Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Nov 20, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #7,547 of 9,894
I was able to attend a Arizona head-fi meet this past Saturday and I took both of my McChanson amps. It was great to see all of gear that was there and to get to listen to the gear that was there. Best part was just visiting and getting to know a lot of the other head-fi members in the area. I've always been a prolific reader, more of a professional lurker as I don't really comment a lot but I do pay attention to what is going on. Here is a link to the different threads where there are comments. There was a couple of SBAF members there and they have posted pictures along with comments on SBAF too. I'm grateful to Eric and Matt to have the two McChanson amps that I have. Matt was the one who introduced me to Eric back in 2021.

Arizona Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread (2023-11-18)
SBAF posting with pictures and comments
Arizona Head-Fi Meet Announcement with Pictures

Nov 20, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #7,549 of 9,894
I was able to attend a Arizona head-fi meet this past Saturday and I took both of my McChanson amps. It was great to see all of gear that was there and to get to listen to the gear that was there. Best part was just visiting and getting to know a lot of the other head-fi members in the area. I've always been a prolific reader, more of a professional lurker as I don't really comment a lot but I do pay attention to what is going on. Here is a link to the different threads where there are comments. There was a couple of SBAF members there and they have posted pictures along with comments on SBAF too. I'm grateful to Eric and Matt to have the two McChanson amps that I have. Matt was the one who introduced me to Eric back in 2021.

Arizona Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread (2023-11-18)
SBAF posting with pictures and comments
Arizona Head-Fi Meet Announcement with Pictures

I am glad that you attended a great Meet and there have been very favourable comments on your 2 McChanson amps.

I believe @M3NTAL singled out the Chameleon/Susvara and Ultimate/LCD-R combo out of a field of great gear there.

Nov 20, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #7,551 of 9,894
Did you try EL12N already? Just waiting for your reaction when you try it.
Finally found my German Steel bathtub adapters for the EL12N.
My reaction? Jaw dropping! WOW! Thanks for the tip!
IMG_2234.jpgIMG_2235.jpg
Brown getter flash sounds better, no? BTW, all EL12N, regardless of brand, were made in East Germany in probably an old Telefunken factory.
The presentation is a little dark with the 6F8G so I put in an lighter sounding tube (7N7) - sound is spectacular...

Nov 20, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #7,552 of 9,894
Finally found my German Steel bathtub adapters for the EL12N.
My reaction? Jaw dropping! WOW! Thanks for the tip!

Brown getter flash sounds better, no? BTW, all EL12N, regardless of brand, were made in East Germany in probably an old Telefunken factory.
The presentation is a little dark with the 6F8G so I put in an lighter sounding tube (7N7) - sound is spectacular...

I can only smile Mordy. :) All of EL11, EL12, EL12N, EL12 spez are great as power tubes in Ultimate.

If you have c3g, then you must try them as drivers or power tubes. They will take you all the way to heaven but you are not coming back. Maybe c3g driving c3g will bring you back to earth again.

Nov 20, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #7,553 of 9,894
As a precaution, I would like to express once again how much Eric is gathering information and trying to find a solution. I will do my part to the best of my ability and we will get there. Why am I asking in the thread, simply because I am hoping for a banal solution to a commonplace problem, which may well be my responsibility.

Despite the hum, the UltimatE sounds better than the strengths of my two previous amplifiers RME-ADI 2 Dac and Violectric V222 together. It seems to me that the UltimatE takes the precision of the RME, plus the warmth and bass of the Violectric, mixes it and adds a dash of magic.
I didn't expect this with the inexpensive standard tubes and not yet burned in caps.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #7,554 of 9,894
As a precaution, I would like to express once again how much Eric is gathering information and trying to find a solution. I will do my part to the best of my ability and we will get there. Why am I asking in the thread, simply because I am hoping for a banal solution to a commonplace problem, which may well be my responsibility.

Despite the hum, the UltimatE sounds better than the strengths of my two previous amplifiers RME-ADI 2 Dac and Violectric V222. It seems to me that the UltimatE takes the precision of the RME, plus the warmth and bass of the Violectric, mixes it and adds a dash of magic.

You know that Eric will do to the best of his ability to help his customers. Just see what he did for Lory's amp.

The hum you're getting is very strange. It was perfect when I tested it for more than a week. Ultimates that have been shipped to USA and even to @Deleeh in Germany (same country as you) do not have this problem. I will not interfere. This is for Eric to help you. Anyone who is not a technical guy should not be putting forth their 2 cents here to cloud the issue even more.

Nov 20, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #7,555 of 9,894
Got offered an Enleum amp23r a few weeks back. I had it for about 3 weeks.

Read so much about this mythical beast and had high expectations.

Let’s just say it was no competition!! The Mchanson was so much better.

I was already predicting Ultimate would be thrashed by the Korean amp. Happy to say the Mchanson was better in drive, tonality, music flow etc…

My wallet was also happy for i saved a lot of $$$$

Good thing is that my curiosity got satisfied.

So the Mchanson has beaten 2 Giants in my system. The Riveria AiC10 and now the Enleum.

Nov 20, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #7,556 of 9,894
Got offered an Enleum amp23r a few weeks back. I had it for about 3 weeks.

Read so much about this mythical beast and had high expectations.

Let’s just say it was no competition!! The Mchanson was so much better.

I was already predicting Ultimate would be thrashed by the Korean amp. Happy to say the Mchanson was better in drive, tonality, music flow etc…

My wallet was also happy for i saved a lot of $$$$

Good thing is that my curiosity got satisfied.

So the Mchanson has beaten 2 Giants in my system. The Riveria AiC10 and now the Enleum.

I did spend some time With Enleum 23r amp. @xtiva loan it to me for evaluation. I was comparing it to Odyssey and much prefer Odyssey.

Now I have Ultimate on par with Odyssey. That means I much prefer Ultimate over Enleum, the latter is AUD$11,000. :)

IMG_5325.jpg

Nov 20, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #7,558 of 9,894
I can only smile Mordy. :) All of EL11, EL12, EL12N, EL12 spez are great as power tubes in Ultimate.

If you have c3g, then you must try them as drivers or power tubes. They will take you all the way to heaven but you are not coming back. Maybe c3g driving c3g will bring you back to earth again.
I have a bunch of C3g tubes; even a pair with S handwritten on the box. What kind of adapter(s) do you need?

Nov 21, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #7,559 of 9,894
I have a bunch of C3g tubes; even a pair with S handwritten on the box. What kind of adapter(s) do you need?

Mrs X made me a pair of c3g to 6J5 adapters but she won't release more for sale until I have tested them. The adapters will arrived at my address after I have gone on holidays. That means I won't be testing it until I return in early March 2024. :)

Eric has confirmed that these c3g to 6J5 adapters can be used in the 6J5 and 6Y6 sockets of Ultimate. That means if you get 2 pairs, you can have c3g driving c3g. :)

So please be patience while I soak in the sun and sea in Chiang Mai Thailand and Malaysia.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/204543890083

Nov 21, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #7,560 of 9,894
@nmat79 is a nice guy. He doesn't post on Head-Fi but I know he reads this thread. He sends Eric and I an email with this picture attached. Said he is loving SupremE and in the picture you can see he is using Abyss 1266 TC and enjoying it.

Enjoy Matt, you deserved all the 3 McChanson amps in your possession.

ymail-tmp-3889892700571203671.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back