum target impedance is 32 ohms so at 14 ohms you're well below the optimal power transfer, I'd expect you'd loose at least 5 dB, maybe more. Generally with output transformers, unless the amp is VERY powerful you should pick an amp that has outputs matched to your headphone.

Once in a while a solid state amp will also have issues, usually when the outpute impedance is high. For some reason, once in a while someone will produce an amp with a 10 ohm, or I've seen as high as 150 ohm, output, these are just a bad match. Fortunately they are far and few between.

Hi Dan, I have a question relating to the impedance mismatch described above. On a hybrid headphone amp such as the old Musical Fidelity X-Can v3 (not able to find any information on output impedance) would this mismatch also occur, or is this issue strictly on 100% tube amps?

Thank you in advance.

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #2,498 of 3,213
Hi Dan, I have a question relating to the impedance mismatch described above. On a hybrid headphone amp such as the old Musical Fidelity X-Can v3 (not able to find any information on output impedance) would this mismatch also occur, or is this issue strictly on 100% tube amps?

Thank you in advance.

Hybrid amps have solid state outputs that have low output impedance like totally solid state designs therefore this is not an issue with MOST designs. The exception is the odd amplifier with high output impedance, something most new amps don't suffer from. Most new amps are typically below 1ohm, while some older amps had outputs of >100ohms. If the amp's output impedance is too high then power is just being wasted in the amp's output stage and not making it to the headphone, but if the output is <2ohms, most power gets to the headphone.

I had one "high end" amp show up a few years back and it could barely make the headphones squeak before clipping. I looked up the specs and the output was 150ohms! Turns out there is some old IEC standard for headphone amps that specified 150ohms as a "standard," which maybe made sense when 300 ohm headphones were more typical...

So in short, the amps you have to be most concerned with are tube amps that have output transformers. If they do, you'd ideally want a 32 ohm or lower headphone output, or perhaps to run directly off the speaker outputs which will usually be 8 ohms.

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #2,499 of 3,213
Hybrid amps have solid state outputs that have low output impedance like totally solid state designs therefore this is not an issue with MOST designs. The exception is the odd amplifier with high output impedance, something most new amps don't suffer from. Most new amps are typically below 1ohm, while some older amps had outputs of >100ohms. If the amp's output impedance is too high then power is just being wasted in the amp's output stage and not making it to the headphone, but if the output is <2ohms, most power gets to the headphone.

I had one "high end" amp show up a few years back and it could barely make the headphones squeak before clipping. I looked up the specs and the output was 150ohms! Turns out there is some old IEC standard for headphone amps that specified 150ohms as a "standard," which maybe made sense when 300 ohm headphones were more typical...

So in short, the amps you have to be most concerned with are tube amps that have output transformers. If they do, you'd ideally want a 32 ohm or lower headphone output, or perhaps to run directly off the speaker outputs which will usually be 8 ohms.

Thank you very much !

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #2,500 of 3,213
Hi Dan,
Really enjoying the Either 2's w/ a Schiit Lyr 3. I'd like to try balanced. In your opinion what balanced amps amps pair well. I'd like to keep it $1k or less.
Thanks
Richard

Jan 21, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #2,501 of 3,213
Hi Dan,
Really enjoying the Either 2's w/ a Schiit Lyr 3. I'd like to try balanced. In your opinion what balanced amps amps pair well. I'd like to keep it $1k or less.
Thanks
Richard

I always caution people that balanced isn't inherently better than single-ended. None of my favorite desktop amps happens to be balanced, for example. Think of it this way: a balanced amp is optimized to be balanced. Some balanced topologies allow you to also get single-ended "for free" which people like, but in these cases most balanced outputs will sound better than the single because balanced was intended to be the primary output.

I do like the monolith balanced amp Cavalli designed for Monoprice, as well as the Liquid Carbon. Another great affordable amp is the GIlmore LIte Mk 2, which is single ended. Both are easily within your budget. There are other choices, owners should chime in...

Jan 22, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #2,502 of 3,213
My votes go to Schiit Mjolnir 2 (for tubeyness) and Gilmore Lite Mk2 (SS, but delightfully smooth) ... I do prefer balanced on the MJ2 but the SE output on the GL2 is really rather good. Bears out what Dan says.

Jan 22, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #2,503 of 3,213
Really happy with the Gilmore i thought i needed more even though its detailed and low noise floor. I changed my source to linux Euphony on a £100 NUC and all those extra details keep on coming through. I have the Chord Quest, giving lovely detail with no harshness in this combo. Was glad i followed Dans recommendation on the MK2... changing my source shows there is always mileage in well made products when you think upgraditus is calling... my old Ethers sound fantastic, the E2 just wonderful...
All with the A1 DCA service... shout out to Sue, a really nice lady at DCA.

But as always if you can at least try and audition at home, a store or a meet. Never perfect but puts you in the ball park in choosing in your budget...

Dave

Jan 25, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #2,504 of 3,213
Just a general opinion as I've seen different views.
What the run in time for the drivers?
I am in about 36 hours and they started opening up about the 20 mark more sparkle and definition .
Is it really 200+ before they settle?

Thanks for your thoughts
Dave

Jan 25, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #2,505 of 3,213
Just a general opinion as I've seen different views.
What the run in time for the drivers?
I am in about 36 hours and they started opening up about the 20 mark more sparkle and definition .
Is it really 200+ before they settle?

Thanks for your thoughts
Dave

burn in is usually asymptotic so by 100 hours it’s probably 80% or more...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back