Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Nov 16, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #7,486 of 9,894
Can you show me a photo of the top of your C3g please ? Do you have a variety of them ,
if so which sound the best ?

When I was rolling with c3g in GOTL (my GOTL had dedicated slots for them as drivers) I have 3 pairs. 2 pairs with Siemen C3G boxes and 1 pair with Telefunken boxes. Gibosi told me that the Telefunken are Siemen. What does it matter because that pair of Telefunken c3gs has the 's' suffix which means special and that means special price. Check ebay for prices now. :)

I almost bought a pair of Lorenz c3g but I didn't. Went on to collect EL11, EL12 and EL12 spez.

If you can find any pair of c3g in good condition, it's safe to buy it. They all sound special in relation to other tubes.

One of the best thing I did when I was selling GOTL is that I kept some tubes that are special:-

The 2 pairs of c3g
2 pairs of Mullard EL32 (smoke and clear glass)
All the 6N7G - Fivre, Visseaux, Mazda, Mullard, Marconi Canada
One new pair of Tung Sol 12SL7gt black glass round plates.
5 x FDD30

IMG_8093.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #7,487 of 9,894
When I was rolling with c3g in GOTL (my GOTL had dedicated slots for them as drivers) I have 3 pairs. 2 pairs with Siemen C3G boxes and 1 pair with Telefunken boxes. Gibosi told me that the Telefunken are Siemen. What does it matter because that pair of Telefunken c3gs has the 's' suffix which means special and that means special price. Check ebay for prices now. :)

I almost bought a pair of Lorenz c3g but I didn't. Went on to collect EL11, EL12 and EL12 spez.

If you can find any pair of c3g in good condition, it's safe to buy it. They all sound special in relation to other tubes.

One of the best thing I did when I was selling GOTL is that I kept some tubes that are special:-

The 2 pairs of c3g
2 pairs of Mullard EL32 (smoke and clear glass)
All the 6N7G - Fivre, Visseaux, Mazda, Mullard, Marconi Canada
One new pair of Tung Sol 12SL7gt black glass round plates.
5 x FDD30

IMG_8093.jpg
You mean FDD20, right?

Nov 16, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #7,488 of 9,894
@xtiva is joining me today for an Ultimate and Supreme day. :) With xtiva's ears, all he needs is 4 hours. :) If you have good ears and all you are given is one audition, you should be able to tell whether it's good, bad or ugly. :wink:

I think he's the most privilege besides me to have the opportunity to listen with these 2 amps side by side.

IMG_8094.jpg

Nov 16, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #7,490 of 9,894
I have to re-evaluate my decision to get Supreme.

Ultimate is with Raytheon 6J5gt, Siemens EL12, RFT EZ81. Supreme is with Raytheon 5751 Windmill, Miniwatt 45 and RCA 6BW4.

They are on par as far as sonic quality is concern. Both sounding very special and there is some similarity in the tone. No surprises there as both amps are from the same design topology.

Nov 16, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #7,491 of 9,894
Woke up to 27 likes. I'm likeable. :wink:

No I am talking about the tube. That new pair pf GEC KT88 with original boxes cost me AUD$1100 and I mean new. That is consider cheap. Check eBay for new GEC KT88 price if you can find any.
So how do you know about these likes, do they send emails or message when you get to certain numbers? Just curious to know in case I ever get some likes.

Nov 16, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #7,492 of 9,894
It's shown on your alerts when you log on head-fi in red numbers. It's the bell symbol at the top next to your log on, on your head-fi page. The same way you know when you get a private message.

Nov 16, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #7,493 of 9,894
In an hour's time, xtiva will be here. I will get him to give his unbiased view of Ultimate vs Supreme. He listens mainly to classical btw. Headphones are HD800, HD800S & Susvara. One thing's for sure. Soundstage won't be lacking. :wink:

Nov 16, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #7,494 of 9,894
Eric still has to finish soldering my amp but it looks real nice. Like a piece of furniture really. Very happy with the look. I’m currently stocking up my tube supply to bring out the best of this puppy.

2425D47D-34DA-471F-9C07-2A3D90388156.jpeg

209AA6BF-13DD-43E8-ACB3-AA6145226DD5.jpeg

Where are you Hikaru? Are you still enjoying your Junior 6BX7 amp? :relaxed:

Nov 16, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #7,495 of 9,894
I haven't written on here for a while as nothing much to say but just got a new DAC "Chord Qutest" and WOW made a massive difference with my ( Destiney2 300b Amp ) by Eric, I was using a Questyle CMA12 as a DAC so the Qutest was a huge up-grade, Way more Detail, soundstage, Way smoother & better SQ overall, I've Got a few HP's but mostly listening to my new Meze-Empyrean's, Here's a pic of my 300b Erics Amp at Untilthen's house before Covid hit, Have a SparkoS-Aries on the way too can't wait for that to arrive as it's meant to be exceptional especially paired with the Qutest .

Shane where are you !!! :) Come back for an impression of Destiny 2 after 3 years.

Nov 16, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #7,496 of 9,894
@xtiva has been here and just left. He prefers Ultimate over Supreme by a lot. Says it's airier, better treble and wider soundstage. I agree with him. I let him listen to Ultimate with only 2 sets of power tubes. Siemens EL12 and Siemens c3g. I think he prefers EL12 but was impressed by c3g with Ultimate driving my desktop speakers. c3g has super high gain. With Susvara, Ultimate needs only 9am on the volume dial.

With Supreme, I roll in 300b, 2a3 and 45 for him to listen. Both Ultimate and Supreme have similar 12AT7 drivers. Ultimate has TFK ECC801S and Supreme has GEC a2900. Gain is clearly less on Supreme than on Ultimate when listening with Susvara, HD800, HD800S.

This exercise has been good for my pocket. I don't need Supreme and I don't need HD800S. I will maintain Susvara and HD800.

xtiva and I listen to different genre but our choices have been similar so that is remarkable. We both love HD800 and Susvara.

Nov 16, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #7,497 of 9,894
Don't know what I got myself into now - got the 6BL/BX7 adapters for the Ultimate so that I can use 6BL/BX7 tubes as power tubes.
There was a time not so long ago when you could buy these tubes for a couple of bucks each and I bought a bunch.
It's going to take a while to sift out which ones sound the best...
Put in a pair of 6BL7GT tubes - first impression is that the sound is very powerful with thumping bass and they play loud. Need to figure out which driver to use - not sure if the NU 6F8G is the best choice with these.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #7,498 of 9,894
Don't know what I got myself into now - got the 6BL/BX7 adapters for the Ultimate so that I can use 6BL/BX7 tubes as power tubes.
There was a time not so long ago when you could buy these tubes for a couple of bucks each and I bought a bunch.
Put in a pair of 6BL7GT tubes - first impression is that the sound is very powerful with thumping bass and they play loud. Need to figure out which driver to use - not sure if the NU 6F8G is the best choice with these.

Somehow I suspected this.
Keep us posted 👍

Nov 16, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #7,499 of 9,894
@xtiva has been here and just left. He prefers Ultimate over Supreme by a lot. Says it's airier, better treble and wider soundstage. I agree with him. I let him listen to Ultimate with only 2 sets of power tubes. Siemens EL12 and Siemens c3g. I think he prefers EL12 but was impressed by c3g with Ultimate driving my desktop speakers. c3g has super high gain. With Susvara, Ultimate needs only 9am on the volume dial.

With Supreme, I roll in 300b, 2a3 and 45 for him to listen. Both Ultimate and Supreme have similar 12AT7 drivers. Ultimate has TFK ECC801S and Supreme has GEC a2900. Gain is clearly less on Supreme than on Ultimate when listening with Susvara, HD800, HD800S.

This exercise has been good for my pocket. I don't need Supreme and I don't need HD800S. I will maintain Susvara and HD800.

xtiva and I listen to different genre but our choices have been similar so that is remarkable. We both love HD800 and Susvara.

Nov 17, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #7,500 of 9,894

I did say that 6BX7, 6BL7 and 6EM7 are the 8th wonders of the world in Ultimate. :wink: Any good 12AT7 drivers, 6SL7 or 6SN7 will do. The better drivers will make it shine. Like GEC CV1135, Mullard ECC35 etc.

Let me get this straight. SupremE isn't bad. It's just that UltimatE is well............. ultimate. :) If you didn't have the Super Ultimate then the Super SupremE would shine too.

xtiva made a remark that the Super Ultimate today sounded more powerful than the last time he heard it. They are of course different Super Ultimates and also difference is of course burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back