ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Mar 30, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #1,741 of 3,210
I am extremely sensitive to any amount of treble harshness. The RME ADI-2 DAC -> SPL Phonitor X combo is super neutral, and the amp is solid state so it interacts with the headphones differently than a tube would.

Even with my extreme sensitivity, it's not noticeable in most songs at all. One good example is Daft Punk - Doin' it Right. With each hit of the snare--particular as the song gets a little less busy in some of the middle parts--I can hear a slight glare. It's a tiny amount of semi-hard brightness makes it mildly unpleasant.

Again, I'm tremendously sensitive to treble. I can't handle much more treble than a modded Sennheiser HD650. My primary IEMs are Future Sonics MG5HX, which are notably tilted a bit dark.

The Audeze LCD 3 are also known for being fairly dark and are somewhat comparable to the Ether 2. I also found those to have a little bit of a swooshy crunch on the same track with the same setup, while something like the ZMF Aeolus does not.

I'm glad I'm not going crazy or my ears not going bad. This is totally different from Dan earlier works

Mar 30, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #1,742 of 3,210
I'm glad I'm not going crazy or my ears not going bad. This is totally different from Dan earlier works

Aeon Flow Open is easily darker/warmer than the E2.

Mar 31, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #1,746 of 3,210
Having trouble going to sleep, too much great basketball. So I found an anniversary album, “Zappa in New York,” the song Black Napkins is blowing my mind on the H2>WA5>E2 rig, this could be a long night.

Mar 31, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #1,747 of 3,210
Having trouble going to sleep, too much great basketball. So I found an anniversary album, “Zappa in New York,” the song Black Napkins is blowing my mind on the H2>WA5>E2 rig, this could be a long night.

Lol I'm A/B my Sennheiser HD820 and E2

Por Una Cabezza - KATICA ILLÉNYI

I was really hoping Mrspeaker would create the same sound sig of HD820 before sennheiser comes out with this headset, perhaps Ether C 2 or E2 would be it. The moment I listen to HD820, I knew my Ether C is in trouble of sitting on the shelf, it just so complete. Those Germans finally really master the HD800's line.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #1,748 of 3,210
I spent a couple hours at TSAV today and compared the Ether 2 to all of the main competition. The E2s were for sure my favorite.

The two things that stopped me from buying them immediately:
1) The interior height of the earpads is about 2mm shy of my preference. I think @mrspeakers has new pads coming in the next month or two that are slightly taller inside, so that would solve my problem there.
2) There's just a little bit of sibilance in the upper registers from the setup I used (RME ADI-2 DAC -> SPL Phonitor X). This could either be solved by the pads or a tube amp.

I'm probably going to head back up to The Source AV in the next couple of weeks with a tube amp (Cavalli Liquid Platinum or Garage1217 Project Sunrise III--maybe both) to hear it from those.

I found that I'd only here some semblance of harshness if I turned my volume higher than my casual listening level.

Mar 31, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #1,750 of 3,210
I found that I'd only here some semblance of harshness if I turned my volume higher than my casual listening level.

The only time I get any harshness, and even then it’s pretty minor, is on “cd” quality msc, playing loud, is in the upper midrange with Brass. An example is Frank, “In NewYork,” on Black Napkins.”

Mar 31, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #1,751 of 3,210
I just listened to the entire In Rainbows album by Radiohead. I heard notes and instruments that I didn’t know about before..

This headphone is VERY accurate.
I’m also really happy that there is no sibilance at all in vocals. Very well done Dan.

Mar 31, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #1,752 of 3,210
I just listened to the entire In Rainbows album by Radiohead. I heard notes and instruments that I didn’t know about before..

This headphone is VERY accurate.
I’m also really happy that there is no sibilance at all in vocals. Very well done Dan.

I’ll give Radiohead a spin, thanks for the recommendation!

Apr 1, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #1,755 of 3,210
For those who want a slightly brighter tone to the headphone the perforated pads will do the trick, for those who want a more "velvety" sound the suede. The suede rocks electronica, too.

We're about 4 weeks from delivery on the new pads. We'll post pricing this week for anyone wanting to pre-order.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back