ES-R10 closed back dynamic headphone Sony R10 Replica Discussion/Impressions
Aug 7, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #1,516 of 1,571
What is this filter? I am not sure I understand what it is. A set EQ or something different? I went to the site but that doesn't clarify it for me, regarding what is actually done.

In practice, it is very much like EQ, but more powerful. It is called an audio convolution filter (they are also sometimes called finite impulse response filters or FIR filters), if you want to look it up. This covers the basics nicely: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Convolution

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #1,517 of 1,571
Aug 7, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #1,519 of 1,571
If you have Roon as your music player, Bob's your uncle. But, otherwise yeah, you'd need support for it in whatever you're using - or a separate app.
I see. Well I don't use any apps right now. Just the SD card for the music and then to line out or headphone out.

Sep 28, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #1,520 of 1,571
I'll certainly report back what I find putting the convolution filter into Roon, but I'm also probably not the most unbiased before/after subject.

I freely confess that the upper mid/lower treble peaks of the ES-R10 made them unlistenable for me, so their journey to Mitch was almost purely selfish in nature. I wanted some sweet closed back nightstand headphones that weren't a timbral mess, and I saw the promise those drivers had.
If you aren't entirely averse to physically tuning the headphones, try tightening the screws under the pads.

Oct 2, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #1,521 of 1,571
Don't share this on summit-fi, people will cry like babies if they found out a 40 year old technology is better than 2023 headphones.

😆 🤣

Reminds me of my personal revelation re-discovering older CD player DACs that came out when I was just a small child, particularly those with the tda1541 chip. It may not squeeze out all those last micro details but I fed my Orchid dac into a restored 1960s Fisher 500c tube amp and plugged in my ES-R10 last night and it’s probably one of the most life-like realistic music experiences, Just liquid, rich articulate sound with no fatigue, it pummels through even through the harshest of recordings. My LCD-5 sounds just sterile in comparison frankly. A totl modern headphone does wonders with properly recorded music and matching synergistic equipment but it feels more like a chore to set up a good listening experience vs the R10 being a well rounded phone that worked with everything I threw at it, rap, country, classical, rock, it really strikes a balance everywhere that none of my other HPs can do that all sacrifice something heavily in favor of another.

Oct 3, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #1,522 of 1,571
Quad ESL 57 and the Stax DMA-X2 amp are fine example of stuff that over 40-50 years that you'll be hard press to find a true successors.

Oct 3, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #1,523 of 1,571
Reminds me of my personal revelation re-discovering older CD player DACs that came out when I was just a small child, particularly those with the tda1541 chip. It may not squeeze out all those last micro details but I fed my Orchid dac into a restored 1960s Fisher 500c tube amp and plugged in my ES-R10 last night and it’s probably one of the most life-like realistic music experiences, Just liquid, rich articulate sound with no fatigue, it pummels through even through the harshest of recordings. My LCD-5 sounds just sterile in comparison frankly. A totl modern headphone does wonders with properly recorded music and matching synergistic equipment but it feels more like a chore to set up a good listening experience vs the R10 being a well rounded phone that worked with everything I threw at it, rap, country, classical, rock, it really strikes a balance everywhere that none of my other HPs can do that all sacrifice something heavily in favor of another.
I have an almost aggressive dislike of digital sources, especially "high tech" ones (like that awful RME ADI-2 Pro). Some of my more pleasant digital experiences have been thanks to vintage CD spinners. If I didn't already have all the music I need on vinyl and tape, I'd have to track down some of that old digital gear and figure out how best to pipe the bits in.

Oct 3, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #1,524 of 1,571
I'll certainly report back what I find putting the convolution filter into Roon, but I'm also probably not the most unbiased before/after subject.

I freely confess that the upper mid/lower treble peaks of the ES-R10 made them unlistenable for me, so their journey to Mitch was almost purely selfish in nature. I wanted some sweet closed back nightstand headphones that weren't a timbral mess, and I saw the promise those drivers had.
It's strange that you have treble peaks with ES-R10. I am rather extremely sensitive to high frequencies and sybilants (confirmed also by a hearing test). For me ESR10 are very smooth without any fatigue, especially taking into account their resolution, detail and soundstage capabilities. But they are not completely forgiving to source material and equipment. With resolving and transparent cables (including interconnects) they are also very resolving, showing what's not ideal with recording or audio gear precisely, but without this microscopic tendency that some modern headphones have. ESR10 are not so much about every single detail and flaw but more about what is surrounding and connecting them.

Do you have the same peaks with different sets of equipment?

Oct 3, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #1,525 of 1,571
Recently I discovered old JBL speakers L100T GI. They are around 40 years old. As far as I know just woofer suspension was replaced.

I was very surprised how good they sound. With vinyl and tube amp they are amazing.. This is rather uncommon mix of very natural midrange with mesmerising vocals along with great dynamics, full of energy and deep, controlled but powerful bass (when needed). Good old recordings are so engaging with them. Plenty of life, colours, energy..

And I am not a vintage enthusiast. I just look for a satisfying, engaging sound.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #1,526 of 1,571
It's strange that you have treble peaks with ES-R10. I am rather extremely sensitive to high frequencies and sybilants (confirmed also by a hearing test). For me ESR10 are very smooth without any fatigue, especially taking into account their resolution, detail and soundstage capabilities. But they are not completely forgiving to source material and equipment. With resolving and transparent cables (including interconnects) they are also very resolving, showing what's not ideal with recording or audio gear precisely, but without this microscopic tendency that some modern headphones have. ESR10 are not so much about every single detail and flaw but more about what is surrounding and connecting them.
Same - I found ESR10 to be among the very least fatiguing dynamic headphones I've ever heard. Right up there with well-amped Stax.

This is rather uncommon mix of very natural midrange with mesmerising vocals along with great dynamics, full of energy and deep, controlled but powerful bass (when needed). Good old recordings are so engaging with them. Plenty of life, colours, energy..

And I am not a vintage enthusiast. I just look for a satisfying, engaging sound.
I sort of know what you mean here and it all starts with a sweet, organic, vivid midrange. Plenty of vintage gear is great at this. The Japanese manufacturers also seem to very much respect this. Unfortunately, plenty of high-priced high resolution gear is devoid of this quality. If the midrange is dry there is 0 chance it's going to engage me musically.

Oct 3, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #1,527 of 1,571

Do you have the same peaks with different sets of equipment?
Yeah, I don't know. I wonder if I'm just a bit sensitive in the upper registers? I've got some pretty big ears that probably add a bit of gain in that area.

90% of Grados are also a no go for me for the same reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back