Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Feb 3, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #8,641 of 9,894
You could get one of these TOTL headphone break in manikin heads, which can come with, or without the facial hair - ofc this is dependent on the human which will end up using them, as the facial hair can make all the difference!

1707001673363.png

*Additional cost of $400 for TOTL facial hair
Do they make them that don't look like @UntilThen ? 🤣

Feb 3, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #8,642 of 9,894
Got a pair of Tungsram L63 / CV 1932 tubes from Langrex, here they are joining the TS KT170 and Mazda EZ81. Looks like a lotta glass in the Ultimini! Compared to the RCA & WE 6J5 metal cans; bass is just as strong while a little tighter, and a more airy sparkling top end, without stridency or sibilance. Staging a bit wider and deeper. Ding ding ding - a winner! Listening to 2021 Steely Dan NE Corridor concert:
Edit to include a better shot😉

Attachments

• IMG_6189.jpeg
    IMG_6189.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6195.jpeg
    IMG_6195.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 8:29 PM Post #8,643 of 9,894
Very nice,👍. @David A Silva
L63 is it another designation of 6J5 or an independent tube?

There is currently nothing new from me.
I'm currently listening to the Euforia to evaluate the 6SN7 Ray from Apos Audio.
I also put it briefly into the Ultimate to hear where it moves.
When I've finished testing the Euforia, I'll put it in the Ultimate for further listening sessions.
Apos has once again brought another good tube onto the market for us.
This much I can already say, and the Euforia has really opened up with the Mullard 6080.
Unfortunately, for me it is one of the few combinable options that work very well.
I really prefer Ultimate.
The Euforia is advertised but no one has got in touch.

Feb 3, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #8,644 of 9,894
Very nice,👍. @David A Silva
L63 is it another designation of 6J5 or an independent tube?

There is currently nothing new from me.
I'm currently listening to the Euforia to evaluate the 6SN7 Ray from Apos Audio.
I also put it briefly into the Ultimate to hear where it moves.
When I've finished testing the Euforia, I'll put it in the Ultimate for further listening sessions.
Apos has once again brought another good tube onto the market for us.
This much I can already say, and the Euforia has really opened up with the Mullard 6080.
Unfortunately, for me it is one of the few combinable options that work very well.
I really prefer Ultimate.
The Euforia is advertised but no one has got in touch.
Yes @Deleeh , it apparently is a 6J5 equivalent. The tube only has a CV 1932 glass printing. I forgot which kind Head-Fi member mentioned this Tungsram tube - thanks to that member and sorry for my poor memory!
I tip my hat to you for your Apos tube testing!

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #8,646 of 9,894
Got a pair of Tungsram L63 / CV 1932 tubes from Langrex, here they are joining the TS KT170 and Mazda EZ81. Looks like a lotta glass in the Ultimini! Compared to the RCA & WE 6J5 metal cans; bass is just as strong while a little tighter, and a more airy sparkling top end, without stridency or sibilance. Staging a bit wider and deeper. Ding ding ding - a winner! Listening to 2021 Steely Dan NE Corridor concert:

What a gorgeous pair of B cups on your mini.

Feb 4, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #8,648 of 9,894
6P14P is a cheap way to sample an amazing tone in Ultimate . Don’t worry about the low voltage reading. It is perfectly fine.

EL84 is another example of how versatile Ultimate can be.
Matt hope your vacation continues to be stellar. Can anyone confirm that xulingmrs' EL84 to 6V6 adapters are the correct ones to rune EL84 as powers in UltimatE? I am interested in trying these, additional impressions welcomed as well. Thanks all, happy Sunday!

Feb 4, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #8,649 of 9,894
Matt hope your vacation continues to be stellar. Can anyone confirm that xulingmrs' EL84 to 6V6 adapters are the correct ones to rune EL84 as powers in UltimatE? I am interested in trying these, additional impressions welcomed as well. Thanks all, happy Sunday!
Those are the correct adapters (as listed in my table).

Feb 4, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #8,650 of 9,894
@LoryWiv

Hello,

I got adapters on loan from @albertmuc and the Russian EL84.
I don't have a bad impression of them, even if the Russian ones are a bit dry sounding, I think other EL84 are better like Mullard or Japanese.
However, there is something to consider when using EL84s because they have a high mu factor, 12AU7/6SN7 are the better tubes and because they have a low mu factor it balances out wonderfully.
You will notice this immediately when operating the potentiometer if you previously had 12AT7s in it.
The potentiometer reacts quite sensitively to this.
In terms of sound, 12AU7/6SN7 also sound a little rounder and fuller with more air.
12AT7 is not wrong, everything is a little more tightly structured, depending on the 12At7, details can sometimes be lost because it is a little overlaid.
Similar to 12AX7, when 12AT7 is better you immediately realise that 12Ax7 is good but everything sounds very layered.
Like a kind of clipping from a visual point of view.

As so often there are good 12AU7/6Sn7 on the market that the El84 is definitely worth it, especially for high impedance headphones, for low impedance headphones it might be too much.
But you have to try it out.
It's not quite as serious as it sounds, but you should keep it in mind.
Low-ohm headphones may react more sensitively to the 12AT7.
So far I've only tried the EL84 with the Mullard M8162 and haven't got round to trying out any other 12AT7s as I have another project to finish.
6SN7 Brimar GTY also sounded very reasonable with the Russian I just remembered.

If you take all this into account, EL84 is an absolute predator tube on Ultimate.
You just need to know how to drive them properly with the right 12AU7/6SN7 tubes.
The whole process also affects other output tubes and driver tubes on Ultimate in general as I mentioned.
Ultimate gets more out of the sound when you understand how to drive it.

In Euforia I don't have any options here and everything runs on the warm/neutral track depending on the tube, and that's it, so Euforia is almost boring again.
And there are only combinations that work or don't work.
With Ultimate this is not a priority, but if you know the Mu factor of the tubes you want to use, that's what makes it to the end game.
Warm/neutral tends to come in third place, which then goes into the category if you like the whole rough and have found out that you like it that way, it's a matter of taste.
In 2nd place I would say if you have considered point 1 you have to consider whether you like it that way before you move on to step 3.
If you take this into account as a total package, you will always have a good match with the tubes 90% of the time and never have problems driving headphones and consciously directing them where you want and desire.

With the Meze and Focal, I would still be a little cautious if you were to try it.
Always set the potentiometer to zero before you plug it in and pay attention to the sensitivity.
If it really is too much, I would try to reduce the volume on the Matrix X-Sabre Pro preamp if possible.
But this is only a last resort.
I don't think you will lose headroom and dynamics if the control system allows more leeway.
In any case, it should be there again if you can turn up the potentiometer on the Ultimate further.

Feb 4, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #8,653 of 9,894
I got these 2 pairs of NOS tube 6C5 for less than $30.00 US. Does any body ever try them on the Junior Ultimate or Super Ultimate?.

PXL_20240204_202033940 (2).jpg
I have several 6C5/GT tubes but did not try them yet in the Ultimate. The 6C5 is a predecessor to the 6J5.
Feel the weight of the Ken-Rads - if they are unusually heavy it is possible that they have lead in the metal bases for low microphonics. -Some WWII runs were made like that.
The RCA DE code is November 1963.

Feb 4, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #8,654 of 9,894
I have several 6C5/GT tubes but did not try them yet in the Ultimate. The 6C5 is a predecessor to the 6J5.
Feel the weight of the Ken-Rads - if they are unusually heavy it is possible that they have lead in the metal bases for low microphonics. -Some WWII runs were made like that.
The RCA DE code is November 1963.
Thank you @mordy for the information. The Ken Rad has code Y2 R ?. I have couple pairs of 6J5GT and TS6V6GT with metal bases and they weight exactly the same with the Ken Rad 6C5, 1.3 oz on the Postal Scale.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back