Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Nov 17, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #7,501 of 9,894
Playing around with my 6BX7 P adapters for power tubes in the UltimatE. The 6BL7 has a lot of raw power and bass. How about other tubes with the same pinout as the 6BL/BX7? Let's try a pair of 6SN7:
IMG_2200.jpg

This is a pair of Channelmaster 6SN7GTB AKA NEC Japan from July 1959. They measure around 23mA and play very loud. The GE labelled driver is a Lancaster, Pennsylvania Frankie 7N7. (Probably NU=Sylvania)
Every combination (almost) in the UltimatE sounds good and brings it's own flavor. This is light and airy and nice. The 6BL7 is bass-centric; these are mid-centric -did i make up new words?
Suddenly I have several dozen 6BL/BX/SN7 tubes to try...
It also looks like the UltimatE changed again and the bass became stronger.

Nov 17, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #7,506 of 9,894
Nov 17, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #7,507 of 9,894
Looks like Albert's Ultimate has cleared customs and is on it's way to him. I wonder why it took so long with Deleeh's Ultimate at German customs.
It was just luck 🍀 I just asked the friendly shipping employee to do what he was allowed to do for me and expressed my trust in him. I was very lucky that such a good and eager person took care of my request.

Nov 17, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #7,509 of 9,894
Has anyone used external power supply for the rectifier in order to try hungry input tubes? Would be easy to do. I don't expect UT to do it but maybe somebody is more adventurous :wink: . (I know there are plenty of tubes within limit but...).
Id be willing to do this is someone wants to send me a test amp, lol

Although, I am pretty sure @mordy has the technology to do this!

Nov 17, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #7,510 of 9,894
@xtiva is joining me today for an Ultimate and Supreme day. :) With xtiva's ears, all he needs is 4 hours. :) If you have good ears and all you are given is one audition, you should be able to tell whether it's good, bad or ugly. :wink:

I think he's the most privilege besides me to have the opportunity to listen with these 2 amps side by side.

IMG_8094.jpg
Hey Matt

Thanks for the privilege :)

I will need to save money soon to get this ultimate amp soon :)

Nov 17, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #7,511 of 9,894
Id be willing to do this is someone wants to send me a test amp, lol

Although, I am pretty sure @mordy has the technology** to do this!
** and escape route !! 🤣

Nov 17, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #7,512 of 9,894
Has anyone used external power supply for the rectifier in order to try hungry input tubes? Would be easy to do. I don't expect UT to do it but maybe somebody is more adventurous :wink: . (I know there are plenty of tubes within limit but...).

The thing I dislike most in the Elise thread, when people resort to using external power supplies to cater to more tubes. I have been there and done that.

If with the amount of tubes that one can use in Ultimate is still not sufficient, you have a problem.

Nov 17, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #7,513 of 9,894
The thing I dislike most in the Elise thread, when people resort to using external power supplies to cater to more tubes. I have been there and done that.

If with the amount of tubes that one can use in Ultimate is still not sufficient, you have a problem.
Using more tubes is not a problem if you have an external power supply :).
Buying lots of amps would be a problem for me....

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back