Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Nov 21, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #7,561 of 9,894
I have a bunch of C3g tubes; even a pair with S handwritten on the box. What kind of adapter(s) do you need?
Mrs. X has made a C3G to 6J5 adapter but wants Matt to test the adapter before she will make more of them. Unfortunately the adapter will probably not arrive to Matt before he leaves on vacation in December. So Matt's testing of the adapter will have to wait until he returns home in March. Just need to be patient and keep rolling the inexpensive tubes.

I did use a 6EM7 type tube last week as the power tube in my Super UltimatE. Since I have the Chameleon amp, from Eric, and it uses 6EM7 tubes which 6FY7 is a substitute I picked up 5 new Amperex 6FY7 tubes for $25.00 dollars which included shipping form Virginia to Arizona. I also bought a couple of 6FY7 to 6EM7 adapters from Mrs. X to be able to use the 12 pin 6FY7 tubes in either Chameleon or the Super UltimatE. I don't think one can get a better sounding amplifier than the UltimatE and be using a 5 dollar power tube! I need to use a couple of the 6FY7 tubes for the drivers too!

I do apologize for adding another tube to the list but at $5 dollars a tube for great sound I couldn't pass up the opportunity to see what all the fuss was concerning the 6EM7 tube as a power tube. It is a fantastic tube. Just don't forget that the 6FY7 to 6EM7 adapter has to be plugged into the 6EM7 to 6J5 adapter when being used in the power slot!

RFT-EZ80_Brimar 6J5G_6FY7_LCD-R.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #7,562 of 9,894
I was actually quite shocked how much better the Ultimate was. Or how average the Enleum was.

I know that. When I said that Destiny (McChanson 300b amp) sounded as good as Feliks Audio Envy, probably no one believes me but those who have sampled McChanson amps will know.

Eric will go on holidays in Jan 2024. A deserved break I would say because to date there must have been at least 20 Ultimates that were made since April 2023.

Nov 21, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #7,563 of 9,894
I don't think one can get a better sounding amplifier than the UltimatE and be using a 5 dollar power tube!

Haha this is true. The amp can sound good on a $5 power tube but wait till you drop in some nice exotic tubes.

My pair of Visseaux 6K6GT from Langrex arrived and I have been using it for 2 days. Whilst it's nice, there are obviously better power tubes in my stash.

Nov 21, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #7,565 of 9,894
As a precaution, I would like to express once again how much Eric is gathering information and trying to find a solution. I will do my part to the best of my ability and we will get there. Why am I asking in the thread, simply because I am hoping for a banal solution to a commonplace problem, which may well be my responsibility.
Have you tried an isolation transformer? Something like:
https://www.distrelec.de/en/isolati...f1263e32a23e2b061951f7ad018&itemList=category

Nov 21, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #7,566 of 9,894
In preparation for UltimatE, a "Furman 210 A-E" was installed. This actually made the sound more precise, which was rather surprising to me.

I'm not currently using an isolation transformer, but I'm willing to purchase anything that creates a proper working environment for UltimatE.

Zachi, thank you for your comment 🙏
I have touched this topic in the forum for such positive thoughts!

Nevertheless, it is annoying that a side topic distracts from the real thing, the incredible sound of the UltimatE. It's understandable that Matt is passionate about UltimatE, if Matt praises UltimatE, then we can attribute this to his philanthropy.

Nov 21, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #7,567 of 9,894
Nevertheless, it is annoying that a side topic distracts from the real thing, the incredible sound of the UltimatE. It's understandable that Matt is passionate about UltimatE, if Matt praises UltimatE, then we can attribute this to his philanthropy.

Holy torpedo, don't call me a philanthropist. I'm no Bill Gates.

Just to be clear, this Ultimate project is first and foremost for myself. I was looking for a tube amp quiet enough for Grado headphones and yet have power to drive Susvara. When I find it's good, I share it here and I'm glad there are many who have now owned Ultimates.

Cheers to Eric for building such an amp that is loved by many. :beerchug: It's beyond good now. :beyersmile:

Nov 21, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #7,568 of 9,894
As a precaution, I would like to express once again how much Eric is gathering information and trying to find a solution. I will do my part to the best of my ability and we will get there. Why am I asking in the thread, simply because I am hoping for a banal solution to a commonplace problem, which may well be my responsibility.

Despite the hum, the UltimatE sounds better than the strengths of my two previous amplifiers RME-ADI 2 Dac and Violectric V222 together. It seems to me that the UltimatE takes the precision of the RME, plus the warmth and bass of the Violectric, mixes it and adds a dash of magic.
I didn't expect this with the inexpensive standard tubes and not yet burned in caps.
Albert, the majority of civilised countries in the world have the neutral line connected to earth, Australians no different to Germany. My house has 2 independently fused mains power circuits, I have noticed one does carry a hum, fortunately I am not running my hifi on that circuit, there is NO hum on my McC amps. If you have seperate circuits in your abode try your amp,on another circuit, there maybe something on the circuit causing a hum in your amp. To,save moving equipment plug an extension lead in the other circuit and run it over to the amp. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #7,569 of 9,894
Albert, the majority of civilised countries in the world have the neutral line connected to earth, Australians no different to Germany. My house has 2 independently fused mains power circuits, I have noticed one does carry a hum, fortunately I am not running my hifi on that circuit, there is NO hum on my McC amps. If you have seperate circuits in your abode try your amp,on another circuit, there maybe something on the circuit causing a hum in your amp. To,save moving equipment plug an extension lead in the other circuit and run it over to the amp. Good Luck.
Nick, thank you very much for your experience, it's good that we're talking about it, I think everyone can benefit from it at some point.
Unfortunately, my house is older, there aren't that many electrical circuits, but I could probably lay a new line, it would definitely be annoying, but still a solution 🙏

Eric already has something in mind, I would like to follow that first, then choose the best option. I think the problem will soon be solved in a good way, Eric is taking an uncompromising approach.

Back to the topic: UltimatE sounds excellent, unbelievable 🎶 🎵

Nov 21, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #7,570 of 9,894
I am glad that you attended a great Meet and there have been very favourable comments on your 2 McChanson amps.

I believe @M3NTAL singled out the Chameleon/Susvara and Ultimate/LCD-R combo out of a field of great gear there.
Yes - thank you for putting the equipment names together. I guess I'm going to have to readup on the 'ultimate' - Very impressive LCD-R setup.

Aside - The Schiit Lokius, for me, was the icing on the cake with that system.

Nov 21, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #7,571 of 9,894
Eric already has something in mind, I would like to follow that first, then choose the best option. I think the problem will soon be solved in a good way, Eric is taking an uncompromising approach.
If Eric's idea makes a positive change for you - please share for the community benefit.
Good luck!

Nov 21, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #7,572 of 9,894
Yes - thank you for putting the equipment names together. I guess I'm going to have to readup on the 'ultimate' - Very impressive LCD-R setup.

LCD-R is 2 ohms and 103 dB. If Ultimate drives that well then that's impressive. I use mainly Susvara and HD800 and Ultimate drives them beautifully. Other headphones I have tried them successfully are Grado GH1, Focal Utopia 2022, LCD-5, He6 V2.

Nov 21, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #7,574 of 9,894

That Chameleon amp you heard with Susvara is a KT170 speaker tube amp in single ended configuration. Specs is about 20w into 4 ohms. It will drive a pair of bookshelf speakers no problem. Besides KT170 tubes, you can of course use KT150, KT88, EL34, 6L6GC, 6550, EL156 etc.

Chameleon is quiet for the insensitive Susvara and is quiet with LCD-4 too but will hum with sensitive headphones like Grado because it's a speaker amp using AC filament current.

A few years ago, @rollinbr approached me to help him get an amp from Eric because Eric doesn't sell to USA customers at that time. I agree and tested the amp and did the shipping to Bryant myself when Eric has finished building the amp. So I spend at least a week with the amp before I shipped it to Bryant. It's probably the most expensive McChanson's amp because it use Super Silk transformers for everything - power transformer, output transformers, choke. It's also the first time Eric agreed to that symmetrical layout.

The timing was crazy because Chameleon came at the same time as Odyssey. I have 2 big toys to play with during that period.

That's Chameleon running 6EW7 drivers, EL39 power tubes and Sittard GZ34 rectifier.

IMG_2916.jpg

Nov 21, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #7,575 of 9,894
Nick, thank you very much for your experience, it's good that we're talking about it, I think everyone can benefit from it at some point.
Unfortunately, my house is older, there aren't that many electrical circuits, but I could probably lay a new line, it would definitely be annoying, but still a solution 🙏

Back to the topic: UltimatE sounds excellent, unbelievable 🎶 🎵
This ^^* , if you can lay a new line to it’s own breaker / fuse that would be ideal. If no spare breaker / fuse, running a new line to a circuit without big appliances might do the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back