Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Jan 31, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #8,626 of 9,892
To my surprise, the two pairs actually have different internals (one with GEC stickers on the left, and the one without in the middle). The MWT tube far right has the same internals as the pair with the GEC stickers but in a slightly larger glass bottle.
Obiously scrap glass. Don't waste your time on them!!

Jan 31, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #8,628 of 9,892
Also, you can take this for what it's worth - but I am sure some of you have EL36/EL360s that you have not attempted to run in the Ultimate because of the original test data from UT. I can't be 100% sure what went wrong with his testing, but something was not right - I am assuming some sort of incompatibility in the wiring of the adapters causing plate current to skyrocket. I have had this happen to me before when I got my wires crossed, literally with different adapters/tubes.. plate current would skyrocket once it started to warm up, straight into 100+mA and beyond - but this was due to my mistake when making the adapter.

Here is a pair of very strong testing Blackburn made EL36s running just over 62mA - which is well within the +10% margin allowed per Eric.
1706732197536.png

Here is a pair of CV5830 (EL360 equiv) from Langrex which biases out 63.5mA - still well within the +10% margin.

1706732215343.png

Here today, they are being driven by the A2913s.
1706732257961.png

And as you can see, the bias switch is set to the default position
1706732282289.png

Because they run safely in the default bias switch position in my amp, they should in everyone else's Ultimate too. They all stay within the +10% margin of safety per Eric.

P.S. You are all grown adults here and can make your own decisions, and one of the most important ones would be to use the test points if you try to run these tubes (or any other tube you've never ran before, for that matter) just to be safe. If you make an adult decision and choose not to and your amp turns into a paper weight, well that is not anyone else's fault except your own. Other than that, these sound fantastic as outputs :sweat_smile:

Jan 31, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #8,629 of 9,892
Well, I sure think I have an interesting tube here today to try - interesting because no one, myself included seems to know anything about them or has ever heard of them.

Outside of the Valve Museum and Radio Museum pages, and the CV equiv datasheet, there is essentially nothing (including forum posts across the web) written about these tubes, which is very surprising given that they a GEC single triodes.

GEC A2913/CV5413/CV4081

Here is a picture for you guys, gold pins and all

1706714228759.png

And the best part (especially considering the fact that I have no idea if they sound good, terrible, or amazing) is they were very inexpensive, 15 GBP for the 5 here.. crossing my fingers I got extremely lucky since the vendor is now out of stock.
So after the entire day running them I can positively say they are good - how good? Well, I will let your imagination determine that :sweat_smile:

One interesting thing about them is that they are the only input that sounds substantially better with strapped pentodes as outputs, particularly the EL36/360 and Type 42. These little guys have given me a reason to use these pentodes now, thank god, as I thought they were going to collect dust for the next decade.

1706741105048.png

Feb 3, 2024 at 5:28 AM Post #8,630 of 9,892
UltimatE is worth every effort, so instead of “RME ADI-2 DAC” there is now a “Holo Audio Cyan 2”.
The sound of the Cyan 2 is much more physical, which is particularly good for a Sennheiser HD800s.

To avoid a double post of the photo >>> CLICK

Feb 3, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #8,631 of 9,892
UltimatE is worth every effort, so instead of “RME ADI-2 DAC” there is now a “Holo Audio Cyan 2”.
The sound of the Cyan 2 is much more physical, which is particularly good for a Sennheiser HD800s.

That’s a He1000se ?

Feb 3, 2024 at 6:30 AM Post #8,633 of 9,892

I just sold my RME ADI-2 DAC and bought a Denafrips Pontus ll and my soundstage has greatly improved, through Harbeths & Headphones, Taller, Wider & Deeper, lovely combination. I’m very pleased.

Feb 3, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #8,635 of 9,892
The HEKSE causes painful pressure on the jaw.

That’s because it’s new. You need to break it in by wearing it more. He1000se was my resident headphone until I got Susvara.

He1000se and LCD4 was what I had at that time. Surprisingly I hardly use HD800 at that time even though I had it since 2017.

I also had He6se v2 at that time.

Feb 3, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #8,636 of 9,892
That’s because it’s new. You need to break it in by wearing it more. He1000se was my resident headphone until I got Susvara…
I would probably prefer the sound of the He1000se if I didn't feel like putting the headphones down after a few minutes, I'm afraid we won't be friends.
Surprisingly I hardly use HD800 at that time even though I had it since 2017.
No wonder, back then you didn't have an UltimatE with EL39 and probably no YGGDRASIL, I think the HD800s benefits disproportionately from both. I like the sound of the HD800s, plus its convenience.

Feb 3, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #8,637 of 9,892
No wonder, back then you didn't have an UltimatE with EL39 and probably no YGGDRASIL, I think the HD800s benefits disproportionately from both. I like the sound of the HD800s, plus its convenience.

I bought Yggdrasil and HD800 at the same time with Ragnarok. After GOTL arrived Ragnarok became a door stopper. Then followed LCD2, 3 and Verite Open LTD Pheasant wood.

I was using EL39 and EL12 spez with Odyssey way before Ultimate. All my good power tubes were purchased for Odyssey, way before Ultimate arrived.

Feb 3, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #8,638 of 9,892
I bought Yggdrasil and HD800 at the same time with Ragnarok. After GOTL arrived Ragnarok became a door stopper. Then followed LCD2, 3 and Verite Open LTD Pheasant wood.

I was using EL39 and EL12 spez with Odyssey way before Ultimate. All my good power tubes were purchased for Odyssey, way before Ultimate arrived.
What we learn from this:

UltimatE makes the difference 🥂

Feb 3, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #8,640 of 9,892
I would probably prefer the sound of the He1000se if I didn't feel like putting the headphones down after a few minutes, I'm afraid we won't be friends.

You could get one of these TOTL headphone break in manikin heads, which can come with, or without the facial hair - ofc this is dependent on the human which will end up using them, as the facial hair can make all the difference!

1707001673363.png

*Additional cost of $400 for TOTL facial hair

Users who are viewing this thread

Back