Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Nov 20, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #7,531 of 9,894
Update:

UltimatE arrived a few hours ago in good health, no wonder, the double packaging was perfect.

UltimatE looks better in the original than in photos, a positive surprise. I'll give myself a few more days until I'm patient enough to take the first suitable photo. Now I want to listen to music.

A humming problem needs to be solved: The humming occurs even without a connection cable to the source device, so it comes from the power cable. Depending on the position of the volume control, the hum changes its sound and position from right to center. I was hoping the upstream Furman AC-210 would prevent this. Tips are welcome... 🤔

Despite the hum and even in its current new condition, UltimatE leaves my Violectric V222 out in the cold. There is a difference of two classes, this with Eric's standard 6Y6G tubes.

My expectations were exceeded; such an improvement in sound was unimaginable for me.

Matt, thank you 🙏
Sounds like possible grounding issue to me.

FOR TESTING ONLY grab a ground lift plug for a few bucks and see if the hum goes away.

I experienced same exact symptoms in my amp which ended up being a grounding issue, which I first isolated by lifting the ground.

Nov 20, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #7,532 of 9,894
Update:

UltimatE arrived a few hours ago in good health, no wonder, the double packaging was perfect.

UltimatE looks better in the original than in photos, a positive surprise. I'll give myself a few more days until I'm patient enough to take the first suitable photo. Now I want to listen to music.

A humming problem needs to be solved: The humming occurs even without a connection cable to the source device, so it comes from the power cable. Depending on the position of the volume control, the hum changes its sound and position from right to center. I was hoping the upstream Furman AC-210 would prevent this. Tips are welcome... 🤔

Despite the hum and even in its current new condition, UltimatE leaves my Violectric V222 out in the cold. There is a difference of two classes, this with Eric's standard 6Y6G tubes.

My expectations were exceeded; such an improvement in sound was unimaginable for me.

Matt, thank you 🙏
Another possibility is RF or EMI interference being picked up by the tubes. Consider moving potential sources such as a wi-fi router to a greater distance from the amp and see if that makes a difference.

Nov 20, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #7,533 of 9,894
Sounds like possible grounding issue to me.

FOR TESTING ONLY grab a ground lift plug for a few bucks and see if the hum goes away.

I experienced same exact symptoms in my amp which ended up being a grounding issue, which I first isolated by lifting the ground.
A ground lift plug could be tested, but I'm afraid that this trick won't work (although I could try :thinking: ) with my ancient power network because the protective conductor (earth) corresponds to the neutral conductor. A circuit that has been banned for a long time.

Another possibility is RF or EMI interference being picked up by the tubes. Consider moving potential sources such as a wi-fi router to a greater distance from the amp and see if that makes a difference.
Live in a single-family home, Wifi was switched off as a test, mobile phone was placed away > no difference, hum unchanged.

Both branches (6J5 and 6SN7) of the driver tube hum to varying degrees.

Otherwise tried: Rectifier tube replaced > no difference, hum unchanged. Furman AC-210 removed, the hum remains the same or rather increases.

I'll try to fix the problem, UltimatE is worth any effort.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #7,534 of 9,894
A ground lift plug could be tested, but I'm afraid that this trick won't work (although I could try :thinking: ) with my ancient power network because the protective conductor (earth) corresponds to the neutral conductor. A circuit that has been banned for a long time.

Live in a single-family home, Wifi was switched off as a test, mobile phone was placed away > no difference, hum unchanged.

Both branches (6J5 and 6SN7) of the driver tube hum to varying degrees.

Otherwise tried: Rectifier tube replaced > no difference, hum unchanged. Furman AC-210 removed, the hum remains the same or rather increases.

I'll try to fix the problem, UltimatE is worth any effort.
This might sound like a weird question, but when the amp is on and you can hear the hum, if you touch the metal chassis with your hand, does the hum get less loud, change, or go away completely?

Nov 20, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #7,535 of 9,894
I touched all kinds of parts (what makes me feel very uncomfortable without white gloves :wink:) >>> I couldn't notice any change in the hum.

What can you conclude from this?

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #7,536 of 9,894
I touched all kinds of parts (what makes me feel very uncomfortable without white gloves :wink:) >>> I couldn't notice any change in the hum.

What can you conclude from this?
Well, with a grounding issue this usually will change the hum to a large degree, usually taking it away completely. Idk if this is always the case, but it was with my amp and a known "thing" for ground loops.

1700513288074.png

Nov 20, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #7,540 of 9,894
Well, I see you are in Germany and I think it would be 50hz hum one could hear for grounding issue, but they sound very similar to me

If that is what you hear, leaning towards a grounding issue of some kind.

But, I am far from an expert, mind you - lol.. I just dealt with one hell of a grounding issue with a custom amp I received this year that I solved myself through a whole lot of research and learning, but I ultimately needed to open the amp up and redo the entire grounding scheme myself, which was fun, lol

Nov 20, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #7,541 of 9,894
Well, I see you are in Germany and I think it would be 50hz hum one could hear for grounding issue, but they sound very similar to me

If that is what you hear, leaning towards a grounding issue of some kind.

In fact, the 50 Hz tone is pretty accurate.

If I have now insulated the earth from the UltimatE's power cable, the humming becomes stronger; if I touch the UltimatE, the humming becomes less. If I do the same test without isolating the earth from the power cable, the hum is quieter and remains unchanged when touched.

Nov 20, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #7,542 of 9,894
In fact, the 50 Hz tone is pretty accurate.

If I have now insulated the earth from the UltimatE's power cable, the humming becomes stronger; if I touch the UltimatE, the humming becomes less. If I do the same test without isolating the earth from the power cable, the hum is quieter and remains unchanged when touched.
@L0rdGwyn hey man, maybe you can chime in here and help out when you have time?

Nov 20, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #7,543 of 9,894
@L0rdGwyn hey man, maybe you can chime in here and help out when you have time?

I don't mean to be rude, but it would probably be best to address the issue with the amp builder first.

Nov 20, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #7,544 of 9,894
I don't mean to be rude, but it would probably be best to address the issue with the amp builder first.
Of course Eric is trying to help, for example with the tip to insulate the earth of the power cable or to replace tubes, but we don't have a solution yet. In addition, the amplifier was extensively tested before shipping and arrived in perfect condition. It could of course be due to my mains supply, earth and neutral are connected together, if this is the problem, Eric could not solve it…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back