ES-R10 closed back dynamic headphone Sony R10 Replica Discussion/Impressions
Oct 9, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #1,546 of 1,571
Pleasantly surprised to see these back for sale.

Seems like the return of these has flown under the radar; any word on whether there's any changes from the original run?

Oct 10, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #1,548 of 1,571
Confirmed

Dear all,

Earlier this year we have received your back-in-stock request of the ES-R10 headphone. The email is to notify you that the last batch of the ES-R10 is available now and ready for purchase on our website. Earlier orders will be shipped first.

We have around 20 in-stock units and sales will be bundled with replacement foam+earpad set for future maintenance. On this batch, the allocation of the serial no. of the units will not be in chronological order to the purchase date.

Every ES-R10 order could enjoy a 1-year warranty. Returns are only accepted for functionality issues.

Feel free to reply here for inquiry.

Best regards,
ES Lab

Oct 10, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #1,550 of 1,571
Anyone have the latest Hifiman HE-1000 Stealth to share with us how it sounds compared to the mighty ES-R10?

I have both. Moreover, they are both the top-dogs in my current collection. The ES-R10 is already the most airy, open, uncongested closed-back I have ever experienced. I cannot say that the HEK Stealth goes much further in this direction, but I'd be a fool to say that it didn't as it's a huge, open planar with a lot of room for your ears to sit in. They both sound BIG. Detail-wise, the HEK probably has a little bit of an edge, but I'd only truly recognize that in a quick A/B. The ES-R10 is definitely a more romantic sound, with its rich, utterly gorgeous mids... It's probably my all-time favorite headphone. The HEK is very close to this mark, too, and I wouldn't want to be without either. They spoil me. 😀

Oct 10, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #1,551 of 1,571
I have both. Moreover, they are both the top-dogs in my current collection. The ES-R10 is already the most airy, open, uncongested closed-back I have ever experienced. I cannot say that the HEK Stealth goes much further in this direction, but I'd be a fool to say that it didn't as it's a huge, open planar with a lot of room for your ears to sit in. They both sound BIG. Detail-wise, the HEK probably has a little bit of an edge, but I'd only truly recognize that in a quick A/B. The ES-R10 is definitely a more romantic sound, with its rich, utterly gorgeous mids... It's probably my all-time favorite headphone. The HEK is very close to this mark, too, and I wouldn't want to be without either. They spoil me. 😀
This is an excellent response.
I agree, that the ES-R10 is the best non-closed-sounding closed-back I have tried to date.
It's the ONLY closed-back that I can recommend and not feel like garbage for doing so.

The mids are very rich on the ES-R10. Stupid good headphones for the money.

The only downside I can hear, for some people, is a rolled deep sub-bass, but the mids are worth the trade.
I'm speaking as a bit of a bass head.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #1,552 of 1,571
I agree, that the ES-R10 is the best non-closed-sounding closed-back I have tried to date.
It's the ONLY closed-back that I can recommend and not feel like garbage for doing so.

Agreed on all counts. I don't think I've ever been more proud of myself than when I jumped at buying a pair, with the extremely limited number of models produced. I really hope ES is able to make more in the future -- more people need to hear it!

Oct 10, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #1,553 of 1,571
The ES R-10 isn't really a closed back. It is more of a semi closed back. The internal foams allow a lot of air to pass, it goes out the sides, so it isn't a typical closed back as more of a semi-closed back, which is the same as the Sony R-10.

Oct 10, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #1,554 of 1,571
The ES R-10 isn't really a closed back. It is more of a semi closed back. The internal foams allow a lot of air to pass, it goes out the sides, so it isn't a typical closed back as more of a semi-closed back, which is the same as the Sony R-10.

That said, it isolates better than some true closed-backs I've owned over the years. :)

Oct 10, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #1,555 of 1,571

The only downside I can hear, for some people, is a rolled deep sub-bass, but the mids are worth the trade.
I'm speaking as a bit of a bass head.
Let them warm up. They really need burn-in to improve low end. More than 100h I suppose.

My first pair was borrowed and almost new. So I was playing them almost 24/7 (with breaks in silence, which is rather important) at standard volume. Listening in the meantime.
I was surprised when the low end changed significantly without rolling too early. They started to be a real all-rounder including rock and bass heavy genres. In fact I was listening today loudly 'We will rock you' and all the massive energy there was very impressive with ESR10.

Of course there are more bassy phones but usually I don't feel desire for more with ESR10. Sometimes I like to switch to Nighthawk for its sound pressure and dense character.

Oct 11, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #1,556 of 1,571
As a long-time fan of the Sony R10's, my audition of the ES-R10 at CanJam earlier this year was disappointing. I just didn't hear the magic of the original R10's (from memory). I don't know how well run-in the sample I heard was, but given it was a vendor's table, I presume it had some head-time on it by the time I listened through it.

My CanJam audition was out of a (well-regarded) solid-state headphone amplifier, though. My fondest memories of the original R10's were out of tube amps. I wonder if the ES-R10's might be better suited to a good tube amplifier, or at least a higher-impedance HF output?

What amps are y'all finding good synergies with the ES-R10's?

Oct 11, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #1,557 of 1,571
I prefer tubes. Yamamoto HA02 with Sylvania Gold Brand. It was designed for ATH woodies, which were inspired by R10..

Very energetic, live and emotional sound. Not overly smooth or relaxed.
Totally engaging with R10

Oct 11, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #1,558 of 1,571
They sound capable out of a near zero output impedance SS amp but like you said definitely no magic. If it was the Headamp table did you listen out of the GSX mini? I don't know what it's output impedance is. I use the ECP DSHA-3F with it's 5ohm output impedance and they are magical and vibrant concurrently, which are two categories of headphone sound that I consider largely at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Jan 27, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #1,559 of 1,571
For the owner of the ES-R10, will you take this headphone to work in a cafe or traveling on bus/train? Or does it need the quiet-ness in the environment to shine?
By looking at its size it feel like the headphone is too big to go into a backpack?

My current go to closed back is the XTC Closed by JM audio which is an amazing handmade headphone with customised tuned to warmth detailed, and I am eyeing for either ES-R10 or the XTC 2.5 which looks a bit like R10 and have bigger soundstage and better everything...!

Thank you!

Jan 27, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #1,560 of 1,571
Don’t u think the ES-R10 slightly large and odd looking to be worn in the office? I go with a more discrete looking and nearly equally good sounding (side step) Denon D9200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back