Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Nov 15, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #7,456 of 9,894
To think that the 45 almost didn't make it in SupremE but I talk Eric into it. I said it has to happen and he did it. I spend a day enjoying this amp and I've not change 45 out yet because I'm simply enjoying it too much. Finesse, drive and a sense of realism. One word sums it up - purity of sound.

45 is ideally suited for headphones and even sensitive speakers. With Grado GH1, it's magic. I love it with HD800 too. Mat's going to love it when he gets it next week. Bryant probably looking forward to his too. Just buy one pair of NOS 45 tube or 245 or 345. Used ones are not that expensive compared to EL34 metal base.

Not much glow from the 45 tubes but the sound is dynamic and special.

IMG_8090.jpg

Nov 15, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #7,458 of 9,894
Eric's power output for SupremE. These are into 4 ohms.

45 is the oldest, smallest brother, with full power at 1.5W ( in SupremE, it is about half, say 1W ),
2A3 is double of 45, with max power at 3.5W ( about 2W in SupremE ),
300B is double of 2A3 with power about 7 to 8W ( about 4W in SupremE ).

Nov 15, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #7,459 of 9,894
@albertmuc your Super Gold Ultimate would have been picked by the courier yesterday. I saw it all boxed up and ready for pick up at Eric's place yesterday. UPS took 5 days from door to door - Sydney to USA. So you should get yours sometime next week. Hopefully German custom won't take as long as with @Deleeh's amp. :)

Nov 15, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #7,460 of 9,894
@albertmuc your Super Gold Ultimate would have been picked by the courier yesterday. I saw it all boxed up and ready for pick up at Eric's place yesterday. UPS took 5 days from door to door - Sydney to USA. So you should get yours sometime next week. Hopefully German custom won't take as long as with @Deleeh's amp. :)
UPS predicts that UltimatE will be playing at my place on Friday, hope dies last 😉
Anyway, a place of honor has been cleared and reserved. Photos will follow as soon as possible. Now it's time to stay patient, my strong side anyway 😇

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #7,461 of 9,894
UPS predicts that UltimatE will be playing at my place on Friday, hope dies last 😉
Anyway, a place of honor has been cleared and reserved. Photos will follow as soon as possible. Now it's time to stay patient, my strong side anyway 😇

Just in time for Christmas. Avoided the Christmas delivery jam. The timing couldn't have been better. :)

Nov 15, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #7,462 of 9,894
Just in time for Christmas. Avoided the Christmas delivery jam. The timing couldn't have been better. :)
Anticipation is the greatest joy, this time the exception will prove the rule, hopefully 😅

Nov 15, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #7,463 of 9,894
When I come back in March 2024, I will make my move on SupremE. It's not a question of will I get it. It's a question of when. It will be in gold of course, to partner the Super UltimatE. It will have Jupiters and Russian caps.

I'm debating whether to replace the 6J5 sockets for c3g instead but unlikely as I have a lot of 6J5 that I want to use.

Nov 15, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #7,465 of 9,894
You can use C3g via adapters in the 6J5 sockets so why should you?

Thank you, you are a legend. That is a light bulb moment. Why didn't I think about it?

I already have c3g to 6v6 adapters and c3g sound great as power tubes in Ultimate. So I ask Eric if I could use c3g with the c3g to 6v6 adapter in Ultimate's 6J5 as drivers. Eric said that c3g has an extra pin 4, for the screen grid. This will be hanging around when plug into the 6J5 with those adapters as 6J5 doesn't use pin 4 at all.

I tried it and there is sound but soft. So I do need a proper c3g to 6J5 adapter but Eric will modify my Ultimate to add a resistor on pins 3 and 4 in the 6J5 socket so when I use the c3g to 6v6 adapter, the c3g is triode tapped. :)

Problem solved. I can use the same adapter with c3g as both drivers and power tubes in Ultimate and Supreme. :)

and now Ultimate is singing mightily with c3g as power tubes.

I think I just love Ultimate and Supreme by 20% more with the inclusion of c3g as drivers. Maybe as much as 30%.

IMG_8091.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back