Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Nov 18, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #7,516 of 9,894
On my last visit to Eric, he open the Pandora box for my Super Ultimate. Now I can use c3g as drivers and / or as power tubes. I can use 6v6, 6k6 without adapters in the 6J5 slots. I can use EL32 with its adapter of EL32 to 6Y6 in the 6J5 slots. Don't do this in your Ultimate because it hasn't been built that way.

Enjoy your Ultimate folks. I am taking a pause from posting here.

Nov 18, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #7,517 of 9,894
Telefunken c3g driving Telefunken EL12 spez. Not even on Odyssey could I do this. c3g is a very special driver. If you want to, you can ask Mrs X to make a c3g to 6J5 adapter, then use c3g as drivers in Super Ultimate.

Effectively with my amp, I can use c3g as both drivers and power tubes at the same time. c3g driving c3g. :wink:

IMG_8096.jpg

Nov 18, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #7,518 of 9,894
On my last visit to Eric, he open the Pandora box for my Super Ultimate. Now I can use c3g as drivers and / or as power tubes. I can use 6v6, 6k6 without adapters in the 6J5 slots. I can use EL32 with its adapter of EL32 to 6Y6 in the 6J5 slots. Don't do this in your Ultimate because it hasn't been built that way.

Enjoy your Ultimate folks. I am taking a pause from posting here.
LOL That was a short pause I make it under 1 hour between posts . . . .

Nov 18, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #7,519 of 9,894
( Apologies to UT who doesn't like Frankentube configurations )

Just got a pair of adapters 6BX7 to 6V6 for the power tubes in the UltimatE. That got me thinking - is it possible to use other tubes I have with the same pinout as the 6BX7?
Tried a pair of 6SN7 (see above) and with the right driver they sound very good.
From my past I have noticed that multiple power tubes at times increased the impact and slam. Since I have a quad of NEC 6SN7GTB (Channel Master label) I dusted off my old dual adapters and plugged everything in, including the multimeter. The single pair read 23.mA. Even doubling that would be well within the parameters of the amp. And 1.2A per side should not be a problem.
Let's try it!
Flicked on everything with one eye on the multimeter and one finger on the on/off switch, holding my breath.
IMG_2203.jpg

Looks safe.
Impressions: Volume increased a lot (instead of 12 o'clock I have to use 9 o'clock), lots of slam and impact and better controlled bass. And surprisingly, a wider sound stage. On live recordings the background noise is more prominent. I can hear people talking and laughing in the background that I didn't hear with other tube combinations. But the 6BL7 and these 6SN7 tubes have a certain rawness to the sound and the sound is not as refined as other tube combinations. Too much detail? Too demanding to listen to?

Verdict: Interesting - needs further driver tweaking and maybe me getting more used to the sound. BTW the amp runs very cool with these tubes - less hot than with the 6Y6G tubes.

Have fun!

Nov 18, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #7,520 of 9,894

Just got a pair of adapters 6BX7 to 6V6 for the power tubes in the UltimatE. That got me thinking - is it possible to use other tubes I have with the same pinout as the 6BX7?
Tried a pair of 6SN7 (see above) and with the right driver they sound very good.
From my past I have noticed that multiple power tubes at times increased the impact and slam. Since I have a quad of NEC 6SN7GTB (Channel Master label) I dusted off my old dual adapters and plugged everything in, including the multimeter. The single pair read 23.mA. Even doubling that would be well within the parameters of the amp. And 1.2A per side should not be a problem.
Let's try it!
Flicked on everything with one eye on the multimeter and one finger on the on/off switch, holding my breath.
IMG_2203.jpg
Looks safe.
Impressions: Volume increased a lot (instead of 12 o'clock I have to use 9 o'clock), lots of slam and impact and better controlled bass. And surprisingly, a wider sound stage. On live recordings the background noise is more prominent. I can hear people talking and laughing in the background that I didn't hear with other tube combinations. But the 6BL7 and these 6SN7 tubes have a certain rawness to the sound and the sound is not as refined as other tube combinations. Too much detail? Too demanding to listen to?

Verdict: Interesting - needs further driver tweaking and maybe me getting more used to the sound. BTW the amp runs very cool with these tubes - less hot than with the 6Y6G tubes.

Have fun!
Normally I don't listen much to classical music but tonight I did with the new quad configuration. It occurred to me that a recording of huge orchestra with perhaps 60-80 people would benefit from a very detailed presentation, and usually the audience is quiet without background noise. All I can say is that these recordings I listened to sound right:

Nov 19, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #7,521 of 9,894

Let's try it!
IMG_2203.jpg
Looks safe.

Have fun!
Very interesting, cheers mate 👍

Nov 19, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #7,522 of 9,894
One of my favorite power tubes is the Melz 6N12S (a 0.9A dual triode). Didn't think that it could be used in the UltimatE but here it is:
IMG_2225.jpg

Taking a break from the quad tubes which are demanding to listen to.
So how do the Melz 6N12S sound? As beautiful as this picture I just took of the leaves of a tree in front of my porch:
IMG_2217.jpg

I regard involuntary toe-tapping as a measure of how good something sounds - hard to sit still and not dance along with the music...
Sweetness and clarity are the hallmarks of the 6N12S.
This set-up also brings up the background details - wonder if it is the amp maturing? I am much more aware of the listeners reactions on live recordings.

Next maybe some unusual plattfuss rohre.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #7,524 of 9,894
I'm happy to read this. Very good picture of the sound, much better than waterfall diagrams and such.
Thanks - how do you say vibrant in Swedish?

I think google translate said it well (my translation in italics):

livfull - full of life
vibrant

lysande - illuminating, shining
pageant, vibrant

klangfull - great tonality
sonorous, vibrant

Nov 19, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #7,527 of 9,894
One of my favorite power tubes is the Melz 6N12S (a 0.9A dual triode). Didn't think that it could be used in the UltimatE but here it is:
IMG_2225.jpg
Taking a break from the quad tubes which are demanding to listen to.
So how do the Melz 6N12S sound? As beautiful as this picture I just took of the leaves of a tree in front of my porch:

@mordy...

What number would indicate "unsafe" operation?

Nov 19, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #7,529 of 9,894
According to Eric tubes with readings above 60mA should not be used - could overheat amp if I understand correctly.

Okay, sounds like the Rectifier limits how much current can be supplied the tube plates (anodes)
Just keep in mind that heater current amperage is completely separate from plate (anode) voltage and plate (anode) current draw.

Heaters run at low AC voltages but at a relatively high current.
Plates (anodes) are charged with high DC voltages but at very tiny amounts of current.

Example (Lets take a 6AS7):
Heater gets 6.3 volts of AC at 2.5 Amps of current (that is 2,500 milliamps). Gets AC from a separate winding of the Transformer does not pass through the rectifier circuit).
Plates (Anode) gets 250 volts of DC (that comes out of the rectifier circuit) at 130 milliamps (that is 130/1000 of 1 amp)

So as you can see...a 6AS7 would overtax the Rectifier circuit in this amp (plates / anode draws over the recommended 60 mA) and should never be used.

Tube Data sheets have the specs for typical plate (anode) voltages and current draw as well as heater voltages and their current draw.

Cheers, all....happy listening and happy tube rolling :)

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #7,530 of 9,894
Update:

UltimatE arrived a few hours ago in good health, no wonder, the double packaging was perfect.

UltimatE looks better in the original than in photos, a positive surprise. I'll give myself a few more days until I'm patient enough to take the first suitable photo. Now I want to listen to music.

A humming problem needs to be solved: The humming occurs even without a connection cable to the source device, so it comes from the power cable. Depending on the position of the volume control, the hum changes its sound and position from right to center. I was hoping the upstream Furman AC-210 would prevent this. Tips are welcome... 🤔

Despite the hum and even in its current new condition, UltimatE leaves my Violectric V222 out in the cold. There is a difference of two classes, this with Eric's standard 6Y6G tubes.

My expectations were exceeded; such an improvement in sound was unimaginable for me.

Matt, thank you 🙏

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back